2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

4 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Ibanez is too valuable for the Tigers to give up especially with all their young left handed hitters.

There's a price on everybody.  If someone bids on him right, do it.  Promote Vilade for now, hopefully Leonard can rebound this season and fills the Ibanez void next season.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Harris strikes me as a guy more in tune with the scouting and development areas much more than the negotiations and bargaining side of the business.   That’s the part that my gut thinks he sucks at.  I’m not talking about the entire job as Pres/GM (at least not yet..).

What has Harris’ done that makes your gut think that? I can’t really think of a trade failure he’s had.

39 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I’m not commenting on the equity of the proposed deal. I am saying a prospect the caliber of Holliday (and there are very few) must be included and you can’t just substitute quantity.

Ah, gotcha.

Yes, on this, of course. Agree 100%.

Quality side = Skubal won't be traded unless Harris is happy with the top guys. Whether that's Holliday, or Basallo & Mayo, or whomever fits within the "must have quality" part of the deal... It will need to be that high a level of quality or Harris just says no.

On the quantity side, it will need to be both quality and quantity. Basallo, Mayo, Kjerstad, Povitch, AND Cam Weston just might be too much of an ask for Skubal... But I don't believe that's too far off. And even if Holliday isn't in there (Baltimore most likely will flat out refuse to trade their #1 guy... and the #1 in baseball (according to some)); would you (meaning anyone in here) pass up that trade package for Skubal?

Which has both quality AND quantity (I think BOTH will be an absolute requirement).

• Like 1

One further note on Flaherty:

If he dominates Cleveland... knocks them down flat...

The trade offers are going to spike way, way up. In quantity and quality.

Playoff teams love someone who can dominate other high level playoff teams. 

This would go highly on his resume.

Just sayin'...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Heres some floated rumors: https://www.mlb.com/news/jack-flaherty-rumors - Flaherty for Norby and Bradfield (BAL) or Flaherty for Dalton Rushing and Noah Miller (LAD)

I'd take Baltimore's deal in  heartbeat.

That is taken from Petzold's mock trade piece. He also had Skubal mock trades, which are more out there than some of the posters here. Agreed I would take that Norby & Bradfield deal for Flaherty but I just have a feeling Baltimore isn't going to want him after last year. 
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2024/07/24/detroit-tigers-trades-jack-flaherty-tarik-skubal-packages-dodger-orioles/74516846007/

Dodgers acquire: LHP Tarik Skubal.

Tigers acquire: OF Andy Pages, 3B Miguel Vargas, C/1B Dalton Rushing, OF Josue De Paula, RHP River Ryan, SS Alex Freeland, OF Eduardo Quintero.

Orioles acquire: LHP Tarik Skubal.

Tigers acquire: SS Jackson Holliday, 3B/1B Coby Mayo, 2B/OF Connor Norby, SS/3B Elvin Garcia.

4 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Agreed I would take that Norby & Bradfield deal for Flaherty but I just have a feeling Baltimore isn't going to want him after last year. 

Flaherty's time in Baltimore last season is a bit of a wrinkle, isn't it?

I looked at Bradfield's prospect commentary on MLB.com.  He sounds like a fun ballplayer for Comerica's CF.

Edited by casimir

It would be hard for me to say no to Holliday, Mayo plus if that were the return despite the fact I love Skubal. The fact is that guys like Skubal typically aren't elite for long periods of time anymore. For every Verlander there are a dozen Stephen Strasburgs so if we can get multiple elite position players who should be effective if not great for us for atleast the next half dozen years it would be hard to say no to. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Flaherty's time in Baltimore last season is a bit of a wrinkle, isn't it?

I looked at Bradfield's prospect commentary on MLB.com.  He sounds like a fun ballplayer for Comerica's CF.

Him, Clark and Riley would make for a pretty fast outfield not counting Parker. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It would be hard for me to say no to Holliday, Mayo plus if that were the return despite the fact I love Skubal. The fact is that guys like Skubal typically aren't elite for long periods of time anymore. For every Verlander there are a dozen Stephen Strasburgs so if we can get multiple elite position players who should be effective if not great for us for atleast the next half dozen years it would be hard to say no to. 

Valid point about a dozen Strasburgs to one Verlander.

17 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Heres some floated rumors: https://www.mlb.com/news/jack-flaherty-rumors - Flaherty for Norby and Bradfield (BAL) or Flaherty for Dalton Rushing and Noah Miller (LAD)

If it's Freeland and Rushing... I'd prefer that from LAD over the Orioles package. Maybe that's pushing it too much. But I'm shooting high, man.

What I don't like about Norby is that he's just another 2B'man, to add to Keith, Jung, Lee...

To me it's SS or 3B that does it for me. So from Baltimore:

Mayo and Povich (yes, I'm still asking for the moon... even for Flaherty).

11 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Pass on that Baltimore deal. 

Id take the Dodgers, Rushing is the level of prospect we should aim for as the headliner for Flaherty.

Bradfield has a .098 ISO as a 22 year old in A+. There is far too much projection and development needed for him to be the top prospect in any trade for Flaherty. He'd be intriguing as the second player paired with a top 100 prospect.

3 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Bradfield has a .098 ISO as a 22 year old in A+. There is far too much projection and development needed for him to be the top prospect in any trade for Flaherty. He'd be intriguing as the second player paired with a top 100 prospect.

I think Norby is the main prospect there. He's 24 at AAA would slot into LF immediately. 

FG's luke warm offer - not bad, not awesome

The Los Angeles Dodgers acquire RHP Jack Flaherty from the Detroit Tigers for LHP Justin Wrobleski and SS Trey Sweeney
The Tigers are no doubt asking for the moon for Skubal, but they don’t have the same need to do so for Jack Flaherty, a free agent at the end of the season. Flaherty’s been terrific this year, but he’s also a rental, and teams don’t usually give up their best for players on expiring contracts these days. I kinda wanted to center this trade around one of the Dodgers’ many young catchers, probably Thayron Liranzo, or an infielder on the rise like Alex Freeland, but that just seemed a bit too rich for them to give up for two months of Flaherty’s services. The good news is the Dodgers have an extremely deep farm system, so if a trade like this were to be discussed, there are myriad ways to get Detroit interested, even if it’s not exactly these two mid-tier prospects. Justin Wrobleski is probably too much of an innings eater for the Dodgers, who prefer to juggle high-end pitching talents based on who’s healthy, and although Trey Sweeney has been passed by other players in the organization, the Tigers could still use him in their system.

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

FG's luke warm offer - not bad, not awesome

The Los Angeles Dodgers acquire RHP Jack Flaherty from the Detroit Tigers for LHP Justin Wrobleski and SS Trey Sweeney
The Tigers are no doubt asking for the moon for Skubal, but they don’t have the same need to do so for Jack Flaherty, a free agent at the end of the season. Flaherty’s been terrific this year, but he’s also a rental, and teams don’t usually give up their best for players on expiring contracts these days. I kinda wanted to center this trade around one of the Dodgers’ many young catchers, probably Thayron Liranzo, or an infielder on the rise like Alex Freeland, but that just seemed a bit too rich for them to give up for two months of Flaherty’s services. The good news is the Dodgers have an extremely deep farm system, so if a trade like this were to be discussed, there are myriad ways to get Detroit interested, even if it’s not exactly these two mid-tier prospects. Justin Wrobleski is probably too much of an innings eater for the Dodgers, who prefer to juggle high-end pitching talents based on who’s healthy, and although Trey Sweeney has been passed by other players in the organization, the Tigers could still use him in their system.

I would be pretty disappointed with this return. I think I'd take the QO over that return.

• Like 1

Just now, LongLiveMaroth said:

I think Norby is the main prospect there. He's 24 at AAA would slot into LF immediately. 

I think Norby kind of sucks as a prospect, and don't see how him slotting into LF would be all that helpful. He would be a nice player to have as depth and maybe a 4th/5th OFer. I don't see him as providing anymore value than what Perez has done this year. He'd be behind Greene, Carpenter, and Perez as it stands today for the corner OF spots. Basically nothing more than competition for Malloy and Perez for spot duty. Would be very disappointing to get that quality of prospect as the headliner in the Flaherty trade.

In comparison to the Dodgers trade, I would not trade Rushing for Norby and Bradfield straight up.

Since Flaherty is known to return a comp pick to Detroit when he turns down a QO, I think most teams would be inclined to offer the Tigers (value of comp pick) + $1. Although the Dodgers might offer (value of comp pick) + $1,000, because they need pitching this year.

As for the Orioles, rich guys can and do pay a lot more, so their #4 and #5 would be fair comp at minimum, even of they're not top 100s.