2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

7 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Meanwhile, JV threw a no-hitter, won a WS, and a Cy Young award. But at least the Tigers saved millions of dollars. By all means, trade Skubal for sime more of these highly regarded prospects. 🤔

Don't worry, Al Avila can't hurt us anymore.

21 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Every pitch Jack threw last night, I held my breath. Time to move him and Skubal NOW.

And Montero will be our only remaining starting pitcher. Good plan. Keep Flaherty and Skubal and go out and get another SP. I wanna win now!!

ESPN+ Had a write up on what teams should do.  Essentially...Tigers should trade every tradeable asset...esp Flaherty.  Opinions were split on keeping or trading Skubal.  The consensus of the people they talked to in baseball was that we're building something here ( a sleeping giant per one guy) but we're not quite there yet.  

7 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I dunno. If they got Kjersted, Mayo and Povich the lineup late next year/going into 26 could look like

1. - Clark CF
2. Kjersted LF
3. Greene - RF
4. Mayo - 3B
5. Jung - 2B
6 - Carpenter 1B
7. McGonigle  SS/FA to hold over for Rainer
8. Dingler
9. DH (FA) (maybe Tork figures it out)

This doesn't even include anyone we sign outside of our organization. In the offseason, offer Burnes and Flaherty to Resign.

Burnes
Jobe
Flaherty
Olson
Mize (?)

Bullpen

That my friends is a playoff team. Ahh one can dream..... 

Ok back to reality.....

Colt Keith is signed through 2032. I think they will find a spot for him. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Meanwhile, JV threw a no-hitter, won a WS, and a Cy Young award. But at least the Tigers saved millions of dollars. By all means, trade Skubal for sime more of these highly regarded prospects. 🤔

For about the hundreth time. The trade was awful given what we know. But at the time it was regarded and everybody demanded money to take JV because he had some bad stretched before the last half a season before the trade. You take four prospect with the hope one or two turn out to be all-star since the guy your trading is either gonna leave or is old. If they traded Skubal is because its unlikely we are gonna win next year and you think Holliday is gonna be a four WAR player very soon. 

2 minutes ago, KL2 said:

For about the hundreth time. The trade was awful given what we know. But at the time it was regarded and everybody demanded money to take JV because he had some bad stretched before the last half a season before the trade. You take four prospect with the hope one or two turn out to be all-star since the guy your trading is either gonna leave or is old. If they traded Skubal is because its unlikely we are gonna win next year and you think Holliday is gonna be a four WAR player very soon. 

Trade Skubal and it practically guarantees they won't win next year or 2026. The Tigers are very thin at starting pitching.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And Montero will be our only remaining starting pitcher. Good plan. Keep Flaherty and Skubal and go out and get another SP. I wanna win now!!

Making a pretty big assumption that we wouldn't get a single pitcher in our returns. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Making a pretty big assumption that we wouldn't get a single pitcher in our returns. 

We already need 2 starting pitchers now. I suppose we could stretch out Faedo and/or Brieske. Maybe Holton. But the choices are pretty limited. I just don't see Skubal getting moved if we trade Flaherty. Another week to go...

22 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

We already need 2 starting pitchers now. I suppose we could stretch out Faedo and/or Brieske. Maybe Holton. But the choices are pretty limited. I just don't see Skubal getting moved if we trade Flaherty. Another week to go...

I don't see Skubal getting moved either but I don't think what happens with Flaherty has any impact on that.

5 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I don't see Skubal getting moved either but I don't think what happens with Flaherty has any impact on that.

I don't think they can trade both of those guys without getting at least 2 starting pitchers back. And that would be a push, we would still be short 2 SP. But we'll see what Harris does, we still have a week.

17 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

On the surface that seems like a pretty good return for Puk.  Haven’t looked at either of the defensive profiles though but they both have had success offensively in the minors

De La Santos was actually picked by Cleveland in the rule 5 and returned to Arizona this year. That being said he has 28 HR between AA and AAA this year. 

One thing I always respected about DD was that when he was trading for premium proven talent he flat out said he wasn't trying to "win" the trade, he knew he was getting a proven commodity so in turn had to give up the best guys he had to get them even if it meant looking foolish in the long run.

He didn't say to Miami "well you can have your pick of 5 of our guys but Maybin and/or Miller are off limits", no he gave them both. Same with Anibal Sanchez, it wasn't a "no you can't have our top prospect in Jacob Turner.." instead he gave it to them. With the Red Sox it was the same thing, he gave them Moncada who some had as the number 1 overall prospect along with Kopech who was the arguably the best pitching prospect as well for the proven guy in Sale. He accepted that to get the proven stud you had to make sacrifices even if you may "overpay" with prospects.

And guess what? He won multiple division/pennants and World Series by going with this approach. It's a shame that more GM's aren't like this anymore.

Furthermore I earlier mentioned about the "settling" part or taking prospects that other teams feel are expendable for them. That's what Avila did with JV, the Astros didn't want to give up Kyle Tucker, Yordan Alvarez or Forrest Whitley so he settled for the guys they were willing to and it burned us. Same with the Cespedes trade, the Mets weren't willing to budge on Zach Wheeler so we settled for Fulmer, I don't want another repeat of that now that we have more leverage. Make the other team "overpay" with prospects and give up guys they don't want to, don't settle for the players that may be great prospects but have question marks hence them trying to force you to take them. Like DD always did and said(to paraphrase) "If you're getting premium talent you have to give up premium talent that you otherwise wouldn't want to get rid of." 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

One thing I always respected about DD was that when he was trading for premium proven talent he flat out said he wasn't trying to "win" the trade, he knew he was getting a proven commodity so in turn had to give up the best guys he had to get them even if it meant looking foolish in the long run.

He didn't say to Miami "well you can have your pick of 5 of our guys but Maybin and/or Miller are off limits", no he gave them both. Same with Anibal Sanchez, it wasn't a "no you can't have our top prospect in Jacob Turner.." instead he gave it to them. With the Red Sox it was the same thing, he gave them Moncada who some had as the number 1 overall prospect along with Kopech who was the arguably the best pitching prospect as well for the proven guy in Sale. He accepted that to get the proven stud you had to make sacrifices even if you may "overpay" with prospects.

And guess what? He won multiple division/pennants and World Series by going with this approach. It's a shame that more GM's aren't like this anymore.

Furthermore I earlier mentioned about the "settling" part or taking prospects that other teams feel are expendable for them. That's what Avila did with JV, the Astros didn't want to give up Kyle Tucker, Yordan Alvarez or Forrest Whitley so he settled for the guys they were willing to and it burned us. Same with the Cespedes trade, the Mets weren't willing to budge on Zach Wheeler so we settled for Fulmer, I don't want another repeat of that now that we have more leverage. Make the other team "overpay" with prospects and give up guys they don't want to, don't settle for the players that may be great prospects but have question marks hence them trying to force you to take them. Like DD always did and said(to paraphrase) "If you're getting premium talent you have to give up premium talent that you otherwise wouldn't want to get rid of." 

Or find teams with excess players at positions you need for players you can part with similarly. 

19 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: (or FYI, whichever floats...):

I'm heading out this afternoon for a family reunion near Munising (cabins right on the beach of Lake Superior) and that means 20+ cousins (and assorted aunts/ uncles and a plethora of munchkins running around as well) which will keep me busy and hard to keep up with both what's going on at/ near the deadline and all this discussion. Won't be back until Sunday August 4th so I'll miss MOST of the commotion! Oh, and tomorrow before I take off for Munising (I'll be halfway there in Ohio, from Jersey...) I'm going to the National Baseball Card (actually, "Sports") Convention in Cleveland. Gonna be a WILD ONE!!!

And I know you will miss me SOOO MUCH!!!

😁

So have a great time... I know I will!

Did the MTF board approve this?

17 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I like when members of team message boards negotiate deals directly.  Who needs front offices, when the fans can handle this?

We need those heal or hurt threads as a means to figure what exact trade we make for the Tigers.  Not sure how we coordinate with other teams, but I’m sure a zoom call would factor in.

So, are we all in for the winter meetings?  One room or two?

• Like 1