2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

14 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

That's going to seriously complicate trading for him. He wants an extension because he's worried about his health....

Hmmmm...

So what's already barking, right now, I wonder...?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Trade Skubal and it practically guarantees they won't win next year or 2026. The Tigers are very thin at starting pitching.

It's amazing to think that... I mean the starting rotation was supposed to be out major strength with lots of depth! We sent a guy to triple-A who could easily have been a starter in lot of teams rotations. Now we're struggling to field 3 guys.

• Like 1

Glad I’m not a White Sox fan because I would be piiiisssed at Crochet right now.  

Not that their brass would’ve made a good trade for him anyway, but still.  He just complicated his trade market and raised red flags about himself while in the same division as the other big name starters that everyone is looking at.

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

One thing I always respected about DD was that when he was trading for premium proven talent he flat out said he wasn't trying to "win" the trade, he knew he was getting a proven commodity so in turn had to give up the best guys he had to get them even if it meant looking foolish in the long run.

He didn't say to Miami "well you can have your pick of 5 of our guys but Maybin and/or Miller are off limits", no he gave them both. Same with Anibal Sanchez, it wasn't a "no you can't have our top prospect in Jacob Turner.." instead he gave it to them. With the Red Sox it was the same thing, he gave them Moncada who some had as the number 1 overall prospect along with Kopech who was the arguably the best pitching prospect as well for the proven guy in Sale. He accepted that to get the proven stud you had to make sacrifices even if you may "overpay" with prospects.

And guess what? He won multiple division/pennants and World Series by going with this approach. It's a shame that more GM's aren't like this anymore.

Furthermore I earlier mentioned about the "settling" part or taking prospects that other teams feel are expendable for them. That's what Avila did with JV, the Astros didn't want to give up Kyle Tucker, Yordan Alvarez or Forrest Whitley so he settled for the guys they were willing to and it burned us. Same with the Cespedes trade, the Mets weren't willing to budge on Zach Wheeler so we settled for Fulmer, I don't want another repeat of that now that we have more leverage. Make the other team "overpay" with prospects and give up guys they don't want to, don't settle for the players that may be great prospects but have question marks hence them trying to force you to take them. Like DD always did and said(to paraphrase) "If you're getting premium talent you have to give up premium talent that you otherwise wouldn't want to get rid of." 

Not premium talent, quality players!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The Rays traded Arozarena to Seattle for two Low-A prospects and a player to be named later. 

Never trade with the Rays.  Those two Low-A prospects are guaranteed future plus big leaguers.  If fanduel had a betting line out for that, I’d put my 401k on it 

Edited by monkeytargets39

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

It's amazing to think that... I mean the starting rotation was supposed to be out major strength with lots of depth! We sent a guy to triple-A who could easily have been a starter in lot of teams rotations. Now we're struggling to field 3 guys.

And talking about trading 2 of them. That may have been the plan all season but the Tigers are on a roll. Making the playoffs is a longshot but so is getting "prospects" for established players. Flaherty, I can see getting traded, he was signed to improve and move at the deadline but trading both of these guys sounds a bit like giving up....before August. SMH

21 hours ago, KL2 said:

Prospects have how much ML time? Skubal has how much? I think skubal has proven he is a major league pitcher.

Right, he has proven he is a major leaguer.  That's not in question.  What is speculative is his durability and ability to throw at the same level once he breaks through his previous high (149.1) in IP.  Most O's fans (including me) feel he can do it, but still see the risk in it.  I just feel some Tigers' fans need to at least acknowledge that part of it.  Again, I hope it works out.

21 hours ago, chasfh said:

I do think it’s fairer to say that we can expect Skubal to continue breathing fire every fifth day through the end of the year and then into November, while still saying whether Holliday and Basallo will rake in the majors is still speculative.

Burnes has been better than Skubal over the past seven years. That’s a fact. No dispute here. What I am saying is that Skubal is better in 2024, on practically every relevant metric, and that’s also a fact.

IMG_0832.thumb.jpeg.e2356d7def08d6c624db7eb64bf988bc.jpegIMG_0834.thumb.jpeg.d4ad320b94c7a7801692f982cb4f896c.jpeg

(Sorry, I couldn’t isolate just those two on iOS screenshot.)

Please note that I am not saying that Skubal is the greatest pitcher in history of the world and that Burnes is complete dog shït. Definitely not. They would, without no doubt, be 1-2 in your playoff rotation. I’m just asserting that Skubal would be that #1, and with 15 pitchers in between them on the list above, that it’s not particularly close. Now, in 2018 or 2021, Skubal’s not better. Burnes is. But then, you’re not trying to win in 2018 or 2021.

As for the injury thing—you’re right, and he does have 123 innings already on his wing this year, so that would be a legitimate reason to not do the deal, and that’s fine. There is no imperative here to liquidate Skubal. We’d be right chuffed to hang onto him and have him open for us in Los Angeles next March. But injury is a risk with any pitcher you pick up, and I’m not necessarily sold that Skubal is an abnormally higher injury risk than your other options, even with two surgeries on the elbow. But every trade harbors that risk, so caveat to the emptor.

But if I am right—if Skubal continues to mow down everyone crossing his path for the next three months—you might sorry to see him to land on one of the teams that runs the O’s out of the tournament. And that’s the risk of not trading for him.

All this said: I still put the odds of Skubal going anywhere at something less than 10%, because getting rid of what casual fans have heard is the best pitcher in the league pitching for our team in exchange for a bunch of guys they’ve never heard might be enough to drive those casual fans away from the Tigers for a long, long time. Go Lions!

Good post.  I think we're mostly agreeing.  Neither of us expect a trade, but even if not, I've appreciated the discussion.  I would like to ask, what would be your final proposal on a deal?  Last call, what trade has you agreeing to pull the trigger?

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

Any thoughts of if Carson Kelly is moved? We may not get much for him, but with Dingler playing so well in the minors it might be worth it try see what teams might offer.

I think Kelly is very much being shopped. He’d be an upgrade or welcome addition to most team’s catching situation.

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Right, he has proven he is a major leaguer.  That's not in question.  What is speculative is his durability and ability to throw at the same level once he breaks through his previous high (149.1) in IP.  Most O's fans (including me) feel he can do it, but still see the risk in it.  I just feel some Tigers' fans need to at least acknowledge that part of it.  Again, I hope it works out.

Ok that's not the same as if he 'pan out'

3 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Never trade with the Rays.  Those two Low-A prospects are guaranteed future plus big leaguers.  If fanduel had a betting line out for that, I’d put my 401k on it 

Blake snell says hello