2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

One thing I always respected about DD was that when he was trading for premium proven talent he flat out said he wasn't trying to "win" the trade, he knew he was getting a proven commodity so in turn had to give up the best guys he had to get them even if it meant looking foolish in the long run.

No shĭt ... that's because DD never sticks around for the long run, so he's not the one looking foolish.

4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Good post.  I think we're mostly agreeing.  Neither of us expect a trade, but even if not, I've appreciated the discussion.  I would like to ask, what would be your final proposal on a deal?  Last call, what trade has you agreeing to pull the trigger?

I was going just going to ask for Baumeister, but looks like you just sent him to Tampa, which means he would have been a good ask for me.

I will send you Skubal only in exchange for Holliday, Young, Fabian, Luis De Leon, and Michael Forret. Say yes and I will have my guy draw up the papers.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Does Morosi ever get anything right?

They are paid to get anythig that is a remote possibility out there and most of it is not going to happen. They pobably have had discussions with the Astros about Flaherty, but that doesn't mean a trade will be made.  This is true of every single reporter. 

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They are paid to get anythig that is a remote possibility out there and most of it is not going to happen. They pobably have had discussions with the Astros about Flaherty, but that doesn't mean a trade will be made.  This is true of every single reporter. 

Sounds about right. I know he’s connected to Detroit so I always think he has a scoop. I guess that’s why I notice him more. 

22 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Sounds about right. I know he’s connected to Detroit so I always think he has a scoop. I guess that’s why I notice him more. 

This time of year is really frustrating with all the teasing.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

DD had a lot of winning years in Detroit.

Yes, he did.  That is the main goal. Having the best farm system is not the goal.  It might help a team reach its goal, but every year you spend building for the future instead of winning is a year in which you have not reached your goal.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, he did.  That is the main goal. Having the best farm system is not the goal.  It might help a team reach its goal, but every year you spend building for the future instead of winning is a year in which you have not reached your goal.  

TBH, the main problem with DD's route in a mid market city isn't that you can't win doing what he because you weaken your farm system, it's because trading young for old leaves you with an unsustainable payroll unless you are NY or LA. You don't need a well stocked farm system to win consistently, but you do to win consistently at reasonable cost. Fans can argue that owners can and should afford to take losses for them, but since no owner actually will over any extended time frame (and in fact the league won't let them) that's an arg which may give vent to fan frustration but is pointless in practice.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBH, the main problem with DD's route in a mid market city isn't that you can't win doing what he because you weaken your farm system, it's because trading young for old leaves you with an unsustainable payroll unless you are NY or LA. You don't need a well stocked farm system to win consistently, but you do to win consistently at reasonable cost. Fans can argue that owners can and should afford to take losses for them, but since no owner actually will over any extended time frame (and in fact the league won't let them) that's an arg which may give vent to fan frustration but is pointless in practice.

I would want him hired right now if it meant gutting our farm system for the next 8 years but doing the winning he did while he was here. Say what you want about him but 2006 to 2014 were the clubs best stretch in my lifetime, maybe in franchise history?

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I would want him hired right now if it meant gutting our farm system for the next 8 years but doing the winning he did while he was here. Say what you want about him but 2006 to 2014 were the clubs best stretch in my lifetime, maybe in franchise history?

It probably was one of the best stretches in terms of winning percentage in franchise history.  Its tough to compare that era to others based on things like division titles or playoffs appearances because the landscape is different.

Not to discredit Dombrowski, but Ilitch deserves some credit for opening up the purse strings during that time.  That allowed Dombrowski to take some bigger swings at players.  When MartinezV was lost for the season, Ilitch ponied up for Fielder as an example.  That's a move that most ardent baseball followers would associate with the Yankees or Dodgers, and probably be angered by it, too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, casimir said:

It probably was one of the best stretches in terms of winning percentage in franchise history.  Its tough to compare that era to others based on things like division titles or playoffs appearances because the landscape is different.

Not to discredit Dombrowski, but Ilitch deserves some credit for opening up the purse strings during that time.  That allowed Dombrowski to take some bigger swings at players.  When MartinezV was lost for the season, Ilitch ponied up for Fielder as an example.  That's a move that most ardent baseball followers would associate with the Yankees or Dodgers, and probably be angered by it, too.

Agreed. And with the extra wild card teams, the Tigers may have been in the playoffs a few more times. Was DD in charge when the Tigers drafted JV, Granderson and Zumaya? And the moves he made, while clearing out minor league talent, helped bring very successful ML players to town. And like you said, once here, Mike I. spent big to keep them. Yes, I would return to those glory years in a heartbeat. It sure beat these long rebuilding years.

18 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Rays are shopping both Yandy Diaz and old friend, Isaac Paredes.  We should be in on both.  

paredes maybe. but no reason to give up prospects for a 32 year old .08 war guy, with one year outlier, who is a free agent in 18 months

49 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Rays are shopping both Yandy Diaz and old friend, Isaac Paredes.  We should be in on both.  

Paredes has played first base a bit this year. He’d be a solid corner guy on either side of the infield.

Edited by 1776

5 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Paredes has played first base a bit this year. He’d be a solid corner goy on either side of the infield.

Arb eligible next year, he'll probably cost north of $10M. That's what the Rays do (or don't do depending on how you look at it!)

58 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I'm iffy about dealing with Tampa at all. What I favor is asking them to name some players they want back in trade, then keeping those players and focusing developmental efforts on them. 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4