2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

32 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Blockbuster deal! Wingenter for CJ Weins. Weins is a right handed reliever at A ball. 23 years old.

They're looking at his stint at Western Kentucky in 2023, with: 12.2K's/ 9, 2.3BB's/ 9, and 5.2H's/ 9 for a 0.84 WHIP, and trying to figure out if they can squeeze that kind of performance out of him through the A-ball and higher levels...

Wingenter was worthless so if Weins just craps out then nothing was lost anyways...

I would call it a calculated risk. A good one to take.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

They're looking at his stint at Western Kentucky in 2023, with: 12.2K's/ 9, 2.3BB's/ 9, and 5.2H's/ 9 for a 0.84 WHIP, and trying to figure out if they can squeeze that kind of performance out of him through the A-ball and higher levels...

Wingenter was worthless so if Weins just craps out then nothing was lost anyways...

I would call it a calculated risk. A good one to take.

I would agree it's a good move by Harris.

Apparently, Wingenter had a clause in his contract and he must be added to Boston's 40 man roster. I'll take club control on a 23 year old over 30 year old Wingenter. Weins isn't rule 5 eligible until December 2026.

Posted (edited)

That trade reeked of a deal where Wingenter had an upward mobility clause, and it was confirmed by somebody on the Red Sox beat.

So, similar to Trayce Thompson a couple of years ago or Jonathan Davis last year, they either had to call up Wingenter or offer him to every other team and make a deal. Not much leverage in that situation. Those clauses aren't public, so it's tough to know when they are coming.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think I’ve seen his name brought up, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Andy Ibanez’ name come up in trade rumors.  He’s arbitration eligible for 3 more seasons and we know his resume hitting bs LHPs.  He’s also 31 years old already, which adds an interesting wrinkle given his contract control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, casimir said:

I don’t think I’ve seen his name brought up, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Andy Ibanez’ name come up in trade rumors.  He’s arbitration eligible for 3 more seasons and we know his resume hitting bs LHPs.  He’s also 31 years old already, which adds an interesting wrinkle given his contract control.

Alright, so random thought I have while sucking down coffee this morning.  Jump on the bicycle to go for a ride this morning.  Put on the Motor City Metrics podcast which dropped yesterday.  One of the podders (Chris Brown?) brings up Ibanez as possible trade bait.  So, not as original of a thought as I thought it was when I thought it up.

Edited by casimir

Canha and Urshela are cratering; doubt either would even catch a low A reliever at this point

Harris needs to make a hard call on both Flaherty and Kelly - don't sit on your hands Scott; do something!

I'll add Vierling to Ibanez tier - both could have nice value on the bench for a contender

as other have said, this week should be clarifying

38 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Canha and Urshela are cratering; doubt either would even catch a low A reliever at this point

Harris needs to make a hard call on both Flaherty and Kelly - don't sit on your hands Scott; do something!

I'll add Vierling to Ibanez tier - both could have nice value on the bench for a contender

as other have said, this week should be clarifying

I’d hold on to Ibanez and Vierling.  Both are good contributors and likely wouldn’t command much in return.  Ibanez is who he is—plus bat against LH pitching and provided defensive versatility.  I still think Vierling can get better. 

I’ll trust that he is monitoring the opportunities with Flaherty and Kelly, though he’s not forced to move either at the deadline.  This is different than the ERod situation.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 9:20 PM, Tiger337 said:

Scott Harris continues to be a high roller.  

What's the trade you want to see Harris make today? The only condition is that it has to have a reasonable chance of happening.

On 7/7/2024 at 8:34 AM, casimir said:

I don't know, a 2-win player with a late career might be worth keeping around, unless he's going to be definitely squeezed out by call-ups?

Same with Vierling—why trade him for lower minors lottery tickets when he could be a positive force on the field this year and next?

I guess one complicating factor is that they are both arb eligible for the first time next year. I could definitely be wrong here, but I don't see us taking a bag of balls for either or both of them just to save a couple million on payroll and nothing else next year.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I don't know, a 2-win player with a late career might be worth keeping around, unless he's going to be definitely squeezed out by call-ups?

Same with Vierling—why trade him for lower minors lottery tickets when he could be a positive force on the field this year and next?

I guess one complicating factor is that they are both arb eligible for the first time next year. I could definitely be wrong here, but I don't see us taking a bag of balls for either or both of them just to save a couple million on payroll and nothing else next year.

Well, once Jung is called up, does Ibanez have a role with the Tigers?  I would hope/think at some point that Keith progresses to be an everyday player.  Jung might be on the platoon plan for his rookie season.  Does he eventually get squeezed out?  If he does, that's baseball and it wouldn't be tough to move him.

But for right now, does he have value for a contender as a RHH, not necessarily move him before his arbitration years (which shouldn't be expensive).

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

Well, once Jung is called up, does Ibanez have a role with the Tigers?  I would hope/think at some point that Keith progresses to be an everyday player.  Jung might be on the platoon plan for his rookie season.  Does he eventually get squeezed out?  If he does, that's baseball and it wouldn't be tough to move him.

But for right now, does he have value for a contender as a RHH, not necessarily move him before his arbitration years (which shouldn't be expensive).

I think Jung replaces Urshela (next season).

Just now, Tenacious D said:

I think Jung replaces Urshela (next season).

Sure, Urshela should be renting in the 313.

Kreidler seems to have done himself no favors.

And whither Eddys Leonard who started low but seems to be recovering.  

Posted (edited)

Hi all.  As an Orioles fan I want to discuss a potential Skubal trade.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you feel would be a reasonable trade between the O's-Tigers.  As many of you know, we have a top farm system (if not the top), and it would seem most fan-based and writer-based proposals begin with one of Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, or Kjerstad.  So, what are your thoughts?

Edited by Greg Pappas

19 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Hi all.  As an Orioles fan I want to discuss with Tigers fans a potential Skubal trade with the O's.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you feel would be a reasonable trade between the teams.  As many of you know, we have a top farm system (if not the top), and it would seem most fan-based and writer-based proposals begin with one of Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, or Kjerstad.  So, what are your thoughts?

Probably the best hitter they could get one for one or maybe two for one. Tigers need help on the infield, so Holliday looks really good. The usual bulk deal 3, 4, 5 for 1 doesn't really help right now.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Hi all.  As an Orioles fan I want to discuss a potential Skubal trade.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you feel would be a reasonable trade between the O's-Tigers.  As many of you know, we have a top farm system (if not the top), and it would seem most fan-based and writer-based proposals begin with one of Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, or Kjerstad.  So, what are your thoughts?

Personally, I think the conversation is either Holliday plus or Mayo and Basallo plus as your pieces and build around those. Skubal being signed for 2 1/2 years is a big reason for the ask and honestly we probably don't want to trade him so it would have to something along those starting lines. 

Edited by LongLiveMaroth

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

24 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Personally, I think the conversation is either Holliday plus or Mayo and Basallo plus as your pieces and build around those. Skubal being signed for 2 1/2 years is a big reason for the ask and honestly we probably don't want to trade him so it would have to something along those starting lines. 

That was my starting point a week ago on a trade I proposed. I assume Holliday is off-limits though.

Unless you say otherwise Greg... that the Orioles are perfectly willing to include Holliday in a package for Skubal.

But on the basis that he is off-limits:

On 7/2/2024 at 8:21 AM, 1984Echoes said:

Orioles: Skubal, maybe another spare part if they want one, reliever or OF'er...?

Tigers: Coby Mayo, Sam Basallo and 3 pitchers: 23 yo Cam Weston (in AA), 22 yo Nestor German (in low-A), 19 yo Jesus Palacios (in FCL):

Who says no?

Mayo, Basallo, and 3 lower level pitchers for Skubal. We'll add spare parts (relievers like Faedo or Foley if you wanted one? Need a catcher? Carson Kelly would be available to round out a package. And/or an OF'er or IF'er...?)

Negotiate.

17 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I'm a long-time poster at the Orioles #1 fan forum, the OriolesHangout, and we are having these sorts of conversations daily.  Skubal is scary because of his injury history, so some would not be agreeable to Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo's inclusion in any deal for Skubal, while others feel Skubal is worth the risk and would be agreeable dealing one of the Big Three, plus a lesser prospect or two.  

Many of us feel Detroit has little hope to make the playoffs in the next couple of seasons, as currently constructed, but could really benefit with an influx of talent by trading Skubal and Jason Foley.  The issue is that Tigers fans and more importantly their front office, may disagree and believe they're a couple of impact free agents away from contention.  It's hard to say either way.  

FWIW I would be agreeable to trading a package similar to 3B Mayo, LHP Povich, and OF Beavers for Skubal.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That was my starting point a week ago on a trade I proposed. I assume Holliday is off-limits though.

Unless you say otherwise Greg... that the Orioles are perfectly willing to include Holliday in a package for Skubal.

But on the basis that he is off-limits:

Mayo, Basallo, and 3 lower level pitchers for Skubal. We'll add spare parts (relievers like Faedo or Foley if you wanted one? Need a catcher? Carson Kelly would be available to round out a package. And/or an OF'er or IF'er...?)

Negotiate.

I can almost assure you that the possibility of getting two of the three great prospects is less than 1%.  Holliday plus a lesser prospect, is also quite unlikely, but we have a lot of talent from which to negotiate.  I mentioned a bit ago that I'd personally be agreeable to trading a package similar to 3B Mayo, LHP Povich, and OF Beavers for Skubal.  If something along those lines isn't enough, there's a good chance these teams will go in another direction... and that's okay too. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

... FWIW I would be agreeable to trading a package similar to 3B Mayo, LHP Povich, and OF Beavers for Skubal.

We already have Dylan Beavers on our team, his name is Parker Meadows.

Skubal is a Cy Young candidate this year, the most dominant pitcher in the Majors the past year, and you'd have him for 2 1/2 more years.

We're just not going to (our GM won't) let him go for a light package, and he'll look at what you're offering and say "not enough". If our ask is too much, and your GM says no, then we just won't get a deal done.

We're not two FA's away... we're a bunch of kids who are learning curves and graduation struggles from AAA to MLB away. We don't know where we actually are. But.. if they catch on quick enough, yes, we're a competitive team, soon. It's just too gray area (too many kids) for anything to be predictable.

We've been discussing, on this site, whether Harris would offer extensions to Flaherty and Kelly and NOT make any major trades at the deadline. And we feel that is just as likely, if not moreso than trading Skubal.

He won't be easily pried away I'm saying.

Flaherty might be available at the deadline, if we don't get any extension done... but at this point, I find it highly doubtful Skubal is available. Unless we're blown away with an offer.

I believe that's where our Team/ and GM are, at this point.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'm a long-time poster at the Orioles #1 fan forum, the OriolesHangout, and we are having these sorts of conversations daily.  Skubal is scary because of his injury history, so some would not be agreeable to Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo's inclusion in any deal for Skubal, while others feel Skubal is worth the risk and would be agreeable dealing one of the Big Three, plus a lesser prospect or two.  

Many of us feel Detroit has little hope to make the playoffs in the next couple of seasons, as currently constructed, but could really benefit with an influx of talent by trading Skubal and Jason Foley.  The issue is that Tigers fans and more importantly their front office, may disagree and believe they're a couple of impact free agents away from contention.  It's hard to say either way.  

FWIW I would be agreeable to trading a package similar to 3B Mayo, LHP Povich, and OF Beavers for Skubal.

Westberg and Mayo.