2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

9 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Westberg and Mayo. 

Westburg is far too important to the big league club to deal... especially if coupled with the guy who is still in AAA mainly because Westburg is blocking him.

Just now, Greg Pappas said:

Westburg is far too important to the big league club to deal... especially if coupled with the guy who is still in AAA mainly because Westburg is blocking him.

Which makes Mayo expendable... right?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

We already have Dylan Beavers on our team, his name is Parker Meadows.

Skubal is a Cy Young candidate this year, the most dominant pitcher in the Majors the past year, and you'd have him for 2 1/2 more years.

We're just not going to (our GM won't) let him go for a light package, and he'll look at what you're offering and say "not enough". If our ask is too much, and your GM says no, then we just won't get a deal done.

We're not two FA's away... we're a bunch of kids who are learning curves and graduation struggles from AAA to MLB away. We don't know where we actually are. But.. if they catch on quick enough, yes, we're a competitive team, soon. It's just too gray area (too many kids) for anything to be predictable.

We've been discussing, on this site, whether Harris would offer extensions to Flaherty and Kelly and NOT make any major trades at the deadline. And we feel that is just as likely, if not moreso than trading Skubal.

He won't be easily pried away I'm saying.

Flaherty might be available at the deadline, if we don't get any extension done... but at this point, I find it highly doubtful Skubal is available. Unless we're blown away with an offer.

I believe that's where our Team/ and GM are, at this point.

I don't see Beavers as a CF, but still, another prospect could take his place.  I agree that a trade between the teams seems unlikely.  But if it were to go down, it'll be fun to see who was moved. 🙂

Edited by Greg Pappas

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

Which makes Mayo expendable... right?

I misspoke and do apologize for that.  Mayo can play 1B (and even DH) as well, and his prolific power from the right-handed side is something we can use more of.  Westburg is versatile, playing well at both 3B and 2B.  Jackson Holliday is the heir apparent at 2B, but that may not come until next season.  So, Westburg is not truly blocking Mayo.  I believe Mayo, though dominating AAA offensively once again, has been kept back while improving his defense at 3B.  Reports seem to indicate that he should be an average defender with a cannon arm, so his arrival is imminent.  

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

Watching this exchange between our new friend, Greg, and the rest of you feels very Moneyball-like: “Dave Dombrowski on line 1”

I just hope you guys can work something out tonight.

This is going down to the wire. We've got 29 teams bidding right now.

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Have to have a sure thing in hand to move Skubal. Westbrrg plays short in Detroit and Mayo third. Repairing the left side of our infield for 5 years is worth trading the best pitcher in the game and hands Baltimore the title this year and replaces Burnes next year and 2026. Also provides a place for Holiday to play. 

Good trades make everyone a bit uneasy. 

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Watching this exchange between our new friend, Greg, and the rest of you feels very Moneyball-like: “Dave Dombrowski on line 1”

I just hope you guys can work something out tonight.

We’re trying.  Does Westberg have a hot girlfriend?

2 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

This is going down to the wire. We've got 29 teams bidding right now.

I only see one person from an Orioles forum.  Until others make their way here, we’re negotiating exclusively with the O’s.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I only see one person from an Orioles forum.  Until others make their way here, we’re negotiating exclusively with the O’s.

That...

And they have the best players...

Greg, you know we have Gunnar-Adley-Westburg-Mountcastle-Holliday-Coby-Basallo envy... right?

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Haha 1

it would need to be an irrational return, where every fan says, Yeah they had to take that

reminder for Os fan that the Tigers current trade return on Verlander + JD Martinez + Castellanos + Upton + Kinsler + Boyd + Fulmer + Castro + Parades + Candelario + ERod is Jake Rogers, so pardon us for being a little testy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

it would need to be an irrational return, where every fan says, Yeah they had to take that

reminder for Os fan that the Tigers current trade return on Verlander + JD Martinez + Castellanos + Upton + Kinsler + Boyd + Fulmer + Castro + Parades + Candelario + ERod is Jake Rogers, so pardon us for being a little testy

Post of the day!

19 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Hi all.  As an Orioles fan I want to discuss a potential Skubal trade.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you feel would be a reasonable trade between the O's-Tigers.  As many of you know, we have a top farm system (if not the top), and it would seem most fan-based and writer-based proposals begin with one of Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, or Kjerstad.  So, what are your thoughts?

hey, Greg, welcome to the forum.

Just putting pencil to paper to project our probable needs for a 2026-27 contention window:

• 1B: Tork? Keith?
  • 2B: Keith? Lee? McGonigle?
  • SS: McGonigle?
  • 3B: Jung
  • LF: Greene
  • CF: Clark
  • RF: Perez?
  • 😄 Briceño?

So, not a lot of certainty (considering how little certainty anyone in big league ball can muster). So any trade would have to effectively fill some of these holes. And if we want to fill at least two, we may have to add something to Skubal for you. I'd love to offer you Tork, and maybe you guys could fix him and make him your DH, but that's a sixth grader's fantasy trade on my part.

Our top hole to fill is middle of the infield, for reasons I don't have to remind you of. So this trade has to start with Jackson Holliday. Otherwise, no dice.

You haven't hung up yet? Good!

In addition to Skubal, I will offer you Parker Meadows. He's a plus plus CF and his stick is starting to come around. Cedric is turning into a pumpkin for you, so you could put Parker out there right now. (Well, once he comes off the List, of course.) You say you got Beavers coming up soon to replace Cedric? That's fine, you can figure out which of Parker and Beavers takes your newly-spacious left and which takes center, then you can shift Cowser to right where his plus arm plays, and move Santander into a DH/fifth OF role. That will solve your outfield situation for most of the rest of this decade.

So, for our two guys, we want Holliday; Basallo (who you really don't need with Adley and Mountcastle on your team for the next several years); one of Haskin, Fabian, or Rhodes (I'm still not sold on Wenceel here); and a pitching lottery ticket like Strowd, Gillies, McGough, Hoffman, or Armbruester.

What do you say?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

hey, Greg, welcome to the forum.

Just putting pencil to paper to project our probable needs for a 2026-27 contention window:

• 1B: Tork? Keith?
  • 2B: Keith? Lee? McGonigle?
  • SS: McGonigle?
  • 3B: Jung
  • LF: Greene
  • CF: Clark
  • RF: Perez?
  • 😄 Briceño?

So, not a lot of certainty (considering how little certainty anyone in big league ball can muster). So any trade would have to effectively fill some of these holes. And if we want to fill at least two, we may have to add something to Skubal for you. I'd love to offer you Tork, and maybe you guys could fix him and make him your DH, but that's a sixth grader's fantasy trade on my part.

Our top hole to fill is middle of the infield, for reasons I don't have to remind you of. So this trade has to start with Jackson Holliday. Otherwise, no dice.

You haven't hung up yet? Good!

In addition to Skubal, I will offer you Parker Meadows. He's a plus plus CF and his stick is starting to come around. Cedric is turning into a pumpkin for you, so you could put Parker out there right now. (Well, once he comes off the List, of course.) You say you got Beavers coming up soon to replace Cedric? That's fine, you can figure out which of Parker and Beavers takes your newly-spacious left and which takes center, then you can shift Cowser to right where his plus arm plays, and move Santander into a DH/fifth OF role. That will solve your outfield situation for most of the rest of this decade.

So, for our two guys, we want Holliday; Basallo (who you really don't need with Adley and Mountcastle on your team for the next several years); one of Haskin, Fabian, or Rhodes (I'm still not sold on Wenceel here); and a pitching lottery ticket like Strowd, Gillies, McGough, Hoffman, or Armbruester.

What do you say?

Hey, fun fact: there is no way to put a capital C and a colon back-to-back and not see it turn into a smiley face.

5 hours ago, casimir said:

How about Skubal for the folks that put that Baltimore farm system together?  Maybe throw in Javy Baez for his postseason experience?

Baltimore has a great farm, but it must be pointed out they built it before the lottery system began. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Hey, fun fact: there is no way to put a capital C and a colon back-to-back and not see it turn into a smiley face.

Yes, I think there is...

Add a space in between:

C:

That's cheating... so you are still technically correct... just sayin'...

C :

Ah, yes, was testing something.. so as you can see, I DO have a C : not turn into a smiley face. With OUT the space in between. But here's where it gets weird: You have to start with the space in-between. And then go back and delete the space. I did that using Edit... I'm not certain if you can do it before Saving and Editing... but go ahead and test. C space : and then delete the space. Before saving. And after saving and editing.

Edited by 1984Echoes