2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Hi all.  As an Orioles fan I want to discuss a potential Skubal trade.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you feel would be a reasonable trade between the O's-Tigers.  As many of you know, we have a top farm system (if not the top), and it would seem most fan-based and writer-based proposals begin with one of Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, or Kjerstad.  So, what are your thoughts?

We can discuss “what if’s” as fans but the reality is there is no reasonable trade for Skubal.    

The only way the Tigers make a deal is if someone makes them an unreasonably stupid offer that they can’t refuse.  

So think of a reasonable offer in your head and then add two more significant pieces and there you have the framework of a deal to bring him to Baltimore.  

Edited by Hongbit

22 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

We can discuss “what if’s” as fans but the reality is there is no reasonable trade for Skubal.    

The only way the Tigers make a deal is if someone makes them an unreasonably stupid offer that they can’t refuse.  

So think of a reasonable offer in your head and then add two more significant pieces and there you have the framework of a deal to bring him to Baltimore.  

I think this is correct.  We don’t have to move him—let another team pursue and do something stoopid.

Holliday is not getting dealt.  Basallo or Mayo are also very unlikely to be moved.  However, in my estimation we would listen.  Heston Kjerstad is a beast and is just getting his first real taste of the bigs.  His defense is questionable everywhere, but he has a solid arm and can play LF, RF, and 1B... and would also be great as a DH.  He has prodigious power from the left side and has hit lefties fairly well in the minors, so he wouldn't be a platoon guy.  With us having Anthony Santander becoming a FA at year's end, Kjerstad is the obvious replacement.  However, I and others feel that while he's Major League ready, he is more expendable than the others.

A package led by Kjerstad might not cut it, though he's a great prospect in his own right.

43 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Holliday is not getting dealt.  Basallo or Mayo are also very unlikely to be moved.

Then Skubal's staying here. End of story.

43 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Heston Kjerstad is a beast and is just getting his first real taste of the bigs.  His defense is questionable everywhere, but he has a solid arm and can play LF, RF, and 1B... and would also be great as a DH.  He has prodigious power from the left side and has hit lefties fairly well in the minors, so he wouldn't be a platoon guy.  With us having Anthony Santander becoming a FA at year's end, Kjerstad is the obvious replacement.  However, I and others feel that while he's Major League ready, he is more expendable than the others.

A package led by Kjerstad might not cut it, though he's a great prospect in his own right.

Our system is already lousy with outfielders and guys who are going to end up at first base. We don't need a package led by another one like Kjerstad.

Tell you what: add Kjerstad to my trade and I'll add Tork in return. a three-for-five deal. You want a ring this year and next? Skubal is your best shot at ensuring that. We need something that will actually help us fill holes in return.

Or you can wait until July 2026 to see how the market looks then.

Thanks for the fun exercise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

hey, Greg, welcome to the forum.

Just putting pencil to paper to project our probable needs for a 2026-27 contention window:

• 1B: Tork? Keith?
  • 2B: Keith? Lee? McGonigle?
  • SS: McGonigle?
  • 3B: Jung
  • LF: Greene
  • CF: Clark
  • RF: Perez?
  • 😄 Briceño?

So, not a lot of certainty (considering how little certainty anyone in big league ball can muster). So any trade would have to effectively fill some of these holes. And if we want to fill at least two, we may have to add something to Skubal for you. I'd love to offer you Tork, and maybe you guys could fix him and make him your DH, but that's a sixth grader's fantasy trade on my part.

Our top hole to fill is middle of the infield, for reasons I don't have to remind you of. So this trade has to start with Jackson Holliday. Otherwise, no dice.

You haven't hung up yet? Good!

In addition to Skubal, I will offer you Parker Meadows. He's a plus plus CF and his stick is starting to come around. Cedric is turning into a pumpkin for you, so you could put Parker out there right now. (Well, once he comes off the List, of course.) You say you got Beavers coming up soon to replace Cedric? That's fine, you can figure out which of Parker and Beavers takes your newly-spacious left and which takes center, then you can shift Cowser to right where his plus arm plays, and move Santander into a DH/fifth OF role. That will solve your outfield situation for most of the rest of this decade.

So, for our two guys, we want Holliday; Basallo (who you really don't need with Adley and Mountcastle on your team for the next several years); one of Haskin, Fabian, or Rhodes (I'm still not sold on Wenceel here); and a pitching lottery ticket like Strowd, Gillies, McGough, Hoffman, or Armbruester.

What do you say?

Thanks for the Welcome.  Holliday is a definite no.  Regarding Beavers, he isn't the heir apparent to Cedric Mullins, but is a solid OF prospect.  While Beavers can play all three OF positions, he may be better suited as a CoF.  Meadows seems like the sort of young player you'd be looking to add, not subtract, but regardless, we wouldn't be trading Holliday, and especially not Holliday AND Basallo AND two others.  I'm not trying to be rude, but that's a very far-fetched proposal.  

Anyway, I do appreciate getting different takes.  That's mainly why I'm here, so thank you.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Thanks for the Welcome.  Holliday is a definite no.  Regarding Beavers, he isn't the heir apparent to Cedric Mullins, but is a solid OF prospect.  While Beavers can play all three OF positions, he may be better suited as a CoF.  Meadows seems like the sort of young player you'd be looking to add, not subtract, but regardless, we wouldn't be trading Holliday, and especially not Holliday AND Basallo AND two others.  I'm not trying to be rude, but that's a very far-fetched proposal.  

Anyway, I do appreciate getting different takes.  That's mainly why I'm here, so thank you.

I don't believe that to suggest that a trade of the current best pitcher in the American League, at the beginning of his peak and who's on the inside track to win the Cy Young, for two top prospects who, to be fair, have not even proven yet they can even play in the majors, is so far-fetched. Your window is right now, and those chickens of yours are still eggs yet, whereas our rooster is fully hatched and buck-buck-buckawing like crazy. But that's fine, we can agree to disagree on that.

I offered Parker Meadows because Max Clark. Not that Parker is expendable, exactly, but in terms of making a deal happen, he could make a good lubricant. Giggity.

Edited by chasfh
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Holliday is not getting dealt.  Basallo or Mayo are also very unlikely to be moved.  However, in my estimation we would listen.  Heston Kjerstad is a beast and is just getting his first real taste of the bigs.  His defense is questionable everywhere, but he has a solid arm and can play LF, RF, and 1B... and would also be great as a DH.  He has prodigious power from the left side and has hit lefties fairly well in the minors, so he wouldn't be a platoon guy.  With us having Anthony Santander becoming a FA at year's end, Kjerstad is the obvious replacement.  However, I and others feel that while he's Major League ready, he is more expendable than the others.

You are not going to get an elite pitcher unless you are willing to give up elite prospects. Kjerstad won’t cut it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Longgone said:

You are not going to get an elite pitcher unless you are willing to give up elite prospects. Kjerstad won’t cut it.

I would trade Mayo+ and said so in my earlier posts.  I was just posting what I think Elias will and will not do.  Hard to say though. FWIW these are 3B Coby Mayo's last 162 games:

721 PA, 113 R, 53 2B, 47 HR, 146 RBI, 8 SB, 392 TB, .311/.412/.643, 13.2% BB, 24.4% K

AAA Norfolk is actually (by a slim margin) a pitcher's park, so it's not like he did it in the Pacific Coast League.  🙂

Edited by Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I would trade Mayo+ and said so in my earlier posts.  I was just posting what I think Elias will and will not do.  Hard to say though. FWIW these are 3B Coby Mayo's last 162 games:

721 PA, 113 R, 53 2B, 47 HR, 146 RBI, 8 SB, 392 TB, .311/.412/.643, 13.2% BB, 24.4% K

AAA Norfolk is actually (by a slim margin) a pitcher's park, so it's not like he did it in the Pacific Coast League.  🙂

II agree that Mayo is not chopped liver, but we've already got a numbered prospect who is ticketed to play third base to start with but who will probably end up moving over to first eventually. We don't another one. We need a middle of the dirt guy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

If Baltimore comes up short, I'm sure New York or Boston would send us some decent players in return for the best pitcher in baseball. Baltimore could always shoot for being a wildcard team.

6 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Mayo won’t cut the mustard, except as a secondary piece.

24 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

If I were an orioles fan, and my team said no to a Skubal for Holliday straight up trade, I would be furious. 

You are not serious people. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Longgone said:

You didn't see what they gave up to get Burnes (granted, it's one year of control, not 2.3, but still)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shelton said:

If I were an orioles fan, and my team said no to a Skubal for Holliday straight up trade, I would be furious. 

You are not serious people. 

Shelton is getting worked up.  Pappas is in real trouble now.    

• Haha 1

I think it's important to acknowledge Skubal's injury history, as well as the fact that he's never thrown more than 149.1 innings in his career.  That was in 2021.  It's hard to refer to someone as the best at something he hasn't done a lot of.  While saying that, he has been truly outstanding when he's pitched... among the best of the best.  

He then threw 117.2 in 2022 before the flexor tendon injury derailed the remainder of the season.  BTW, not to be dismissed as insignificant, he underwent Tommy John surgery in college.  He rebounded well after returning last season, throwing 80.1 IP.   Thus far this season he has been very good, as usual, with 110 IP and a 2.37 ERA.  He looks great this season and will likely exceed his prior high of 149.1 IP if he remains healthy.  

I really like Skubal.  Having him two seasons beyond this one is crucial, as it adds a stabilizing starter to the top of the rotation and helps offset the potential loss of Burnes.  Also, as a lefty, he would be an ideal fit in between Burnes and Rodriguez this playoff push.  Like many pitchers, his health is cause for concern, but he looks to be past his prior issues.  He is my current favorite as a potentially available starter.

Guys, I admit that I may be misreading the situation, in my consideration of what Elias would be willing to do.  But from everything he's said, it would really be a shock to our fanbase if he did indeed trade any of Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo.  I honestly do hope an agreement can be reached, for both fan bases sake.  Time will tell.  It always does.

This was fun to talk about, but in the end, I would be borderline shocked if we ended up trading Tarik Skubal this year. I would characterize the chances of that happening as low single-digits percent.

• Like 3