2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

19 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would prefer Manning get a shot as a reliever

One has to assume the reason that hasn't happened would have to be one of two reasons: 1)They still think there is starter potential there that can be unlocked (OK) 2) they think that even in shorter outings he can't generate the velo or K rate needed to be useful in leverage.(not so OK)

What is disturbing is that he seems to be regressing in that he's looking mediocre against AAA pitching now. As already speculated, we can hope that's because he is trying to develop some new stuff, but it still would be nice to start seeing some results.

The only type of player in all of baseball that Javy could possibly be traded for would be somebody like Anthony Rendon, a vet like Javy that is still owed 10s of millions of dollars for the next few years and completely sucks. 

47 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

My WEIRD Trade Idea:

Javy Baez for Bo Bichette.

35 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Blue Jays would say no even if Jobe was added

Javy Baez for a Bo Bichette rookie card.  Jays still say no. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

The down side is just how long it’s taking. Especially Manning, who’s been here since age 18 in 2016. That’s eight years ago, he’s now 26, and I think we are past the point we can blame the COVID season, and he hasn’t thrown 90 innings at any level since 2021. We have to start wondering whether this is his peak, or even past it. 

Just to pick nits on the COVID season, we’re down with that as an impediment to development at this point in general, right?  I would think there’s been ample time to get past that impediment.

As for Manning, it’s just hope at this point.  I doubt he returns to the rotation unless it’s only to fill it out to finish the season.   Can he contribute out of the bullpen, or is it just time to let him move on?  That seems to be the question at this point.

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The only type of player in all of baseball that Javy could possibly be traded for would be somebody like Anthony Rendon, a vet like Javy that is still owed 10s of millions of dollars for the next few years and completely sucks. 

Jays will owe Bichette 27M, but that's chump change compared to what we owe Javy, He is sucking this year - but it's injury related - reported as 'calf fascia strain' and given that he took a couple weeks off and it didn't improve, sounds to me like  compartment syndrome is a possibility (see Cunningham, Cade) in which case the sooner the better for surgery.

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

Just to pick nits on the COVID season, we’re down with that as an impediment to development at this point in general, right?  I would think there’s been ample time to get past that impediment.

As for Manning, it’s just hope at this point.  I doubt he returns to the rotation unless it’s only to fill it out to finish the season.   Can he contribute out of the bullpen, or is it just time to let him move on?  That seems to be the question at this point.

I agree, it's not a matter of Manning 'progressing' anymore - he is currently plateaued short of the mark. He has to do something to get on a different path - or maybe to get back to where he was before the injury last season, when he was performing fairly well. Maybe he lost some aspect of his old mechanics after being out,  or whether he needs some new repertoire or new mechanics is the brain trust's task to solve if possible.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes, I too am "down", as you kids apparently like to say, with both the idea that the COVID season was an impediment to development, and that four years should be enough for a top flight talent to have gotten past it. And lest we forget, when we drafted Matt Manning, it was with the idea that he was a top flight talent. But he has proven that can't strike guys out, and now he can't seem to keep from walking guys. That's a bad combination that's not going to play in a major league bullpen, and I'm not sure we have room for a garbage-time guy only. We just had one of those added to our bullpen this week.

Manning is still cheap this year so he's still worth working on, but he starts to get more expensive starting next year. Probably not a lot more—I wouldn't think an arbitrator would give him much more than three bills, if even that—so maybe we give him one more shot at it next year. But really, the hourglass is running out fast on this guy.

I can't remember the injury(wanting to say shoulder) but after he had that injury in 2019 he never was the same pitcher. Before that injury he looked like he was putting everything together in AA, completely dominating guys but after that he just hasn't been the same.  Could've been something completely unrelated to the injury but whatever the case he just hasn't been the same pitcher since. 

9 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Two thumbs UP.

And we still have Maeda to kick around next year... So it's really Mize/ Maeda/ Manning/ Montero and let's just see what hashes out of that next year...

At least through Spring Training to make certain Jobe is ready for this jump - he may not be just yet - or at least as cover for any injuries...

This is great and all..... Whose on 1st? Whose in LF, CF and C? (assuming Keith 3B, Jung 2B And Baez SS)........

24 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

This is great and all..... Whose on 1st? Whose in LF, CF and C? (assuming Keith 3B, Jung 2B And Baez SS)........

???

The question is who is in the starting rotation next year.

Why are you going completely off the rails with stuff that has NOTHING to do with the starting rotation?

41 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

???

The question is who is in the starting rotation next year.

Why are you going completely off the rails with stuff that has NOTHING to do with the starting rotation?

Easier to sign a starter than it is to fill 4-5 position players.......

4 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Easier to sign a starter than it is to fill 4-5 position players.......

So what's your point?

We're NOT ALLOWED to discuss next year's rotation possibilities?

Is that what you're saying?

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

So what's your point?

We're NOT ALLOWED to discuss next year's rotation possibilities?

Is that what you're saying?

Not at all. Quite the contrary. I'm just pointing out that Skubal has more value being traded right now than in our rotation next year..... 

Skubal has value at the gate...pick up a deadline bat or two and hang onto everyone else and you could make enough noise in the standings that you will draw crowds ...esp when he's pitching. Trade him now and you are clearly throwing in the towel and signalling to your fans that you're done for the year. This will kill interest and attendance

19 hours ago, casimir said:

I think Manning will be traded at the deadline. If not, he'll be up here when they trade Flaherty. We have no control over the moves Harris makes/doesn't make. All we have are opinions and speculation. 

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

I think Manning will be traded at the deadline.

IDK, maybe as a pot sweetener but he I would guess he doesn't have much value right now  - unless maybe some org has someone on staff who is ex-Detroit and thinks he knows some key for Manning no-one else has figured out.

22 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Skubal has value at the gate...pick up a deadline bat or two and hang onto everyone else and you could make enough noise in the standings that you will draw crowds ...esp when he's pitching. Trade him now and you are clearly throwing in the towel and signalling to your fans that you're done for the year. This will kill interest and attendance

But is the attendance where the Tigers make their money? It's the shared revenue, from what I understand. I love Skubal and I think he's one of the top 3 pitchers in the AL. But if we could get a couple of everyday quality players for him, I might do it. Enough evaluation, it's time to put a quality product on the field. Skubal allows you to win every 5th day, we need position players who will help us win every day. And Skubal has more value with 2 years of team control than he will as a 3 month rental at the trade deadline in 2 years. It really is a hard decision but at least Avila isn't here to get fleeced.

We held on to both Fulmer and Boyd when their value peaked and ended up with nothing but trading Skubal seems crazy. Just offer to pay him more the next two years than he would normally make in exchange for  2 additional years so we can keep him for four years. Skubal-Olsen-Jobe is a bloody good base to build a pitching staff from.