2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

53 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

With the way the young guys are hitting right now I don't think there's any chance of them trading Skubal.

This.

It would be hard to pass up a monster trade offer from Baltimore, just for example. If they offered Mayo, Basallo, 23 yo Cam Weston (in AA, 2.51 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 10.7 K's/9, 3.7 K's-BB ratio), 22 yo Nestor German (in low-A, 1.98 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 11.1 K's/9, 3.75 K's-BB ratio), 17 yo Elvin Garcia (wildcard SS/3B in the DSL with .378 BA, 1.183 OPS, more BB's than K's... our "Willy Adames"...), would "you" (anyone can answer this, question not directed at Tigermojo alone...) turn this trade down?

What if it were Holliday, Cade Povich, Weston, German & Garcia?

I'll leave that decision up to Harris... I would have a hard time saying no to something like that.

But I don't think Skubal will be traded at the deadline. One of those Oriole packages though... Just might be "an offer Harris cannot refuse"...

28 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This.

It would be hard to pass up a monster trade offer from Baltimore, just for example. If they offered Mayo, Basallo, 23 yo Cam Weston (in AA, 2.51 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 10.7 K's/9, 3.7 K's-BB ratio), 22 yo Nestor German (in low-A, 1.98 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 11.1 K's/9, 3.75 K's-BB ratio), 17 yo Elvin Garcia (wildcard SS/3B in the DSL with .378 BA, 1.183 OPS, more BB's than K's... our "Willy Adames"...), would "you" (anyone can answer this, question not directed at Tigermojo alone...) turn this trade down?

What if it were Holliday, Cade Povich, Weston, German & Garcia?

I'll leave that decision up to Harris... I would have a hard time saying no to something like that.

But I don't think Skubal will be traded at the deadline. One of those Oriole packages though... Just might be "an offer Harris cannot refuse"...

Yes.  I don't think the Tigers will 'shop' Skubal but will listen to offers.   Most teams wouldn't have the depth to pique my interest.  

Something with Baltimore would be Holliday or Basallo and Mayo or Norby, another top 25 and a lottery ticket or two to start negotiations.  I could even see Harris throw in a bone like (Trei Cruz, Workman, Navigato...) to make sure he gets the guys he wants.    

Edited by syrett4

11 minutes ago, syrett4 said:

Yes.  I don't think the Tigers will 'shop' Skubal but will listen to offers.   Most teams wouldn't have the depth to pique my interest.  

Something with Baltimore would be Holliday or Basallo and Mayo or Norby, another top 25 and a lottery ticket or two to start negotiations.  I could even see Harris throw in a bone like (Trei Cruz, Workman, Navigato...) to make sure he gets the guys he wants.    

The "bones" would most likely be an MLB guy or two. NOT minor leaguers. A reliever like Faedo or Brieske or Foley... a hitter that the Orioles might have an interest in... If it's Kelly that makes the Orioles agree to a trade like this you DON'T tell them no. So Skubal plus Kelly or Canha or whomever they want (ONLY FA's at the end of this year, aside from bullpen guys, ALL of whom should be available to clinch a deal...) and then let Harris decide...

IMO.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

The "bones" would most likely be an MLB guy or two. NOT minor leaguers. A reliever like Faedo or Brieske or Foley... a hitter that the Orioles might have an interest in... If it's Kelly that makes the Orioles agree to a trade like this you DON'T tell them no. So Skubal plus Kelly or Canha or whomever they want (ONLY FA's at the end of this year, aside from bullpen guys, ALL of whom should be available to clinch a deal...) and then let Harris decide...

IMO.

If you want the opportunity for a future star player, you’ll target top minor leaguers, if you’ll settle for mediocrity, then insist on only major leaguers, because no one is giving up a star major league player. Sure, there’s more risk, but build the team with highly competitive players, not average ones.

8 minutes ago, Longgone said:

If you want the opportunity for a future star player, you’ll target top minor leaguers, if you’ll settle for mediocrity, then insist on only major leaguers, because no one is giving up a star major league player. Sure, there’s more risk, but build the team with highly competitive players, not average ones.

You're not paying attention.

Try again.

On 7/12/2024 at 10:05 AM, 1776 said:

I would be shopping Manning, Tork, and Dingler. Probably off season moves unless one of these guys light a fire out of nowhere. See what return is out there at least. You can move minor leaguers for prospects as well. I’d keep Kelly if he’s interested in staying for the reasons I cited above. 

Dingle stays. Carson stays.

On 7/10/2024 at 9:55 PM, chasfh said:

Rogers is a hard no. Mize is maybe 50/50 at best.

Skubal is a hard one. You could make the case that you don't want to be on the hook for six or eight years and his elbow blows up halfway through. Guys with his profile don't have good track records.

I believe Jake will be moved at the break.

I've been reading about possible destinations for Flaherty.   Named have been NYY, Bos, Balt, LAD, Milw, Cubs, I'm sure other teams would be interested as well.  

What are your thoughts on the return the Tigers could get back?   I know they are desperate for a SS but Boston has a 2B Nick Yorke.  He is 22 so he fits the timeline, is at AAA and hitting .322 avg .941 ops with 6 HR in 118 abs.   This is the kind of targeted move I'd like to see Harris make.   ...and yes I know this would potentially block Lee/move Keith to 1st etc but I'd like to focus on the type of return the Tigers could get for Flaherty.  

20 minutes ago, syrett4 said:

I've been reading about possible destinations for Flaherty.   Named have been NYY, Bos, Balt, LAD, Milw, Cubs, I'm sure other teams would be interested as well.  

What are your thoughts on the return the Tigers could get back?   I know they are desperate for a SS but Boston has a 2B Nick Yorke.  He is 22 so he fits the timeline, is at AAA and hitting .322 avg .941 ops with 6 HR in 118 abs.   This is the kind of targeted move I'd like to see Harris make.   ...and yes I know this would potentially block Lee/move Keith to 1st etc but I'd like to focus on the type of return the Tigers could get for Flaherty.  

If the Tigers are out of it and an extension is unlikely and the trade on the table is better value than the compensatory pick for offering the qualifying offer, then the trade should be made.  Personally I wouldn’t get too wrapped up in other in house prospects’ positions at the moment.  Ideally they could acquire a SS of the future, but legit prospect talent should be the bottom line.  Other moves could be made later on to acquire an exact position of need.  But as of now, just build up the talent base.

• Like 1

I hope we don’t take a linear approach to adding talent—doesn’t have to just be moving veterans for prospects.  If we can also package some prospects for a controllable player (i.e., Vladdy or Bichette), we should do that, as well.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2024 at 5:21 AM, Timmitch55 said:

Dingler stays. Carson stays.

Carson stays ONLY if he signs an extension PRIOR to the deadline.

IMO.

If he has no extension by this trading deadline, I believe he will be moved.

I won't put a high (IE: 95%) rate of belief in that though, and same with Flaherty...

Because I'm thinking Harris/ Hinch/ Org may make the decision to "screw it, let's just go for as many wins as we can get to this year".

I don't know what Harris is thinking in that vein, at least this year. Because... he's stated that his immediate goal is to build up the Org's system/ depth. And stated a few times I believe that he is going to trade these guys. To further build up our prospect pipeline.

But with a competitive team trying to "grow up" and actually be able to win games... he may go against that and opt for Wins instead of Org Depth. I don't know what his thought process will be, faced with the current year situation.

On 7/14/2024 at 5:27 AM, Timmitch55 said:

I believe Jake will be moved at the break.

Jake might be moved.

But it won't be at the break.

It will be this year's offseason, at the earliest.

But I'm thinking more along the lines of trade deadline NEXT year... That allows time for the Tigers to sign Kelly back to Detroit, for Dingler to show what he has/ does NOT have to offer in MLB... And to make certain injuries don't derail any of these plans...

Tigers own the rights to Rogers for the next 2 or 3 years... They're not just going to dump him. While they still have question marks at Catcher.

I am starting to come around to the idea that, assuming we don’t trade for a catcher, Jake stays, Carson goes, and we take a flyer on Dingler for next year. I think Carson is going to want too many guaranteed years to re-sign him and our core is not yet built up enough to do that. Recent 10-4 run notwithstanding, I believe we still have too many holes left to fill before we do the kind of patch-up work that signing a 31-year old catcher to a 3-year or a 2+1 would be.

Also, let’s pretend that we come out of the break and go 7-4 or better by the morning of July 30. That might be unlikely since we have three at TOR, four at CLE, and then home for MINx3 and CLEx1. That would make us 54-54 at minimum. Do we become buyers? I predict we don’t. I believe the idea was always that we would use this season to evaluate what we have in-house from Avila that we can go long with, and if we happen to contend, that would be a happy upside outcome that will be good experience for future seasons for the guys who do stay.

I think the bigger, tougher question at that point would be, would we still sell Flaherty et al? I think we probably would not unless we were to get a Mayo+ or Salas+ type package, which I think is super unlikely. Trading our top chip at the deadline while we are in such an upsurge would be really demoralizing to the guys, and I don’t think Harris would do that; plus if we keep Flaherty, it would not be a dead loss because we would go the QO route with him this winter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I am starting to come around to the idea that, assuming we don’t trade for a catcher, Jake stays, Carson goes, and we take a flyer on Dingler for next year. I think Carson is going to want too many guaranteed years to re-sign him and our core is not yet built up enough to do that. Recent 10-4 run notwithstanding, I believe we still have too many holes left to fill before we do the kind of patch-up work that signing a 31-year old catcher to a 3-year or a 2+1 would be.

No to 3.  2+1 depends upon the terms of the 1.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

... would we still sell Flaherty et al? I think we probably would not unless we were to get a Mayo+ or Salas+ type package, which I think is super unlikely. Trading our top chip at the deadline while we are in such an upsurge would be really demoralizing to the guys, and I don’t think Harris would do that; plus if we keep Flaherty, it would not be a dead loss because we would go the QO route with him this winter.

I am also thinking along this line...