2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

27 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Skubal trade speculation article in SI by Tom Verducci

https://apple.news/AQsdOb299TLiW5pASRdV83g

I like the part in the article that mentions 3 postseasons rather than just the 2+ seasons of control.  I suppose the former could/should be understood by the latter.  But it just seemed to come across differently reading it that way.

• Like 1

i'll say again, the deal would need to irrational. 5 or 6 guys from the top 15 of your system. Harris should not settle for a good return or a solid deal; needs to be a bat-sh** crazy offer

(and i'll say this again: Skubal, Jobe, Flaherty, Olson, Mize/Manning/Montero/Maeda/Madden, is a pretty nice rotation going forward)

• Like 5

On 7/4/2024 at 8:35 AM, tiger2022 said:

If the long term plan is putting a below average hitting 2nd baseman at 1st base, the front office should be fired ASAP.

Keith would be the worst first baseman in the league.

image.png.37dcfb13705a1d44a401feebbd61dbdf.png

I know, I know... small sample size and all that... but I didn't read this comment until relatively recently and thought "What do you mean below average? He's been hitting like crazy!" But obviously we need to see if is an anomaly or the new normal for Keith.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

image.png.37dcfb13705a1d44a401feebbd61dbdf.png

I know, I know... small sample size and all that... but I didn't read this comment until relatively recently and thought "What do you mean below average? He's been hitting like crazy!" But obviously we need to see if is an anomaly or the new normal for Keith.

If Keith can hit like a first baseman and play a below average second base, leave him at second. If he can’t quite hit like a solid first baseman, then it would be stupid to move him there. If he doesn’t at all have the hands or movements of an infielder, for heaven’s sake, don’t assume he can handle first.

Keith needs to hit a lot and there is a very good chance that he will.  I don't think he is going to have any defensive value anywhere and I am not very concerned about where he ends up.  If they have a good defender for second base who can hit adequately, then by all means move Keith to first.  Otherwise, I don't think it matters.   

Edited by Tiger337

quietly, Colt Keith has moved his OAA to an even zero (statcast), granted Rds still doesn't like him, but given his experience level he's doing OK. It's too big a loss of value to move a good bat who can play a better defensive position out of it until there is no hope and there is still plenty of hope for Keith. Move Keith to 1st and you will just put another bat on the bench who is a worse fielder, and at this point I can already say with confidence that the Tigers will have a worse fielder with a good bat they will have to do something with.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If Hao-Yu Lee continues his rapid ascent and Tork doesn't recover in time, Colt Keith is moving to first.

Prospects are prospects until they actually hatch. The percentage of good AA hitters make it in the majors isn't so great.

then again, the counterpoint to my usual MiLB hitter skepticism is that Malloy has had a pretty good last 50 PA.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Prospects are prospects until they actually hatch. The percentage of good AA hitters make it in the majors isn't so great.

then again, the counterpoint to my usual MiLB hitter skepticism is that Malloy has had a pretty good last 50 PA.

The Tigers simply need to develop players.  Position players that can hit and field, pitchers that can pitch.  If logjams of talent along the way happen, that would be a fantastic problem to have.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

fair enough.... it would actually be nice if the Tigers got to a place where we had good players we didn't know what to do with instead of the other kind!

The other kind meaning bad players we do know what to do with? 😉

This is Avila's strategy is stick first-glove optional player acquisitions coming home to roost. And too many of those stick-firsts were either stick-optional or stick-none.

(Yes, I acknowledge Malloy is Harris's pickup.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

i'll say again, the deal would need to irrational. 5 or 6 guys from the top 15 of your system. Harris should not settle for a good return or a solid deal; needs to be a bat-sh** crazy offer

(and i'll say this again: Skubal, Jobe, Flaherty, Olson, Mize/Manning/Montero/Maeda/Madden, is a pretty nice rotation going forward)

I've said it once, and I'll say it again

Skubal for

Cowser/Kjersted (Don't care which one)
Mayo
Basallo
Povich/McDermit (Don't care which one)

Plus one other 
Norby (I like most but this is probably too much)

You Do it!

Get'er done Scott. 

Wouldn't it be cool to announce a trade during an All-Star Game. Can you imagine an Orioles player coming up to Skubal and giving him a Jersey and saying, "Welcome to the team!"

Admit it, that'd be dope.....

I wonder if that's ever happened. Good trivia. Doubt it but it'd be cool if it did.

I think someone else mentioned this before here, but one of the factors that might reduce the possibility of trading Skubal is his innings load. He is a max-effort fireballer with two surgeries on his elbow who is already at 116.2 innings this year. His max all-time was 149.1 in 2021, which may have helped lead to his second trip to the table the following season. At the rate he's going, that puts him at 195 innings for 32 starts. Add to that the probability of adding another 30 to 40 innings in October at the highest stress levels imaginable, and I could see top teams being a bit skittish about the prospect of emptying out the top of their farm systems in the hopes that he helps get them a ring this year.

Yes, it's true that Skubal would be under control for three postseasons, but no one would trade for him this July just so they could put him on the shelf until next year.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think someone else mentioned this before here, but one of the factors that might reduce the possibility of trading Skubal is his innings load. He is a max-effort fireballer with two surgeries on his elbow who is already at 116.2 innings this year. His max all-time was 149.1 in 2021, which may have helped lead to his second trip to the table the following season. At the rate he's going, that puts him at 195 innings for 32 starts. Add to that the probability of adding another 30 to 40 innings in October at the highest stress levels imaginable, and I could see top teams being a bit skittish about the prospect of emptying out the top of their farm systems in the hopes that he helps get them a ring this year.

Yes, it's true that Skubal would be under control for three postseasons, but no one would trade for him this July just so they could put him on the shelf until next year.

The science just isn't there to get past guess work. Fulmer a good example where those of us that dismissed his injury history were wrong, we should have made a trade. OTOH, Sanchez had a horrible 2x TJ past and pitched for years afterward, though no doubt he didn't throw as hard as Skubal. One thing in Tarik's favor is that he is more a change of speed guy than a pure spin guy, but that bit of conventional wisdom probably isn't really worth much.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The science just isn't there to get past guess work. Fulmer a good example where those of us that dismissed his injury history were wrong, we should have made a trade. OTOH, Sanchez had a horrible 2x TJ past and pitched for years afterward, though no doubt he didn't throw as hard as Skubal. One thing in Tarik's favor is that he is more a change of speed guy than a pure spin guy, but that bit of conventional wisdom probably isn't really worth much.

I'm not arguing we should not trade Skubal. I think we should for a truly redonkulous offer. I'm speculating that top teams might be less willing to back up the Brinks for him if they have questions as to whether he can help them in October this year, which is the main reason they'd want him.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

If Hao-Yu Lee continues his rapid ascent and Tork doesn't recover in time, Colt Keith is moving to first.

Actually, if the first two happen, they would probably acquire an actual first baseman.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm not arguing we should not trade Skubal. I think we should for a truly redonkulous offer. I'm speculating that top teams might be less willing to back up the Brinks for him if they have questions as to whether he can help them in October this year, which is the main reason they'd want him.

Just curious, (not just you but anyone).

Lets say a hypothetical situation, where our team was the Orioles current players but we had the Tigers Farm system.

Would you trade your top 4 prospects (Clark, McGonigle, Jung, Jobe) to get to the World Series This year if your team was stacked? 

I'm truly curious on the responses to that question.

10 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious, (not just you but anyone).

Lets say a hypothetical situation, where our team was the Orioles current players but we had the Tigers Farm system.

Would you trade your top 4 prospects (Clark, McGonigle, Jung, Jobe) to get to the World Series This year if your team was stacked? 

I'm truly curious on the responses to that question.

Absolutely NOT. I have seen all of those guys play. They are ALL MLB ballplayers. Don't sleep on McGonigle, he is the real deal.