2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

You will probably not get equal value for Skubal...and odds are we aren't going to sign him. How about we just try to win in the next two years and see what happens?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I think someone else mentioned this before here, but one of the factors that might reduce the possibility of trading Skubal is his innings load. He is a max-effort fireballer with two surgeries on his elbow who is already at 116.2 innings this year. His max all-time was 149.1 in 2021, which may have helped lead to his second trip to the table the following season. At the rate he's going, that puts him at 195 innings for 32 starts. Add to that the probability of adding another 30 to 40 innings in October at the highest stress levels imaginable, and I could see top teams being a bit skittish about the prospect of emptying out the top of their farm systems in the hopes that he helps get them a ring this year.

Yes, it's true that Skubal would be under control for three postseasons, but no one would trade for him this July just so they could put him on the shelf until next year.

Orioles have the players. No way will they move that many for Skubal. Dodgers don't have enough. Mariners might be interesting.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious, (not just you but anyone).

Lets say a hypothetical situation, where our team was the Orioles current players but we had the Tigers Farm system.

Would you trade your top 4 prospects (Clark, McGonigle, Jung, Jobe) to get to the World Series This year if your team was stacked? 

I'm truly curious on the responses to that question.

Absolutely. Flags fly forever and it's not like we would fall off a cliff after that year. Burnes and Skubal would be a heck of a 1 & 2 punch. This is coming from someone who watches and follows the minor teams pretty heavily. 

Edited by LongLiveMaroth

Just curious, (not just you but anyone).

Lets say a hypothetical situation, where our team was the Orioles current players but we had the Tigers Farm system.

Would you trade your top 4 prospects (Clark, McGonigle, Jung, Jobe) to get to the World Series This year if your team was stacked? 

I'm truly curious on the responses to that question.

No, but Skubal would not require the Orioles top four prospects. I propose to the Greg Pappas guy who was here briefly that they trade their #1 and #2, plus a couple of lottery tickets. Even that is probably too rich for most teams, and I would assume the Orioles would turn it down, but then, maybe not.

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

rather have someone who has some development already then someone who might be something in 4 to 5 years

Sure, but if you don't get your target players, do you lower price at the last minute just to get someone this year you hope will be big league ready versus a first-round draft pick?

9 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Absolutely. Flags fly forever and it's not like we would fall off a cliff after that year. Burnes and Skubal would be a heck of a 1 & 2 punch. This is coming from someone who watches and follows the minor teams pretty 

I would fire you if you traded those 4. Even DD would not make that deal!

... Would you trade your top 4 prospects (Clark, McGonigle, Jung, Jobe) to get to the World Series This year if your team was stacked? 

TOP FOUR...?

No, there's no team that would ever do that. Unless their top 4 wasn't that good. 

To get Miggy, we traded our top 2 (at the time, Andrew Miller and Cam Maybin) plus other pieces. And that's what we're asking (as a ridiculous huge ask but we won't settle for anything less...) of the Orioles with TWO of their top 6-ish I think. And plus some lesser pieces.

So if WE were in that spot... I'd probably call Clark & Jobe untouchable (as the Orioles are probably doing with Holliday and probably Basallo) but everyone else available. So that would mean starting with Jung & McGonigle and adding as few more, lower, pieces.

If we had the Orioles team and could add a Skubal today, right now (2 1/2 years under control)... ? I'd say yes to a Jung + McGonigle + other pieces package.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Sure, but if you don't get your target players, do you lower price at the last minute just to get someone this year you hope will be big league ready versus a first-round draft pick?

I mean one lottery ticket now or in a year

For the Orioles, probably something like Basallo and Mayo and Enrique Bradfield Jr. Holliday would be off limits and they wouldn't trade all 3 of Basallo, Mayo and Kjerstad. Kjerstad and Cowser are also useful for their MLB team right now, and both Basallo and Mayo may get moved down the defensive spectrum, so I'd guess they'd lean toward dangling those two.

For the Dodgers, something like Dalton Rushing, Andy Pages and Justin Wrobleski.

Seattle would also be interesting. I'm guessing Harris loves Emerson. So, Harry Ford, Colt Emerson and Cole Young. Or, at least 2 of those guys.

It isn't often that the Tigers have this kind of decision ahead of them.   The MLB roster as currently constructed isn't that far away from a playoff spot, but are quite a ways from a WS title.   

I often play the what-if game in my head.   It was rumored Yordon Alvarez was in the original JV deal but Avilia came back and asked them to take on more salary so they ended up taking less in prospects.   It was rumored that the Cubs offered a package with Gleyber Torres as part of a potential trade for Fulmer back in 2016 and I want to say there was a deal in place with Seattle to send the 2021 version of Boyd there, but I can't recall who the Tigers would have gotten back.  

Imagine the current Tigers having Alvarez and Torres in the lineup and maybe a Seattle starter or even Kelenic if Al would have any negotiation skills at all.  

The Tigers are not paying Skubal $40mil+ for 8+ years in 2 years and he is at his highest value now.  Boyd and Fulmer went on to get injured and by the time they were dealt they were worth a fraction of what they once were, in fact I think they ended up getting nothing for Boyd.  

If Baltimore calls and offers any combination of Holiday Basallio Mayo Norby and add in a couple lottery tickets, they have to listen.   The Tigers have played it too conservative in the past and I'd love to see them roll the dice a little in a blockbuster deal. 

3 hours ago, Timmitch55 said:

Absolutely NOT. I have seen all of those guys play. They are ALL MLB ballplayers. Don't sleep on McGonigle, he is the real deal.

"I have seen all of those guys play" is not convincing unless you are a scout.  By all accounts, all four are very good prospects though.  

3 hours ago, Timmitch55 said:

Orioles have the players. No way will they move that many for Skubal. Dodgers don't have enough. Mariners might be interesting.

I just saw an interesting idea on X (Twitter).    Skubal and Javy for 2 high end Dodger prospects and a lottery ticket or two.   Tigers are able to salary dump in this idea while getting back a little less in prospects than they would get from Baltimore. 

42 minutes ago, syrett4 said:

I just saw an interesting idea on X (Twitter).    Skubal and Javy for 2 high end Dodger prospects and a lottery ticket or two.   Tigers are able to salary dump in this idea while getting back a little less in prospects than they would get from Baltimore. 

I don't think that is smart at all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

I don't think that is smart at all.

I don’t think so, either.  They’ll just eat the last 3 years of his deal.  Probably would have done similar with Cabrera, but he still had some marketing value and they didn’t want to ruin the relationship.  I suspect none of that is a concern with Baez.

• Like 1

Just now, Tenacious D said:

I don’t think so, either.  They’ll just eat the last 3 years of his deal.  Probably would have done similar with Cabrera, but he still had some marketing value and they didn’t want to ruin the relationship.  I suspect none of that is a concern with Baez.

No one will take Baez under any deal scenario with his bat the way it is currently. The only way Javy ever plays for a major league team other than the Tigers is if we cut him, he catches on with another team, maybe on two-way Spring Training invite, and he somehow finds his bat.

PS: I think the Dodgers have enough high-end prospects to complete a satisfactory package for Skubal. Without getting into any shenanigans.

I would ask for Dalton Rushing, Jackson Ferris, Joendry Vargas and of course Maddux Bruns (power-armed lefty with almost no control...). Gotta have a "DD" prospect to clinch it. That's Bruns...

5 hours ago, kdog said:

You will probably not get equal value for Skubal...and odds are we aren't going to sign him. How about we just try to win in the next two years and see what happens?

Two years?  He’s under control for the next three postseasons.  Let’s work with that.

1 hour ago, syrett4 said:

I don’t like the idea of coupling a bad asset with Skubal in a trade scenario.

What the Tigers need to do is build up the offense in total, work to get Baez back to an 80 OPS+ individually, and use his talents as the best fielding SS in the organization.

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would ask for Dalton Rushing, Jackson Ferris, Joendry Vargas and of course Maddux Bruns (power-armed lefty with almost no control...). Gotta have a "DD" prospect to clinch it. That's Bruns...

This would be way, way too light of a package to trade Skubal.    

• Like 2

One thing we don't know about is whether or not the Tigers and Skubal have entertained extension talks and how those have gone.  The tenor of those talks could dictate the decision.

I hedge on keeping him and making things work for a playoff run while he's here.  How can they get to 90 wins and into the tournament.  Shouldn't be that difficult with some of the pieces that they have and only one albatross of a contract on the books.

12 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This would be way, way too light of a package to trade Skubal.    

So the quick question is:

If you were structuring a "Want List" of Dodgers prospects to receive in a trade for Skubal: What would that realistically be (meaning, the Dodgers might agree to that package... such as: if you "want" their Top 7 prospects in that trade and list them as your "reasonable" or "likely" return... they most likely would not agree with you so... no trade)?

I think I structured my trade proposal correctly, and found the guys I wanted... and the flexibility from my angle would be to add maybe another prospect that fills out the package. IE: "Adding one other guy" I think is in the ballpark. Asking for their top 7 (obviously I'm just making that up...) is not, IMO.