2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

3 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

It’s fun to speculate on a huge haul from trading Skubal. I think it’s much more likely that Flaherty is swapped. With that as a basis, what should we look to be getting back (position and/or teams)?

The Tigers are aiming for a top 30 prospect. Realistically it'd probably be closer to 50 and a throw in pitcher/lottery ticket. 

They should be able to get a top 100 prospect pretty easily. 

• Like 1

Since we are playing the what if game… What would a return look like if they package Skubal and Flaherty together?  

If Baltimore could have Burnes, Skubal, Flaherty as their 1-2-3 and not give up a single player off their major league roster, wouldn’t they be stupid not consider Holliday, Mayo, and Bassalo.  What’s the point is of collecting prospects when you are so close especially when you haven’t been to the Series in 41 years.    

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Skubal has been great but not as great as Soto was at the time of the trade.

Do you realize how rare a power throwing Cy young worthy lefty is with 4 years of control? Whens the last one? Randy Johnson? (And yes, Juan Soto is a generational talent). But Skubals on the path. Not to mention, he's going to make whichever team acquires him the front runner for the World Series for the next 2 years (at least). I say that because you pair him and Corbin Burnes as a 1-2 with BAL, who else can give you that good of a 1-2? Chances of you winning a 5 game series go up 10 fold. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Do you realize how rare a power throwing Cy young worthy lefty is with 4 years of control? Whens the last one? Randy Johnson? (And yes, Juan Soto is a generational talent). But Skubals on the path. Not to mention, he's going to make whichever team acquires him the front runner for the World Series for the next 2 years (at least). I say that because you pair him and Corbin Burnes as a 1-2 with BAL, who else can give you that good of a 1-2? Chances of you winning a 5 game series go up 10 fold. 

Less than 2.5 years of control with injury history and risk.

7 hours ago, Hongbit said:

We really need the Yankees and maybe the Phillies to get involved too.  FOMO to a team that you may be playing in the LCS to get to the Series is how insane bidding wars happen.  

A team a lot of people may be discounting here are the Red Sox. They have the farm system and have over performed. I could see them offering some high end prospects for Skubal to go along with Houck and Pivetta.

9 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

A team a lot of people may be discounting here are the Red Sox. They have the farm system and have over performed. I could see them offering some high end prospects for Skubal to go along with Houck and Pivetta.

MM

4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

A poster pointed out they were browsing here and got me to stop back over.  I always appreciate the effort folks put into trade proposals but must say this one I quoted is beyond reasonable.  I can assure you that there is no way that the Orioles will trade Mayo AND Basallo in a trade (if they even deal them at all) and you add Kjerstad or Cowser AND Povich or McDermott AND maybe Norby.  It would absolutely shock me if we did something like Mayo and Kjerstad (or Cowser) and no one else, much less the rest of it.  

This link works up a Skubal trade to 3 targets (using their logic):

https://tigersmlreport.com/2024/07/08/what-a-tarik-skubal-trade-would-look-like/

To the Orioles for Basallo, Kjerstad, Jackson Baumeister, and Leandro Arias.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

PS: But I like my Orioles proposal better.

They also have a Dodgers trade with Rushing, Freeland, Edgardo Henriquez and Dylan Campbell coming back. I like mine better.

And a Cardinals trade that I didn't really check up on...

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Since we are playing the what if game… What would a return look like if they package Skubal and Flaherty together?  

If Baltimore could have Burnes, Skubal, Flaherty as their 1-2-3 and not give up a single player off their major league roster, wouldn’t they be stupid not consider Holliday, Mayo, and Bassalo.  What’s the point is of collecting prospects when you are so close especially when you haven’t been to the Series in 41 years.    

For Skubal. Yes. Both. No.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

This link works up a Skubal trade to 3 targets (using their logic):

https://tigersmlreport.com/2024/07/08/what-a-tarik-skubal-trade-would-look-like/

To the Orioles for Basallo, Kjerstad, Jackson Baumeister, and Leandro Arias.

Your thoughts?

I like the option of the last paragraph;

"They are probably better off trying to build a proper offense and bullpen in free agency and making another run at the playoffs in 2025. And if it doesn’t work out next year, they can still trade him before 2026 and get a strong return."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've watched a lot of Mayer. I think he's exceptionally overrated. He's a solid but not plus defender. He has a decent hit tool. He doesn't drive the baseball with any type authority. If the hit tool falters at all when he gets to the big leagues, he's barely an everyday player. I fail to see a carrying tool anywhere in the profile. I wouldn't push for him as a headliner in a deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, microline133 said:

I've watched a lot of Mayer. I think he's exceptionally overrated. He's a solid but not plus defender. He has a decent hit tool. He doesn't drive the baseball with any type authority. If the hit tool falters at all when he gets to the big leagues, he's barely an everyday player. I fail to see a carrying tool anywhere in the profile. I wouldn't push for him as a headliner in a deal.

Always appreciate your knowledge and opinions Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Would the last comparable trade be Sale to Boston in 2016 for a Skubal comparison? Moncada was #2 and Kopech was top 20 and there were two fliers along with that. 

I don't think Sale had 2.5 years of cheap control left when the White Sox traded him to Boston. I would say no. I think Skubal will generate a better return package... at least a little bit better...