2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

22 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

This link works up a Skubal trade to 3 targets (using their logic):

https://tigersmlreport.com/2024/07/08/what-a-tarik-skubal-trade-would-look-like/

To the Orioles for Basallo, Kjerstad, Jackson Baumeister, and Leandro Arias.

Your thoughts?

Most at the Orioles Hangout said no, but not all.  Man, I'd love to get Skubal, but it just seems like it'll be too tough to get done. 

10 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Most at the Orioles Hangout said no, but not all.  Man, I'd love to get Skubal, but it just seems like it'll be too tough to get done. 

It will primarily be tough because we're "on the cusp" as well.

A LOT of learning curves and rookie/ 2nd year struggles for us.

But we still have more guys coming up, and to be a strong playoff contender, this year and next year and in 2026, we have a high degree/ desire to keep Skubal. I don't think Harris/ Hinch even want to consider trading Skubal.

That's why it has to be a "Godfather" offer. It has to be something that Harris just can't refuse. It has to be big. It may not quite approach the Soto trade... but it has to at least be (IMO) the kinds of trades that I and a couple other Motowners on here have indicated will be the trade cost. Or more (none of us knows EXACTLY what would make Harris pull the trigger...). It will be... a lot. Harris won't budge otherwise. That's what will make it too tough to get this done. Pay a huge price, or there's no deal to be made.

And also, remember...

We can play your Orioles off against the Dodgers.

Quick question:

You and your buddies will be really, really, pleased when we send Skubal over to the Dodgers. Yes?

I can see how the Orioles and their fans would be hesitant to do some of the proposed trades on here, I know I would be if the roles were reversed. Fans are always timid to trade their prospects and potentially end up looking silly if those prospects pan out but at the same time when you already have a stacked young team sometimes it makes sense to "overpay" to potentially get a guy that could put you over the top. 

Also with how well Orioles prospects have panned out at the big league level it probably makes it even harder for them to swallow to trade them. If you were a fan of a team who watched a bunch of "can't miss prospects" fail at the big leagues you probably would be more open to trade them for a proven guy but atleast in recent history that hasn't been the case with the Orioles. So yeah I can get their viewpoint.

Edited by RandyMarsh

47 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

It is a great problem to have, no doubt.  Basallo will be ready as soon as late next season, so he can backup Rutschman and play 1B/DH.  Holliday will likely return this season, but I've been hoping they'll start grooming him to take over CF next season.  That way Westburg plays 2B and Mayo 3B.  Kjerstad is slotted in to start in RF next year as Santander is a FA at year's end.  We have room, but our manager, Brandon Hyde, has been hesitant to move on from vets, though that will resolve itself next season.  Mullins and Hays may also not return, though we have control for another season for each.  So much to consider.

Who’s going to pitch?    

You guys have an amazing farm with some super talented players but it’s not realistic to plan for all of them.  You need more proven arms.  A few really good prospects that go on to become really good players are going to be traded at the deadline by the O’s in the coming years.  That’s just how it works when you become a legitimate Series contender.   You can’t put your best foot forward at winning a title without trading away prospects to strengthen your team in season.

I also have a few thoughts on just snap of the fingers moving guys on defense and not thinking it could become a big detriment especially in the playoffs.  Doing it for one special player may work but you can’t move multiple guys this late in their development and expect to still play really good defense.  

Edited by Hongbit

I think it would obviously take a lot but I don’t think it’ll only be the major league ready prospects. I just don’t think the Orioles would accept all major league or close ready prospects. Secondly I don’t think the Tigers really want to trade Skubal so the odds of getting a package good enough to trade him would be slim. 

My guess is at best it would be

one of - Holliday, Basallo and Mayo. 
one of- Norby Cowser and Stowers 

one SP of- McDermott, Povich, Johnson

one- young high ceiling low floor flyer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Who’s going to pitch?    

You guys have an amazing farm with some super talented players but it’s not realistic to plan for all of them.  You need more proven arms.  A few really good prospects that go on to become really good players are going to be traded at the deadline by the O’s in the coming years.  That’s just how it works when you become a legitimate Series contender.   You can’t put your best foot forward at winning a title without trading away prospects to strengthen your team in season.

I also have a few thoughts on just snap of the fingers moving guys on defense and not thinking it could become a big detriment especially in the playoffs.  Doing it for one special player may work but you can’t move multiple guys this late in their development and expect to still play really good defense.  

I agree with you in general.  We do need to make a move or moves for pitching, but was illustrating that the "logjam" isn't that backed up.  It is cool to imagine all of these guys in the lineup but the odds are that something will go down at the deadline, and one or more of these bigger prospects could be a part of that.

Yeah, I wasn't saying this year in regards to the defense.  But rather beginning next season and on from there.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

But we still have more guys coming up, and to be a strong playoff contender, this year and next year and in 2026, we have a high degree/ desire to keep Skubal. I don't think Harris/ Hinch even want to consider trading Skubal.

That's why it has to be a "Godfather" offer. It has to be something that Harris just can't refuse. It has to be big. It may not quite approach the Soto trade... but it has to at least be (IMO) the kinds of trades that I and a couple other Motowners on here have indicated will be the trade cost. Or more (none of us knows EXACTLY what would make Harris pull the trigger...). It will be... a lot. Harris won't budge otherwise. That's what will make it too tough to get this done. Pay a huge price, or there's no deal to be made.

And also, remember...

Quick question:

You and your buddies will be really, really, pleased when we send Skubal over to the Dodgers. Yes?

The Dodgers have nowhere near the prospect value we do, so if Skubal is dealt to them, it'll likely be because Elias just wouldn't pull the trigger.  He's in a tough spot and other teams know it.  So, it'll be interesting to see how he resolves our needs.

12 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

If they trade Skubal, the ownership will be saying screw you to the fans.  

I highly doubt ownership will be the deciding factor here but don't let that get in the way of a good ol' dead horse beating of Illitch being a bad owner. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

This is true of most any player at any time; if you get the right offer, you make the trade.

45 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

If they ever want to get out of stagnant purgatory, they better be saying screw you to the fans..... Otherwise we are still 5-6 years from sniffing the playoffs....

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

And also, remember...

Quick question:

I agree they can be a playoff contender next year, not a primary contender, but one that could sneak in their with good development from youngsters and a few secondary acquisitions in free agency in trades.  They should be trying to put a competitive team on the field every year now.  They can develop their future "core" in the minors and be reasonably competive at the same time.

And yes, every player is available at the right price.  I don't expect that to happen with Skubal though.  

10 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I highly doubt ownership will be the deciding factor here but don't let that get in the way of a good ol' dead horse beating of Illitch being a bad owner. 

Facts are facts.  You are what your record says you are in MLB.  Chris Ilitch's record while owner: 466-660.  I'm sorry that I am not on here venerating Ilitch. If you think he has done an amazing job, you are welcome to your opinion.

Edited by tiger2022

1 hour ago, Topliner1903 said:

In a trade with Baltimore, perhaps the Tigers could make it more palatable for them by including a prospect with Skubal, like Jace Jung or Hao Yu Lee. 

I was thinking more along the lines of... if we're getting Kjerstad, do we send over Kerry Carpenter? And I don't think they'd have interest in more prospects, but maybe a Carson Kelly and Jason Foley.

If it takes Skubal, Kelly, and Foley or Skubal, Carpenter and Faedo (just for some examples) to get Holliday, Basallo, and a few high-end pitching prospects (even if a couple are in the lower minors) then I say do it. If that's what clinches a big deal... Do it.

16 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Facts are facts.  You are what your record says you are in MLB.  Chris Ilitch's record while owner: 466-660.  I'm sorry that I am not on here venerating Ilitch. If you think he has done an amazing job, you are welcome to your opinion.

I just confused on how this would be on ownership. Seems like an unnecessary jump.