2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mean Harris has already turned Gregory Soto into Matt Vierling who while not being a star has shown the ability to be a league average bat who can play adequate enough defense and be an everyday player. 

Also turned half a season of Lorenzen into Hao-Yu Lee who has been one of our more exciting prospects. 

Based on nothing more than gut, I have a feeling Hao-Yu will be a starter on playoff teams for us and will be hailed as one of Harris's savviest moves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mean Harris has already turned Gregory Soto into Matt Vierling who while not being a star has shown the ability to be a league average bat who can play adequate enough defense and be an everyday player. 

Also turned half a season of Lorenzen into Hao-Yu Lee who has been one of our more exciting prospects. 

Also picking up Holton on waivers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

As long as the season is still playing out, Baez is going nowhere. 

And honestly we saw what it was like without him. Not a super fun time having Kriedler and McKinstry as your SS. Now if we could pull someone like Nacho Alvarez from Atlanta to fill in that SS hole for next year that would be great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, casimir said:

And Andy Ibanez.

Harris hasn’t been perfect.  But no GM has been perfect over the last two seasons.

Justin Henry Malloy and Jake H??? for Joe Jiminez as well.

Not a bad first trade for Harris, I think that was his first trade.

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

This is his 2nd deadline chance. Remember his attempt to move ERod?

Yes, you’re right, I misposted, this will be Harris’s second deadline. He got Hao-Yu Lee for Michael Lorenzen. The jury is still out, but the prevailing opinion at the moment is that it was a good flip.

I don’t think Eduardo was Harris’s fault. Eduardo, with his agent, pulled the rug out from under everyone at literally the last hour. That was very well-documented.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Yes, you’re right, I misposted, this will be Harris’s second deadline. He got Hao-Yu Lee for Michael Lorenzen. The jury is still out, but the prevailing opinion at the moment is that it was a good flip.

I don’t think Eduardo was Harris’s fault. Eduardo, with his agent, pulled the rug out from under everyone at literally the last hour. That was very well-documented.

IMO, Harris is going about rebuilding the Tigers the right way, building up the minor league talent level. He needs to stay the course. Don't trade prospects, good prospects, for rentals. However, when he has talented players, he needs to do everything he can to keep them. It's why I'm against trading away talented players like Skubal. Yes, he would probably get some blue chip prospects in return but we all saw what happens when established stars are traded for "can't miss" prospects. I don't totally blame Avila, he relied on scouts opinions and I would assume he was under orders to cut payroll. A fire sale usually doesn't work out for baseball teams. But when the talk turns to ERod, the blame falls squarely on Harris. He knew for months the contract had a no-trade clause. It should have been worked out with the player before even shopping him around. Harris has mostly been a fine GM and calling out his mistakes isn't a bad thing, just like calling out his good moves doesn't make him perfect. So far, his good moves outnumber his mistakes.

Should Tiger fans be nervous about trade talks with Baltimore? After all, Nick Maton is in their system...🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

We just put Olson on the DL and called up Easton Lucas and also demoted Vilade for Bligh Madris.

Id put us in the “needs SP” list at this point

I think they mentioned yesterday that the Tigers have a week straight of RH SP on the docket.  It’s not surprising to see Vilade down for a LH bat, but for Madris rather than Baddoo just kind of cements Baddoo’s lack of future with Detroit.

Easton Lucas up for the Cleveland series?  The Guardians offense seems LHB heavy.  Pitch well, stick around.  Don’t and he’s swapped out for another pitcher for the Minnesota series, probably with an eye on a multiple inning pitcher?

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think they mentioned yesterday that the Tigers have a week straight of RH SP on the docket.  It’s not surprising to see Vilade down for a LH bat, but for Madris rather than Baddoo just kind of cements Baddoo’s lack of future with Detroit.

Easton Lucas up for the Cleveland series?  The Guardians offense seems LHB heavy.  Pitch well, stick around.  Don’t and he’s swapped out for another pitcher for the Minnesota series, probably with an eye on a multiple inning pitcher?

I imagine they’re two guys they don’t mind DFAing off the 40 man if we make a trade in the near future also.  

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But when the talk turns to ERod, the blame falls squarely on Harris. He knew for months the contract had a no-trade clause. It should have been worked out with the player before even shopping him around. 

🤣🤣

He did, and the agent turned around and ****** him at the last minute, reneging on an agreed upon deal.

8 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I imagine they’re two guys they don’t mind DFAing off the 40 man if we make a trade in the near future also.  

Worth pointing out that players on the IL in the minors cannot be DFA/Outrighted.

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

IMO, Harris is going about rebuilding the Tigers the right way, building up the minor league talent level. He needs to stay the course. Don't trade prospects, good prospects, for rentals. However, when he has talented players, he needs to do everything he can to keep them. It's why I'm against trading away talented players like Skubal. Yes, he would probably get some blue chip prospects in return but we all saw what happens when established stars are traded for "can't miss" prospects. I don't totally blame Avila, he relied on scouts opinions and I would assume he was under orders to cut payroll. A fire sale usually doesn't work out for baseball teams. But when the talk turns to ERod, the blame falls squarely on Harris. He knew for months the contract had a no-trade clause. It should have been worked out with the player before even shopping him around. Harris has mostly been a fine GM and calling out his mistakes isn't a bad thing, just like calling out his good moves doesn't make him perfect. So far, his good moves outnumber his mistakes.

Should Tiger fans be nervous about trade talks with Baltimore? After all, Nick Maton is in their system...🤣🤣

The E-Rod trade situation was probably a lot on E-Rod being a flake.  

4 minutes ago, Longgone said:

He did, and the agent turned around and ****** him at the last minute, reneging on an agreed upon deal.

I've heard this but Harris is a professional. Get an agreement in writing and then shop the player. Hearing this excuse afterward just sounds like...an excuse. "Hey, it's not MY fault, it's HIS fault." Yeah, I don't buy it. If there was "an agreed upon deal", Harris should have had it in writing. This excuse really sounds like spin control. Gaslighting...

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

Actually, I wonder if part of Madris over Baddoo is Madris’ ability to play 1B?

Big part of it is likely that they have used four of Baddoo's five optional assignments. Given the temporary nature of this move (Meadows is probably back in the next week or so I'm guessing), you don't want to burn one for Baddoo. Also, it's been less than 10 days so you wouldn't be able to except for the fact that it is technically a corresponding move for Olson's IL placement.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Worth pointing out that players on the IL in the minors cannot be DFA/Outrighted.

Yeah I was getting at that being the reason why we didn’t call up Baddoo or add Jung to the 40 man.  No reason to burn an option on them for a temporary roster move.

edit- yes exactly what you said above

Edited by monkeytargets39

47 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I've heard this but Harris is a professional. Get an agreement in writing and then shop the player. Hearing this excuse afterward just sounds like...an excuse. "Hey, it's not MY fault, it's HIS fault." Yeah, I don't buy it. If there was "an agreed upon deal", Harris should have had it in writing. This excuse really sounds like spin control. Gaslighting...

Harris never blamed anyone or made any excuses. And no one puts these things in writing, it just isn’t how things are done, generally things are done with integrity, because reputations linger forever. 

No agent is going to sign off on any leverage they may have until a deal is in place.

Edited by Longgone

Erod has yet to pitch this season for the Diamondbacks due to injury. Not saying he's not hurt or taking the sloooow road back. He burned bridges in Detroit and Boston it seems as both teams made zero effort to sign him back in free agency. Harris probably had a good trade with LA versus no/bad trades with a team not on Rod's no trade list and when Rod and his agent verbally agreed he did not expect a last minute "stick up" for more $$. I applaud him for not mentioning this afterwards or complaining to the press. He acted very professionally. It's unfortunate but not his fault. Remember the LA GM Friedman also thought it was a done deal.

• Thanks 2