2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't think a guy who is dominating at AA, and gets a start or two at the end of the season to see how he fares against MLB hitters should be called "Forcing him up the ladder".

That's not forcing him at all. He's ready for MLB, or almost ready, or nearly ready...

A couple starts at the very end of the season isn't "forcing" IMO, it's "exposure to a higher level" and exposure does not = forcing.

It would be if we brought him up in July.  Particularly considering he’s had injuries each of the last two years and hasn’t pitched that many innings in a season yet.  Adding him the the 40 man and calling him for a couple outings in September is different than calling him up now and leaning on him to cover for Mize/Olson for an unknown amount of starts and innings.

For reference, he has thrown 32 2/3 innings above A ball at this point.  

32 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, he sounds like a cancer. And I did mention that Avila was the one who gave him that contract. But wasn't he going to be a FA whether we traded him or not? If so, he would have gotten more money pitching for LA (a playoff team) if he did well. I do remember talk of not buying out his no trade clause. My only point I've been trying to make is that Harris knew about his contract for months. When talking multimillion dollar deals, terms need to be in writing. If ERod agreed to be traded, get his signature and leave no doubt about it. To say the whole mess is ERods fault says Harris is faultless. And, like I've been trying to say, the buck stops at the top.

This is pure ignorance. No one is signing anything, until it is done. You want to blame Harris, yet you got nothing. The agent was trying to squeeze the Dodgers, they wouldn’t meet the abrupt, last second demands, no blame for them?

13 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

It would be if we brought him up in July.  Particularly considering he’s had injuries each of the last two years and hasn’t pitched that many innings in a season yet.  Adding him the the 40 man and calling him for a couple outings in September is different than calling him up now and leaning on him to cover for Mize/Olson for an unknown amount of starts and innings.

For reference, he has thrown 32 2/3 innings above A ball at this point.  

With his injury history, he's probably on an innings limit this season. Probably be shut down by September. In other news, he was part of a combined no-hitter in his last start.

Just now, Longgone said:

This is pure ignorance. No one is signing anything, until it is done. You want to blame Harris, yet you got nothing. The agent was trying to squeeze the Dodgers, they wouldn’t meet the abrupt, last second demands, no blame for them?

Nope, it's already been determined that Harris is blameless. Talk about ignorant.

30 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Nope, it's already been determined that Harris is blameless. Talk about ignorant.

It’s okay, stick with your baseless agenda.

it’s fine to be critical of someone, but it’s better to deal in reality rather than just bitter venom.

Edited by Longgone

17 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Right..

But I didn't suggest that. I suggested he get a start or two in September after the AA season ends...

Yes, but that was after your suggestion  saying we bring up multiple minor league pitchers to fill in the Olson/Mize/Maeda gap instead of looking to acquire an SP.  

What minor leaguers are going to be added to the 40 man roster for that to happen?  And what actual talent is getting dumped for that to happen?

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I believe that we are not close enough to the playoffs this year to "needs SP".

I think even if we have to bandaid, bullpen day, or give a bunch of untested AAA kids some spot starts to see how they fare in MLB... that's what will happen this year.

I'm of the opinion that Harris doesn't think he "needs SP".

I don’t know.  I’m not sure any team can handle multiple bullpen days throughout a trip through the rotation for an extended period.  It seems like it’d be too taxing on the bullpen.

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If Harris accepted Spencer for Skubal he should be shot out of a cannon to manage an independent league team. 23 in AA striking out >30% of the time and no particular power? Really? He's basically Parker Meadows. I love Parker but I wouldn't trade Skubal for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If Harris accepted Spencer for Skubal he should be shot out of a cannon to manage an independent league team. 23 in AA striking out >30% of the time and no particular power? Really? He's basically Parker Meadows. I love Parker but I wouldn't trade Skubal for him.

Not sure I would even take him for Flaherty

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

When they say #1 prospect, do they mean in the Yankees organization or all of baseball?

5 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Yes, but that was after your suggestion saying we bring up multiple minor league pitchers to fill in the Olson/ Mize/ Maeda gap instead of looking to acquire an SP.  

What minor leaguers are going to be added to the 40 man roster for that to happen? ...

Right, but ummm, yeah....

Didn't I say AAA guys? Jobe is not in AAA.

And didn't you already make the point that Flores and Englert are already on the 40?

I don't think Harris is going to go out insisting that a SP needs to be added to a trade package because... simply, he's in some desperate spot where he MUST have a SP included in a trade package. I think that was your point, IIRC. Tell me if I'm wrong on that.

Which I believe is not correct. If he's trading Flaherty or Kelly or Skubal he's trading them for guys he likes, whether there is an MLB-ready SP in there or not. I don't believe you are correct that he will try to squeeze a SP in there simply based on need.

If he needs another SP, he will rely on the 40, or make a 40 move, or decide to NOT trade Flaherty or Skubal because he's deciding to hold onto his cards based on circumstance, OR he will trade Flaherty or Skubal because of a monster package being offered AND he will make a deadline trade for a cheap back-end guy.

Sorry, but I firmly believe he's not going to distort a trade package simply because of a perceived immediate need in the rotation.

And all I'm saying is that there are other ways of achieving that, without the distortion.

5 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Verlander came up for two starts as a 22 year oldin July of 2005

He turned out ok...I guess

I totally remember seeing that. It was a big deal because he was our #1 pitching prospect at the time.