2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Philly and NYY and LAD have been rumored to be interested in Flaherty. Possible bidding get nuts for him? I won't mention last year, but don't blow it (again) Harris!

We are not supposed to say that he he blew it.  There was nothing he could do about it.  🫢

• Haha 2

My guesses for who WILL be moved at the deadline would be Flaherty, Kelly, Urshela, Canha, and Foley.

Maybe's: Skubal. Maybe an OF'er if it augments a better return. And maybe another middle reliever, same.

I think Urshela and Canha will not get much. But a low-A lottery ticket for each of them also means one other thing: an open roster spot. I think Jung will get a chance in MLB after these moves, and maybe Vilade is back up in Detroit as well. They're pending FA's, so it almost doesn't matter what we get back. Sure, a couple lottery tickets. But I think the roster space is just as important.

Same with Kelly. Pending FA. A lottery ticket or two. And Dingler up in MLB.

Not to mention, these trades open up three 40-man spots.

I think there will be a pretty decent demand for Foley as a setup guy. And Harris can get a pretty decent return for him. IMO. Worth it to make the flip.

21 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Did you mean Urshela?

Urshela's a FA at the end of this year.

Ibanez... not. I don't see them trading Ibanez.

Nope, I don't think they find a taker for Urshela.

I suspect Ibanez' platoon vs LHP and salary are enticing as an acquisition.  And as far as his trade value, now is the time to move him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

I suspect Ibanez' platoon vs LHP and salary are enticing as an acquisition.  And as far as his trade value, now is the time to move him.

Agreed. He's also over 30 so not a core player.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

yep; Ibanez fits nicely on this team to complement Keith and Jung and fill in at 1B; but hard to see him doing any better than he is now; maybe you get a nice return for him, and see what Leonard can do

ESPN's take: 

Detroit Tigers: Subtracting, but not completely. For all the rightful attention lavished on Skubal, any hope of acquiring him would require the sort of overpay almost no one is willing to consider. Teams instead can turn to right-hander Jack Flaherty, the biggest snub of All-Star week. His excellence this season is beyond question, whether it's via ratios (11.5 strikeouts per nine and 1.5 walks per nine) or baserunners (one of nine starters allowing fewer than one per inning), and he would pencil into the playoff rotation of any team that adds him. The calculus with Flaherty is simple: The offer must be stronger than what the Tigers could get with a draft pick in the early 30s, which they'd get if Flaherty signs a large free agent deal as expected. (And the Tigers have drafted very well in recent years.) Like Flaherty, veteran Mark Canha is an impending free agent whose market is robust, and infielder Gio Urshela is a cheap break-glass-in-case-of-emergency option for contenders. The Tigers have taken steps forward this year -- since May 1, rookie Colt Keith is hitting .293/.345/.486 -- and a good deadline is the next order of business before loading up this winter to contend in a suddenly competitive AL Central.

Interesting that Canha has a robust market. He has been getting hot lately.

42 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yeah... I think the opposite.

Urshela moves, even for a cheap lottery ticket. He's a FA. No value in 2025.

And even though Ibanez is not any kind or core player... he's still useful. Even in 2025.

And I don't think we get anything better for Ibanez than we would for Urshela. A different lottery ticket maybe; but a lottery ticket nonetheless.

IMO: Urshela gets traded; Ibanez not.

2 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious on thought process. They traded more for 1 year of Burnes.... 

I probably should qualify that I’ve been watching the Hard Knocks: NY Giants that focuses solely on front office activities.  Their GM is very much a little bitch when it comes to these negotiating conversations.  That’s definitely in the back of my head.    

Harris strikes me as a guy more in tune with the scouting and development areas much more than the negotiations and bargaining side of the business.   That’s the part that my gut thinks he sucks at.  I’m not talking about the entire job as Pres/GM (at least not yet..).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Harris strikes me as a guy more in tune with the scouting and development areas much more than the negotiations and bargaining side of the business.   

Me as well.

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I probably should qualify that I’ve been watching the Hard Knocks: NY Giants that focuses solely on front office activities.  Their GM is very much a little bitch when it comes to these negotiating conversations.  That’s definitely in the back of my head.    

Harris strikes me as a guy more in tune with the scouting and development areas much more than the negotiations and bargaining side of the business.   That’s the part that my gut thinks he sucks at.  I’m not talking about the entire job as Pres/GM (at least not yet..).

Greenberg is the GM, not Harris. IDK what exact duties they each have, but it may well be Harris is not even the one negotiating the deals directly.

I’d be curious to hear what the trade market would be for Torkelson and Manning.  Obviously they’re not at high value, but still young with potential.  Maybe swapping them for players in a similar boat within their organizations that we identify a high ceiling for could be a shrewd move.

Otherwise do we just let them stall out and fade away?

22 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I’d be curious to hear what the trade market would be for Torkelson and Manning.  Obviously they’re not at high value, but still young with potential.  Maybe swapping them for players in a similar boat within their organizations that we identify a high ceiling for could be a shrewd move.

Otherwise do we just let them stall out and fade away?

wouldn't think that high. Other teams see the same problems we do

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

But they are STILL short a few prospects on the Tigers side, even if Holliday is a superior get. They are NOT trading Skubal and Foley 1-for-1, basically, a prospect each. I mean, seriously? Do you actually believe that?

I'm sorry but... not even close. Not happening.

I’m not commenting on the equity of the proposed deal. I am saying a prospect the caliber of Holliday (and there are very few) must be included and you can’t just substitute quantity.

3 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Agreed. He's also over 30 so not a core player.

He's old for the controlled salary scale that he is on.  He's under control through 2028.  I think there's a case to keeping him because he'll never be a big contract.  At the same time, a team like the Dodgers or Yankees with salary commitments out the whazooo might see the value in this lower end contract.

What did the Tigers draft, about 4 shortstops? Any internal option we have at SS is still 2 years away? If we want to compete next season, we desperately need a SS. And to DFA Javy. Are the Tigers willing to eat his contract? He's the worst hitter in all of baseball? Move on already, he can't be fixed. I would say SP and SS are the Tigers biggest needs.

17 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I’m not commenting on the equity of the proposed deal. I am saying a prospect the caliber of Holliday (and there are very few) must be included and you can’t just substitute quantity.

Yup.  Holliday is an everyday position player that just made his debut.  Skubal is a power pitcher with injuries on his resume and only under control for 2 seasons / 3 postseasons.  There's an argument that the quality of the players which tips in Skubal's favor but its offset by the remainder of controlled years.

Now, I don't want him dealt necessarily.  However, if Holliday is included as the main cog going back, then maybe other teams decide they really, really like Skubal and up the ante.  Maybe that occurs in the offseason.  Baltimore doesn't get the ring this postseason, Burnes leaves, and Skubal can backfill as that ace at the top of the rotation.  And then the bacchanal of trade offers can go from there.