2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Rays sign a released 30 year old relief pitcher half way through spring training and turn him into a BP asset, and then flip him for 3 prospects when they think the time is right. damn they are so good at what they do

So good they haven't won anything.

This place loves the Rays more than anything when really they've had no more success than us in the dombrowski days.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 1:03 PM, monkeytargets39 said:

Or ask them what the list of prospects they are willing to include in a deal for our player and then ask for someone outside of that list 

Actually, I’m not worried about getting fleeced by Tampa at all this year, because they are looking for the same things we are.

3 hours ago, KL2 said:

This place loves the Rays more than anything when really they've had no more success than us in the dombrowski days.

They have been to as many World Series this century as we have, and more recently to boot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

They have been to as many World Series this century as we have, and more recently to boot.

And have been competitive in a stronger division. They have consistency which is what I personally want. Well I want consistency being good rather than the consistency of being mediocre or bad.

They’ve continuously been highly competitive and have won their division multiple times in the last 15 years despite three of the other four teams always running huge payrolls.

We haven’t been very competitive in our division the last 10 years despite none of the other teams ever spending much.

Edited by monkeytargets39
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KL2 said:

They have been in the playoffs 9 times since 2006 which is pretty remarkable for a team which has one of the lowest payrolls in the game every year.  The Tigers have only been in the playoffs five times including the Dombrowski era when they usually had very high payrolls.  That tells us something about the Tampa Bay management skills which is what we are talking about when we praise them.  Would I want the Tigers to model themselvs after the Rays?  No, because the Rays are the only team that has been successful with that approach.  I am hoping they do some things similarly, but I am also hoping they eventually spend more money.   

Edited by Tiger337

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/isaac-paredes-670623?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Worth noting that aside from Paredes getting "expensive"(by Rays standards) another reason they may have traded him is that his statcast numbers suggest that he shouldn't be hitting nearly as well as he have.

Granted that isn't gospel as they said the same thing last year but when you make as weak of contact as he does sooner or later you have to think it will catch up to you. Also worth noting for the Cubs sake, Paredes has 16 HRs this year but only 10 of them would have been out at Wrigley Field so one of the things aiding his offensive numbers maybe negated or diminished at Wrigley further hurting his value. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

They have been in the playoffs 9 times since 2006 which is pretty remarkable for a team which has one of the lowest payrolls in the game every year.  The Tigers have only been in the playoffs five times including the Dombrowski era when they usually had very high payrolls.  That tells us something about the Tampa Bay management skills which is what we are talking about when we praise them.  Would I want the Tigers to model themselvs after the Rays?  No, because the Rays are the only team that has been successful with that approach.  I am hoping they do some things similarly, but I am also hoping they eventually spend more money.   

Cool. I'll give them a participation ribbon.

47 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Paredes has a significant home/road split since going to Tampa. He is the perfect fit for that stadium, which ironically Willy Adames hated (could not see the ball)

I bet Brent Clevlan would have loved it.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m guessing we’ll find out in a few minutes what we get in return. Also, welcome to Detroit, Dillon Dingler! 

sometimes things are so obvious they are easy. Now we just have to hope Dingler isn't on a once in a lifetime hot streak a la Brennan Boesch.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'd guess that since there wasn't a name both ways it's not a major leaguer, but that's just a spitball.

Kelly, traded to a team with a worse record than the Tigers. When is the last time the Tigers made a deadline deal that sent one of their players to a team with a worse record? 

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

sometimes things are so obvious they are easy. Now we just have to hope Dingler isn't on a once in a lifetime hot streak a la Brennan Boesch.

Curious if they found some type of adjustment to his swing that has resulted in the huge decrease in Ks. He had never had a K rate lower than 28.8% in AA or above, and was at 31.2% last year. It's incredibly rare to see a 10% reduction but he's managed a 20.3% rate over 301 PAs this year. And that is a large enough sample for a stat like K rate to stabilize somewhat.

Obviously expected it to go up, but you can at least see some hope for a K rate around 25%, whereas before you'd have to be drunk to expect him to manage a K rate under 30% against MLB pitching.

2 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Curious if they found some type of adjustment to his swing that has resulted in the huge decrease in Ks. He had never had a K rate lower than 28.8% in AA or above, and was at 31.2% last year. It's incredibly rare to see a 10% reduction but he's managed a 20.3% rate over 301 PAs this year. And that is a large enough sample for a stat like K rate to stabilize somewhat.

Obviously expected it to go up, but you can at least see some hope for a K rate around 25%, whereas before you'd have to be drunk to expect him to manage a K rate under 30% against MLB pitching.

Hitting is pretty mysterious. I don't know if anyone has a recipe for improving pitch recognition, but you can teach a guy to be quicker to ball so he has more time to decide, and that's easier with big athletic guys with the strength to shorten up and still do damage.