2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

Trivia question I just put on Twitter I'll repeat here:

Dillon Dingler will be the first Ohio State Buckeye to play for the Tigers since this player did so. Who is this player?

Hint: he is somewhat famous.

8 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Hmmm not what we were hopping for.

Nope but they had nothing invested in Kelly.   Catcher is an org weakness, clears a path for Dingler and Owen is 23 and could make the Tigers BP in a year.   

• Like 3

Hicks is already 25 years old.  Looks like a decent eye based on 143 BB vs 133 SO in MILB?  Not much power.  Lefty bat.

Owens has been a RP in MILB, so probably remains a RP, especially with the Stavenhagen comment above.

OK, they got a return for Kelly.  Might not seem like much, but he’s just a rental at this point.

6 minutes ago, syrett4 said:

Nope but they had nothing invested in Kelly.   Catcher is an org weakness, clears a path for Dingler and Owen is 23 and could make the Tigers BP in a year.   

That is a very weak return, very little upside, especially compared with what Boston gave up for Jansen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longgone said:

That is a very weak return, very little upside, especially compared with what Boston gave up for Jansen. 

This might need to be framed with the context of whatever other Cs get moved.

For whatever it matters, Toledo just finished up a home stand and travels to Indianapolis for its next series starting Tuesday night.  Travel to cover Detroit roster spots vacated via trade shouldn’t be an issue.

6 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Jansen is a better than Kelly.  Maybe not necessarily numbers wise this year but career wise.  Anyone hoping to get anything more than what we got was probably aiming too high.

Dingler has the ability to be better than both Kelly and Rogers.

Jansen was better than Kelly when Kelly was injured. He is not better than Kelly now. In any trade, try to get some upside, even if they are far away, not org fodder.

13 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

According to MILB he is heading to Erie.

IMG_3360.jpeg

He’s already had 660 PAs in AA Texas League.  Above average AVG/OBP but lower than average SLG for the league.  I don’t know.  On the surface a promotion to AAA to directly replace Dingler seems reasonable, but there’s probably some reasonable rationale to  it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Trivia question I just put on Twitter I'll repeat here:

Dillon Dingler will be the first Ohio State Buckeye to play for the Tigers since this player did so. Who is this player?

Hint: he is somewhat famous.

Is it Frank Howard?  I only know that he played there from going to OSU at the same time as Nick Swisher and Howard and Dave Burba being the only two names I had ever heard of on their list of pros at the stadium.  I was hoping the Tigers were going to draft Swisher back then. 

Burba, Howard, Swisher and now Dingler are the only 4 OSU players I can name that made it to the majors so if the answer is someone else than I’m curious how they’re famous.

Just now, casimir said:

He’s already had 660 PAs in AA Texas League.  Above average AVG/OBP but lower than average SLG for the league.  I don’t know.  On the surface a promotion to AAA to directly replace Dingler seems reasonable, but there’s probably some reasonable rationale to  it.

Benboom is 34, Scott is 27 - how serious can they be about either of them?

7 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Jansen was better than Kelly when Kelly was injured. He is not better than Kelly now. In any trade, try to get some upside, even if they are far away, not org fodder.

Fair, although outside of a bit of a hot streak for a few weeks this year, I haven’t been impressed with Kelly.

i trust Harris and Co on evaluating arms, so if they went after this AA reliever, I feel like they must think he can be elevated to something worthwhile.  The catcher we got just helps with Depth.  If the reliever can be serviceable by next year, that hopefully helps us move on from a few of the duds we have in the pen right now.

8 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Is it Frank Howard?  I only know that he played there from going to OSU at the same time as Nick Swisher and Howard and Dave Burba being the only two names I had ever heard of on their list of pros at the stadium.  I was hoping the Tigers were going to draft Swisher back then. 

Burba, Howard, Swisher and now Dingler are the only 4 OSU players I can name that made it to the majors so if the answer is someone else than I’m curious how they’re famous.

It was Howard. There was another guy I hadn't heard of on the 1973 team, but Howard played later.  Joe Sparma was also an Ohio State guy.

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

It was Howard. There was another guy I hadn't heard of on the 1973 team, but Howard played later.  Joe Sparma was also an Ohio State guy.

I remember Joe Sparma - another guy with a big fastball that never knew where it was going.

I believe Frank Howard was the 1st and for many years only RH hitter to clear the LF roof at Tiger Stadium.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Benboom is 34, Scott is 27 - how serious can they be about either of them?

Well, they’re probably just emergency 3rd Cs at this point.  I understand not adding Hicks to the 40 yet if he doesn’t need to be.  I guess there’s still plenty of time for him to move up to Toledo.