2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

I think the factthat we got two FG numbered prospects for Kelly is pretty impressive. Of course, they both have significant holes in their game right now so there’s no guarantee either is going to make an impact for us. At least trading him didn’t bork us completely at catcher. I give Harris a shoot-from-the-hip grade of B for the move. 

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I remember Joe Sparma - another guy with a big fastball that never knew where it was going.

I believe Frank Howard was the 1st and for many years only RH hitter to clear the LF roof at Tiger Stadium.

I had a boss in the 80s who was from Massillon, Ohio and said Joe Sparma was his uncle, and I have no reason to not believe him. 

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I remember Joe Sparma - another guy with a big fastball that never knew where it was going.

I believe Frank Howard was the 1st and for many years only RH hitter to clear the LF roof at Tiger Stadium.

He was the first, but not the only.

EDIT: Killebrew was the first

• Thanks 1

Just now, Arlington said:

Hicks to Erie. Who is being promoted to replace Dingler?

Stephen Scott is on the Toledo roster listed as a catcher but he's only caught two games - he's been in LF recently. But it's hard to believe they are very serious about him at C since they've been mostly been putting  the 34 yr old Benboom  at C when Dingler sat.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think that we got two FG numbered prospects for Kelly is pretty impressive. We f course, they both have significant holes in the game right now so there’s no guarantee either is going to make an impact for us. At least trading him didn’t bork us completely at catcher. I give Harris a shoot-from-the-hip grade of B for the move. 

I’ll give him a C; A for acquiring and fixing him, F for the return he got flipping him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

a powerless 5-9 C/1B/DH?

I guess a power arm always has a chance to contribute.

ehh, would think Kelly as a sweetener would offer more than this.

but something is better than nothing.

That's the Dave Dombrowski power arm poor command AA reliever acquisition.  

Edited by Tiger337

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Just making room for Dingler. Addition by subtraction?

The whole raison d’etre for rehabbing these veteran players and flipping them at the deadline is to add to your pipeline. This failed to achieve that. The accomplishment of restoring him to a valuable asset was wasted.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am not seeing anything exciting about either Hicks or Owens.  

Carson Kelly wasn’t going to get us anything “exciting”. He wasn’t even named as one of MLBTR’s top 50 trade candidates back on July 11. I acknowledge that you and I are going to die soon and we want to see a winner before we go, but we can’t take leave of our faculties what it comes assessing what kinds of returns we should expect to see in these trades. 😉

2 minutes ago, Longgone said:

The whole raison d’etre for rehabbing these veteran players and flipping them at the deadline is to add to your pipeline. This failed to achieve that. The accomplishment of restoring him to a valuable asset was wasted.

Yeah because a hard throwing 23 year old at AA will never make the Tigers bullpen.   It also cleared a path for Dingler and replaced a position of need in the organization (catcher).    Creating a good farm system is more like smoking ribs for 3 days, not a 15 minute frozen pizza. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, syrett4 said:

Yeah because a hard throwing 23 year old at AA will never make the Tigers bullpen.   It also cleared a path for Dingler and replaced a position of need in the organization (catcher).    Creating a good farm system is more like smoking ribs for 3 days, not a 15 minute frozen pizza. 

Not sure what your point is, they added very little value to the farm system, and you don’t, ideally, flip assets simply to create space. I surely didn’t expect any kind of haul for Kelly, but I did expect a little more upside, not basically organizational filler.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Carson Kelly wasn’t going to get us anything “exciting”. He wasn’t even named as one of MLBTR’s top 50 trade candidates back on July 11. I acknowledge that you and I are going to die soon and we want to see a winner before we go, but we can’t take leave of our faculties what it comes assessing what kinds of returns we should expect to see in these trades. 😉

I wasn't expecting  a top prospect.  I thought they might at least get a an A+ level starter that the Tigers could fix.  Instead they got a reliever with a medioce k rate and a 25 year old catcher with no power.  

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I wasn't expecting  a top prospect.  I thought they might at least get a an A+ level starter that the Tigers could fix.  Instead they got a reliever with a medioce k rate and a 25 year old catcher with no power.  

My guess is there wasn't a line of teams banging down the door for a backup catcher for their playoff push.  Tigers got him for nothing and then got something for him.  Can't play teams against each other when there is only one that wants to Tango. 

5 minutes ago, syrett4 said:

My guess is there wasn't a line of teams banging down the door for a backup catcher for their playoff push.  Tigers got him for nothing and then got something for him.  Can't play teams against each other when there is only one that wants to Tango. 

Toronto managed it just fine.

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

For the record, I’d rather have Jansen than Kelly.

We weren’t going to trade for Jansen.

Hicks has a hit tool that could get him to the majors for a few years. Owens has a plus fastball that tops out at 99 who could be a useful piece if we can develop a second pitch for him. These guys are a decent get for someone we were going to lose for nothing at the end of the season anyway. If this turns out to be their best trade of the deadline, then I’ll be disappointed.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We weren’t going to trade for Jansen.

Hicks has a hit tool that could get him to the majors for a few years. Owens has a plus fastball that tops out at 99 who could be a useful piece if we can develop a second pitch for him. These guys are a decent get for someone we were going to lose for nothing at the end of the season anyway. If this turns out to be their best trade of the deadline, then I’ll be disappointed.

Harris can pick up guys like that off the waiver wire, something he has been good at.