2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

how dare we trade a 30 year old back up catcher for less than two top ten prospects?

our gm is teh stupidest.

He's smart. I wasn't expecting a top 10 prospect, just somebody beter than a typical Harris waiver pick.  I don't really care  though.  Nothing about a Carson Kelly trade is worth getting upset about.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Harris can pick up guys like that off the waiver wire, something he has been good at.  

Harris sees something in these two particular guys. I’m going to give him a fair chance to show and prove before I pummel him. I ain’t seen him **** up a deal real bad yet.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Longgone said:

The whole raison d’etre for rehabbing these veteran players and flipping them at the deadline is to add to your pipeline. This failed to achieve that. The accomplishment of restoring him to a valuable asset was wasted.

I doubt that was on Harris' mind back in August when he signed Kelly.  Harris was seeking a path to the playoffs, and he needed a backup catcher until Dingler.  Kelly did the job.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He's smart. I wasn't expecting a top 10 prospect, just somebody beter than a typical Harris waiver pick.  I don't really care  though.  Nothing about a Carson Kelly trade is worth getting upset about.  

Yea, it's a bit like a 26th man argument.  Most important news is Dingler

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Harris sees something in these two particular guys. I’m going to give him a fair chance to show and prove before I pummel him. I ain’t seen him **** up a deal real bad yet.

I am not pummelling him.  There is only deal he may have ****ed up but we aren't allowed to talk about that here.  😄

Edited by Tiger337

ironically, Dingler's run only reduced the Tigers leverage in moving Kelly because every trade partner knew that Dingler was ready for a shot and the Tigers would have to move a catcher. I guess as a general principal, I'd rather see a single player that represents the full value of the trade come back rather than two half value pieces. I'm always more interested in ceilings than numbers of players or filling system gaps. The object of a farm system is not to win MiLB games, it's to produce just a couple of bona fide major leaguers each year. I want quality over quantity every day in every way.

6 minutes ago, Arlington said:

Yea, it's a bit like a 26th man argument.  Most important news is Dingler

It does seem like the stars are lining up for Dingler to get hot at the deadline, doesn’t it?

TBF, the guy isn’t chopped liver. He was part of one of the best catching tandems in the game. He’s already got 1.7 WAR by Fangraphs (1.0 by Reference). And he’s probably going to cost something like eight million next year so the Rangers are probably just renting him. Kelly is good right now, as good as he’s ever been (which had been twice before). That’s all the Rangers or any other team would want from him.

4 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Curious if Dingler will transition quickly to the bigs or not.  Seems to take him at least a half season to get going offensively at each level jump.  Hinch needs to play him 2/3 of the time over Rogers the rest of the year.

It took Keith a month to get his feet on the ground and I don't think anyone thinks Dingler is likely his equal with a bat. Plus as noted as catcher he won't get the opportunity to play every day. I'd love to see him get >50% of the catching starts also but AJ is gonna AJ - it will be 50%

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

It took Keith a month to get his feet on the ground and I don't think anyone thinks Dingler is likely his equal with a bat. Plus as a catcher he won't get the opportunity to play every day.

I definitely expect Dingler to struggle a bit with the adjustment….we just need to commit to giving him the reps.  

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If Flaherty isn't dealt by gametime tomorrow, still start him? Risk injury? What time Tuesday is the deadline? 6 PM EST?

Yeah there is no way I let him take the mound tomorrow.  

Some thoughts on the trade :

Two rule 5 guys next year that might be hard to protect. 

I thought he might be traded in tandem with Jack since he caught all his games   

Hard to trade catchers mid season since they are unfamiliar with the team’s pitching. 

Owen’s throws hard so that’s the one thing you can’t teach and Hicks bats lefty which is rare and plays some first base so a possible third catcher scenario. 

Harris took a throw away catcher and the team turned him into a decent backstop which players and draftees notice. He performed well for us and we got two potential players, granted not likely, so that’s a success in my book 

Jansen is a way better catcher than Kelly. He had underperformed and some might say Kelly has over performed. The Redsox know Jansen well and he has a much higher chance of impacting the race for Boston than Kelly had for Texas. 

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I expect Dingler to struggle a lot initially.  He has shown enough where I want to see what he can do in the Majors now, but I am not expecting him to have a better career than Rogers.  

I would guess Dingler will catch or DH most games. Can't let his development stall by sitting on the bench. He'll be our catcher of the future, if he can have some success. And I'm sure he'll be given a long leash. I look at this trade more like Kelly for Dingler, since this is how it will impact the team.

I know nothing about these minor league players, but from what I've read here, I like the deal...keeping in mind the Tigers renewed focus on both development and utilizing a player's strength.

This new catcher is left handed and has a good eye at the plate. If they can develop his receiving skills to be average or above (which they have show they can do with Kelly), then they might have the perfect back up catcher in a couple of years...one who can let Dinger sit against tough right handed pitchers and can be used as a lefty pinch hitter on his off days. That seems like it could be a pretty valuable piece possibly ready in (what I hope to be) our window of contention.

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Some thoughts on the trade :

Two rule 5 guys next year that might be hard to protect. 

I thought he might be traded in tandem with Jack since he caught all his games   

Hard to trade catchers mid season since they are unfamiliar with the team’s pitching. 

Owen’s throws hard so that’s the one thing you can’t teach and Hicks bats lefty which is rare and plays some first base so a possible third catcher scenario. 

Harris took a throw away catcher and the team turned him into a decent backstop which players and draftees notice. He performed well for us and we got two potential players, granted not likely, so that’s a success in my book 

Jansen is a way better catcher than Kelly. He had underperformed and some might say Kelly has over performed. The Redsox know Jansen well and he has a much higher chance of impacting the race for Boston than Kelly had for Texas. 

Jansen is not “way better” than Kelly, offensively or defensively, so just stop with that. Kelly was inhibited in the past by his injuries, but he is at least as good, right now, as Jansen.

And while I would never say any kid can’t make it, they all have a shot if they keep developing, this was a poor return and I would prefer they acquire players with more developmental upside.

8 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

If Flaherty isn't dealt by gametime tomorrow, still start him? Risk injury? What time Tuesday is the deadline? 6 PM EST?

Flaherty is the next man up, so I don’t see why he wouldn’t start. If a deal gets finalized mid-batter, though, he’s coming out.

8 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I am not pummelling him.  There is only deal he may have ****ed up but we aren't allowed to talk about that here.  😄

Plenty of room on that Phillies bandwagon! All you gotta do is get that battery-flinging wing in shape!

8 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Curious if Dingler will transition quickly to the bigs or not.  Seems to take him at least a half season to get going offensively at each level jump.  Hinch needs to play him 2/3 of the time over Rogers the rest of the year.

Well, might as well let that half a season be now. 

8 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I would guess Dingler will catch or DH most games. Can't let his development stall by sitting on the bench. He'll be our catcher of the future, if he can have some success. And I'm sure he'll be given a long leash. I look at this trade more like Kelly for Dingler, since this is how it will impact the team.

It is one hundred percent certain Dingler will start tonight.