2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Flaherty is the next man up, so I don’t see why he wouldn’t start. If a deal gets finalized mid-batter, though, he’s coming out.

I don’t see Flaherty even being on a bullpen mound in a Tigers uniform again. I’m realistically confident Harris has something in the works regarding a trade involving Flaherty. I would have to believe any team involved in a conversation involving a trade for Flaherty would ask that Flaherty not be used prior to a potential trade at this point. The risk to the potential trade isn’t worth taking. 

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It is one hundred percent certain Dingler will start tonight.

Yesterday was a day game, tonight is a night game, tomorrow is a day game.  So, One of Rogers/Dingler starts tonight, the other starts tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

With Flaherty............hold firm.   Don't just take a body.   Take a player you actually want.   If the other teams don't offer it - just keep him.   Don't set that precedent of desperation that Avila did.  No one will ever give you a fair offer again.    

We have an advantage with Jack because even if we keep him now and lose him this winter, we will do no worse than a 30-something overall pick next June. That gives us leverage in phone calls.

The pitching staff could be interesting the next two games.  Flaherty is scheduled tonight.  TBD is scheduled tomorrow.  Bullpen game yesterday.  Flaherty is likely to be moved, so who knows if he pitches tonight.  A relief pitcher or two could be moved.

At some point they're going to need to find another SP or two to cover some innings.  Otherwise the bullpen is going to be worn down sooner than later.

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yesterday was a day game, tonight is a night game, tomorrow is a day game.  So, One of Rogers/Dingler starts tonight, the other starts tomorrow.

Dingler sat for the Hens yesterday, and Rogers caught for us.

I wish we could just work out an extension with him. I know given his history and pitchers in general it's a risk but I think it's one worth taking.

Its mainly a gut feeling but he just strikes me as a pitcher who barring injury is going to age well and be effective for the next several years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wish we could just work out an extension with him. I know given his history and pitchers in general it's a risk but I think it's one worth taking.

It’s mainly a gut feeling but he just strikes me as a pitcher who barring injury is going to age well and be effective for the next several years. 

I think we might if we could do it for 2+2 or something like that.

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Its mainly a gut feeling but he just strikes me as a pitcher who barring injury is going to age well and be effective for the next several years. 

My impression is that he has meshed well with the personnel on this team, from the staff down. The Tigers just don’t have a lot in the system to backfill for lost pitching. The Tigers have had Flaherty since spring training and seem to be happy with him. I’d really like to see him stay. Without Skubal’s incredible year, Flaherty would be the clear ace on this team.

46 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I don’t see Flaherty even being on a bullpen mound in a Tigers uniform again. I’m realistically confident Harris has something in the works regarding a trade involving Flaherty. I would have to believe any team involved in a conversation involving a trade for Flaherty would ask that Flaherty not be used prior to a potential trade at this point. The risk to the potential trade isn’t worth taking. 

I agree with this.   It's strange he was seen giving out hugs in the dugout on Saturday and is still a Tiger.   Trying to read the tea leaves, I wonder if a deal was in the works and then another team called and upped their offer and there really is some type of bidding war/negotiations going on.   This is the ideal scenario if it is playing out that way. 

Edited by syrett4

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Plenty of room on that Phillies bandwagon! All you gotta do is get that battery-flinging wing in shape!

Not sure why I would stop rooting for the Tigers after 57 years especially when they didn't have good teams for the majority of those years and now seem to be headed in a positive direction.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I hope we trade him then re-sign him in the off season. That'd be ideal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If he’s injured, he’s likely not getting traded

I think Sports Freak’s intent was to hold a player back to avoid an injury before it happens. He can correct me if I misstated his point. At least that was my take.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Not sure why I would stop rooting for the Tigers after 57 years especially when they didn't have good teams for the majority of those years and now seem to be headed in a positive direction.  

So fun that you took me seriously! 😝

46 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I've seen players, especially pitchers, held back in case of injuries. 

I don't know who else we pitch tonight, then, because Skubal is not ready yet, Montero started just two days ago, and we had bullpen games yesterday and this past Thursday, so Flaherty is the next man up.

If it's not Flaherty, then wouldn't we have to make a roster move to get someone up from Toledo by 6:40pm? I mean, maybe we do make a roster move to keep Flaherty on the high shelf so no one can reach up and break him, but my gut says we won't do that. I don't think we call up someone until Flaherty is gone, or at least certain to be, and I would bet he doesn't move until tomorrow.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, casimir said:

The pitching staff could be interesting the next two games.  Flaherty is scheduled tonight.  TBD is scheduled tomorrow.  Bullpen game yesterday.  Flaherty is likely to be moved, so who knows if he pitches tonight.  A relief pitcher or two could be moved.

At some point they're going to need to find another SP or two to cover some innings.  Otherwise the bullpen is going to be worn down sooner than later.

At this point you’d think they’d be trying to stretch out Faedo or Brieske.

and to be fair, Maeda looked quite a bit better yesterday so if we “throw in the towel” and trade Flaherty, just slot Maeda back in at least until we get Mize and/or Olson back.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't know who else we pitch tonight, then, because Skubal is not ready yet, Montero started just two days ago, and we had bullpen games yesterday and this past Thursday, so Flaherty is the next man up.  I

If it's not Flaherty, then wouldn't we have to make a roster move to get someone up from Toledo by 6:40pm? I mean, maybe we do make a roster move to keep Flaherty on the high shelf so no one can reach up and break him, but my gut says we won't do that. I don't think we call up someone until Flaherty is gone, or at least certain to be, and I would bet he doesn't move until tomorrow.

The Tigers have the qualifying offer compensation in the back pocket.  Unless Flaherty suffers a career ending injury tonight, then pitching him shouldn't be a big deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, monkeytargets39 said:

At this point you’d think they’d be trying to stretch out Faedo or Brieske.

and to be fair, Maeda looked quite a bit better yesterday so if we “throw in the towel” and trade Flaherty, just slot Maeda back in at least until we get Mize and/or Olson back.

Well, Faedo went 30 pitches yesterday.  Hinch mentioned that the plan was to get 3 innings out of him and Lucas.  That hardly seems like stretching out.  In fairness, I don't recall when his previous outing was or what his usage was.  It was probably the last bullpen game a few days previous.

So, OK, stretch out Faedo or Brieske, reinsert Maedo into the rotation.  Those are options that you hope to get 5 innings out of.  This bullpen is going to be taxed.