2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Well, Faedo went 30 pitches yesterday.  Hinch mentioned that the plan was to get 3 innings out of him and Lucas.  That hardly seems like stretching out.  In fairness, I don't recall when his previous outing was or what his usage was.  It was probably the last bullpen game a few days previous.

So, OK, stretch out Faedo or Brieske, reinsert Maedo into the rotation.  Those are options that you hope to get 5 innings out of.  This bullpen is going to be taxed.

It’s not ideal at all, but there isn’t much left as far as options without an acquisition.  Might as well actually plan for two of them to be starters so you can try to get some semblance of a workload balance for the rest of the pen.  Maybe use Holton instead of Faedo because he’s actually effective.

42 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I think Sports Freak’s intent was to hold a player back to avoid an injury before it happens. He can correct me if I misstated his point. At least that was my take.

Yeah, this. I thought it was obvious, but I guess not. I hope he starts and wins. And I really don't want him moved. And I trust Harris much more than Avila. But please, don't trade Skubal!

21 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

It’s not ideal at all, but there isn’t much left as far as options without an acquisition.  Might as well actually plan for two of them to be starters so you can try to get some semblance of a workload balance for the rest of the pen.  Maybe use Holton instead of Faedo because he’s actually effective.

It's hard to stretch pitchers out at the ML level. Many times, velocity is lost. But a couple of these guys were starters in their past, so there's that...

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

If you trade Skubal and Flaherty, you’re basically surrendering the rest of the season and cobbling together a rotation of our AAA guys, injured starters returning and any MLB ready players via trades.

And who would be our ace? Montero? Olson, when (if?) he returns? Keep Skubal!

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Dingler's defense and framing is more important than his offense right now.

No one is going to be able to frame the sow's ear of a pitching staff left after Flaherty and Skubal are gone into anything other than.....a lot of losses.

• Like 1

I hate to say it but I’m starting to think we are going to end up being disappointed with the deadline moves.  Not that they will singularly be bad, but that Skubal will stay and the returns we get on anyone else that’s dealt won’t be franchise altering.  Or at least not anyone ready to make an immediate impact until mid-next year at the earliest.

Then we will still go into next year with 1-2 questionable spots in the rotation, plus Baez still the every day SS, Tork being given another shot at everyday 1B, some sort of Jace Jung platoon at 3B, and too many LH outfielders.

9 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I hate to say it but I’m starting to think we are going to end up being disappointed with the deadline moves.  Not that they will singularly be bad, but that Skubal will stay and the returns we get on anyone else that’s dealt won’t be franchise altering.  Or at least not anyone ready to make an immediate impact until mid-next year at the earliest.

Then we will still go into next year with 1-2 questionable spots in the rotation, plus Baez still the every day SS, Tork being given another shot at everyday 1B, some sort of Jace Jung platoon at 3B, and too many LH outfielders.

That's what the money is for.  Scott Harris is paid handsomely to figure this out. No excuses.

10 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

This is what I expect too.  

2 month rentals rarely - if ever - net a franchise altering return

they do often net a quality player/prospect that can contribute to the major league team eventually

Lee was a solid get, and he looks even more solid as the season progresses

looking for the same but hopefully a bit more for Flaherty

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

2 month rentals rarely - if ever - net a franchise altering return

they do often net a quality player/prospect that can contribute to the major league team eventually

Lee was a solid get, and he looks even more solid as the season progresses

looking for the same but hopefully a bit more for Flaherty

Big difference from Lorenzen and Flaherty though. Flaherty will bet a pick near #35 in the draft. Lorenzen wouldn't of..... 

If we don't get at least a first round grade talent, we keep Flaherty. The return should be better than Hao-Yu.... Dalton Rushing for Flaherty is a good comparison.... 

• Like 1