2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

need innings at Det and Tol

Fastball Curveball Command Sits/Tops
60/60 45/60 35/40 89-93 / 98

Vanasco has had injuries and velocity fluctuations several times since his 2019 breakout. At times he was working with three plus pitches, while at others he was laboring in the low-90s, and this track record, plus Vanasco’s violent mechanics, prompted relief projection. The Rangers never really gave him a shot to perform in that role under their org umbrella, and after two rough starts in 2023, he was DFA’d and traded to the Dodgers for young lefty Luis Valdez. The Dodgers essentially shut Vanasco down to rework his mechanics on the complex. He re-emerged as a single-inning reliever during the second half of 2023 and seemingly scrapped his changeup. He sat 94-96 with a more consistent breaking ball. He utilizes a vertically oriented attack with gut-high fastballs and downer breaking balls. Vanasco can dump a curveball-shaped pitch into the zone for strikes or elicit chase with something more slider-y, but both pitches are in the 83-86 mph range and have mostly vertical movement. Vanasco came out in the spring of 2024 once again sitting in that range during Cactus League action, again seemingly without a changeup. He has the stuff of a solid middle reliever.

7 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Honestly,  that's the kind of return I'd need to move Skubal. If it's delusional, then I'm happy to keep him.

Realistically, I’d be happy with something like this:

-Holliday

-Norby

-Kjerstad

-Povich

for Skubal and Chafin, if required to sweeten the pot.

Will someone run this by Greg and the Orioles message board for review and approval?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Big difference from Lorenzen and Flaherty though. Flaherty will bet a pick near #35 in the draft. Lorenzen wouldn't of..... 

If we don't get at least a first round grade talent, we keep Flaherty. The return should be better than Hao-Yu.... Dalton Rushing for Flaherty is a good comparison.... 

correct. I actually think Harris would be happy with the pick and the money that comes with it. they could have 4 of the top 50 picks in 2025.

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Realistically, I’d be happy with something like this:

-Holliday

-Norby

-Kjerstad

-Povich

for Skubal and Chafin, if required to sweeten the pot.

Will someone run this by Greg and the Orioles message board for review and approval?

Not sure Detroit would be all that interested in Kjerstad or Norby, kind of redundant to Greene/ Carpenter and Jung/ Keith.

6 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Not sure Detroit would be all that interested in Kjerstad or Norby, kind of redundant to Greene/ Carpenter and Jung/ Keith.

I’d do that deal if we quickly followed it up with another deal where we dealt out of those log jams (example: trading Jung/Meadows/Lee) and added some legitimate MLB caliber pitching.  Highly doubt that would be the strategy though.

That being said, If Skubal is dealt it needs to be for exactly what we want and need in return-  not something that we have to make a bunch of other moves to maximize.

Skubal will not be traded because only Jackson Holiday makes sense for us and Elias won't trade the number 1 rated prospect so it's stand off I believe. 

If Flathtery stays we might extend him. His quote "I have loved every second here" means he's open I think. Not Sure Harris is ready to pull off a $100 million plus deal yet though. It's safer to get the draft pick which Harris/Staff seem quite good at drafting.

Probably crickets. 

4 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Skubal will not be traded because only Jackson Holiday makes sense for us and Elias won't trade the number 1 rated prospect so it's stand off I believe. 

If Flathtery stays we might extend him. His quote "I have loved every second here" means he's open I think. Not Sure Harris is ready to pull off a $100 million plus deal yet though. It's safer to get the draft pick which Harris/Staff seem quite good at drafting.

Probably crickets. 

not sure about a guy long term with chronic back issues

I don’t think the decision is on Harris.  It’s on the other GM’s.  Are they willing to go all in on this season to get to the Series?  If so, they will come back to the table with more than what they are offering now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think the decision is on Harris.  It’s on the other GM’s.  Are they willing to go all in on this season to get to the Series?  If so, they will come back to the table with more than what they are offering now.

I agree.  Set the price and don’t budge.  If we keep him then we keep him and will be happy to do so.  Honestly, same goes for Flaherty.

Don’t Avila up the situation.

I say get whatever you can get for Canha and Urshela though.

Edited by monkeytargets39

I still think Foley is a closer being misused by Hinch.  I wonder if any other teams covet him.  I’m not sure the return will be great but certainly can bring back another lottery ticket or two.  

"League sources told The Athletic that the Padres have spoken with the Detroit Tigers about rental starter Jack Flaherty, among other potential targets. San Diego has at least checked in with the San Francisco Giants about former Padres lefty Blake Snell, as the New York Post reported. Adam’s modest $2.7 million salary and the fact that Darvish does not need to be paid while on the restricted list could help the Padres acquire more pitching while staying under the luxury-tax threshold.

Whether Preller has enough prospect capital left to land another impact pitcher or two remains to be seen. With limited star talent available, Ethan Salas and Leodalis De Vries could be off-limits."

I guess I would take Snelling or Mazur off their hands but that farm system has been pillaged.

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I still think Foley is a closer being misused by Hinch.  I wonder if any other teams covet him.  I’m not sure the return will be great but certainly can bring back another lottery ticket or two.  

Honestly, Foley, Miller, and Chafin should all be on the table based on the returns relievers are getting this year. Both Chafin and Miller have club options so the team could make it a 2 year deal if they wanted. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Honestly, Foley, Miller, and Chafin should all be on the table based on the returns relievers are getting this year. Both Chafin and Miller have club options so the team could make it a 2 year deal if they wanted. 

Chafin might be hard to move outside of Chicago or Ohio as he already bombed once when he was traded away from home.

8 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I read somewhere (that I can’t find now) that there were teams interested in Foley.  I think Foley would be a big bonus for a team with a HR friendly park.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Chafin might be hard to move outside of Chicago or Ohio as he already bombed once when he was traded away from home.

Chafin for Paredes.  We get our third baseman back, they get their modern era guy who looks like Rod Beck.  Win-Win.

30 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

IDK, he got his shot, had his problems. You normally can't tolerate a 1.43 WHIP in a closer. His hits and walks are up, his K's are down. If you look at his fangraphs charts his velo has fallen off since early this season/last season so that probably explains the results, so the question is why?

And unfortunately, the velo drop is going to have trade partners leery also.

Edited by gehringer_2