2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The people who mock free talent pickups on Twitter are the worst, and show they know nothing about baseball.

Ok, we heard you.  Btw, what are free talent pickups—Waiver/dumpster-diving guys?  I’m all in favor—they are worth it for the few times you hit (I.e., Ibanez, Holton). I especially like it with pitchers, because they can be Fetter-ized.

• Haha 1

I think when people are refreshing Twitter all day to see a Flaherty (or a long shot Skubal) trade and they see a Ricky Vanasco trade, you can expect some sacastic posts. It's probably more humor than criticism.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Ok, we heard you.  Btw, what are free talent pickups—Waiver/dumpster-diving guys?  I’m all in favor—they are worth it for the few times you hit (I.e., Ibanez, Holton). I especially like it with pitchers, because they can be Fetter-ized.

The glitch lately on here has been brutal.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, he got his shot, had his problems. You normally can't tolerate a 1.43 WHIP in a closer. His hits and walks are up, his K's are down. If you look at his fangraphs charts his velo has fallen off since early this season/last season so that probably explains the results, so the question is why?

And unfortunately, the velo drop is going to have trade partners leery also.

There may be a bit of an arm issue or something of substance with the velo drop.  Although,  I was surprised that he was hitting triple digits at the start of the year.  I didn’t think he had that in him.  As for the walks,  BB are what separate good relievers with excellent stuff from bad relievers with excellent stuff.   True killer to any success.  I’d like to think that his random usage without a set role played into some of that struggle.   

1 hour ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Chafin for Paredes.  We get our third baseman back, they get their modern era guy who looks like Rod Beck.  Win-Win.

Cubs traded away their 3B to get Paredes, so this idea is dead in the crib, I believe.

31 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The glitch lately on here has been brutal.

When you post from iOS and you see nothing happen, simply refresh the page rather than posting again. Either you will see your post up, or you will see your content in the box.

• Thanks 1

Kreidler at Comerica?

Javy/Flaherty to Dodgers for 3 lottery tickets?  Then Tigers can accept Holiday Mayo and lottery ticket for skubs?  

There are a lot of moving parts to this Tiger team right now. 

1 minute ago, syrett4 said:

Kreidler at Comerica?

Javy/Flaherty to Dodgers for 3 lottery tickets?  Then Tigers can accept Holiday Mayo and lottery ticket for skubs?  

Nope apparently Javy is on medical/bereavement

4 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

It’s not ideal at all, but there isn’t much left as far as options without an acquisition.  Might as well actually plan for two of them to be starters so you can try to get some semblance of a workload balance for the rest of the pen.  Maybe use Holton instead of Faedo because he’s actually effective.

Holton seems to struggle with the opener role this season.  Small sample size of course, but its something that has stick out to me.

image.png.692a270f1ad38b4e9de950452a7ab6ad.png

1 minute ago, syrett4 said:

Kreidler at Comerica?

Could also just mean Urshela is dealt…

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

Not sure Detroit would be all that interested in Kjerstad or Norby, kind of redundant to Greene/ Carpenter and Jung/ Keith.

Redundancies can be moved to help address deficiencies.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Holton seems to struggle with the opener role this season.  Small sample size of course, but its something that has stick out to me.

could be AJ is putting him into best spots as reliever, where as Opener, opposing team gets to plan for him?

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, he got his shot, had his problems. You normally can't tolerate a 1.43 WHIP in a closer. His hits and walks are up, his K's are down. If you look at his fangraphs charts his velo has fallen off since early this season/last season so that probably explains the results, so the question is why?

And unfortunately, the velo drop is going to have trade partners leery also.

Along those lines, maybe he's hurt?

I still adhere to the reliever's job is pretty much to get outs theory.  Warm up when the phone rings and you're asked to, get outs when you're called into the game.