2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

Just now, RatkoVarda said:

could be AJ is putting him into best spots as reliever, where as Opener, opposing team gets to plan for him?

Possibly, and again, small sample size at play there.  It sticks in my head because (1) its useless information in the grand scheme of life and (2) Holton to the rotation has been mentioned by some over the past season and a half.

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

could be AJ is putting him into best spots as reliever, where as Opener, opposing team gets to plan for him?

He did well as the opener vs Cleveland twice, but the top of their lineup is lefty heavy….so yeah to your point.   More of a matchup guy than a bulk innings guy generally speaking .

i wouldn’t want him in a rotation long term, but i trust him a lot more than Faedo/Wentz/Brieske to be a fill in.

Edited by monkeytargets39

Via Ken Rosenthal:

And Tarik Skubal, you ask?

“They ain’t trading him,” one rival executive said of the Tigers.

“No chance they move him,” said another.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Javy on bereavement list

You just scooped all of the beat writers who weren’t sure why Kreidler’s at the park.

You better get attribution when they clarify why he’s up-first reported by RatkoVarda 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Breathe easier … 

This is clickbait.    

This was always going to be a deal only done on a best and final offer basis probably close to the deadline after a down to the wire game of chicken.  Either someone will finally give in to the Tigers huge demands or it will end with both sides bailing out to safety.   

38 minutes ago, chasfh said:

When you post from iOS and you see nothing happen, simply refresh the page rather than posting again. Either you will see your post up, or you will see your content in the box.

Twitter won't work with my Android phone at all when it's plugged in and charging. It just won't load any tweets or let me post anything. I have to unplug it and reboot. It's a Galaxy S23 Ultra too, a quality phone. (Or...used to be..lol)

13 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This is clickbait.    

This was always going to be a deal only done on a best and final offer basis probably close to the deadline after a down to the wire game of chicken.  Either someone will finally give in to the Tigers huge demands or it will end with both sides bailing out to safety.   

There's always next season, less value. Or 2026, even less value. Or any of the off-seasons. If he were to win the Cy Young this year, we may get very good value this winter...

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I get the feeling that Flaherty isn't going anywhere until tomorrow. There seems to be a bit of a bidding war so I suspect Harris is holding out for the best offer as teams get more and more desparate.

That's the vibe I'm getting too.   Twitterverse has Dodgers, Padres, Houston, Cleveland, Yankees, Mets and I even saw a Boston post.   Scott Harris and Greenberg are truly trying to get the best deal possible.  It will be interesting to see what unfolds. 

10 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I get the feeling that Flaherty isn't going anywhere until tomorrow. There seems to be a bit of a bidding war so I suspect Harris is holding out for the best offer as teams get more and more desparate.

I would hope so!

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I would hope so!

Sometimes the best move is to make the deal like a month early. That way you're not confused by a bunch of offers at the last minute and only have to deal with one team.

11 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I don't understand why people are so eager to trade Skubal away.  

It's basically saying they won't compete for a few more years.  And you know most of the guys they get are going to end up sucking.

I go back and forth on it a bit... During June I was very pro-Trade, now I'm less so given we're starting to see production from some of the younger guys.

So, explaining how I was feeling in June:

It very much looked like it was going to be 3-5 years until the Tigers were close to competing again. Our pitching was reasonably successful and we've been shown that we can develop pitching reasonably well. So while I don't think we could replace Skubal with someone else perfectly, I also didn't feel like we'd be trading like Cabrera in his prime with only Don Kelly to take his place.

I also figured it was long shot to sign Skubal long term. He's flirting with best pitcher in baseball and was going to get massive offers from the highest bidders. You think he'd take a home town discount to play with a team that was still trying to build up to a point of maybe sorta being competitive? 

So, keep Skubal and see him pitch for us 2.5 more years while our offense looks like ****, then see him get a huge pay somewhere else just as we're maybe getting competitive again. Or trade him for a MASSIVE return to bolster our minors and make sure that in 2.5 years we're getting competitive again with some more ammo in the minors.

Not sure what we’d get from the Yankees for Flaherty.  Not interested in Spencer Jones.

A lot of their top prospects are either outfielders or pitchers.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Ben Rice as a C/1B included in the deal which could give us a promising bat in the event Tork/Dingler struggle.