2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

This day has set up perfectly for Scott Harris.  Crochet’s contract demand has made Skubal and Flaherty the top 2 pitchers available in a crazy sellers market.   There aren’t enough arms available for teams that desperately need them.

I think he is going to get a crazy haul for Jack.     The last 2 hours before the deadline are going to bring some stupid offers for Skubal as teams get desperate.  I am changing my tune from last week and now my gut is that he’s going to trade Skubal and it’s going to be a great return for the Tigers.  

11 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

We got McGonigle with pick 37...so any return in a Flaherty deal woukd have tobe in thatvrange of a prospect

I believe we may have punched above our weight with that pick. McGonigle’s talent and performance so far suggests he may be better than the average #37 overall.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess Avila has the rest of the league conditioned to believe the Tigers are an easy mark.

UCL sprain that's been treated with rest and rehab instead of a TJ. And you are going to give something up for him before he proves he won't be right be back on the DL and going under the knife like so many who try to rehab a UCL sprain? maybe at 22 they don't care if he loses another year - he can follow in Mize's well trodden footsteps.

Fire Harris before he lets that happen.

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This day has set up perfectly for Scott Harris.  Crochet’s contract demand has made Skubal and Flaherty the top 2 pitchers available in a crazy sellers market.   There aren’t enough arms available for teams that desperately need them.

I think he is going to get a crazy haul for Jack.     The last 2 hours before the deadline are going to bring some stupid offers for Skubal as teams get desperate.  I am changing my tune from last week and now my gut is that he’s going to trade Skubal and it’s going to be a great return for the Tigers.  

Two choices:

A) Jackson Holliday plus.

B) No.

• Like 1

We need to see if waiting till the last minute works out for Harris. He's done it two years in a row with their best asset. 

If he does not trade Flaherty, it is a huge fail.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

We need to see if waiting till the last minute works out for Harris. He's done it two years in a row with their best asset. 

The hopes rest with Greenberg, this year.

45 minutes ago, kdog said:

The ERod non-trade was a massive fail, no question on that. I don't think Flaherty has a no-trade clause so there's not the issue there. But even if he does trade him it could still be a fail. If he waits *too* long so many teams go for secondary targets then the price for Flaherty may fall a bit. 

I'll admit I haven't been closely following MLB at large but it seems like it's a sellers market so I don't think there's too much danger of this, but still... it's one area where waiting to very last might bite the team.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I believe we may have punched above our weight with that pick. McGonigle’s talent and performance so far suggests he may be better than the average #37 overall.

Feel free to research that one...Im not 😉

55 minutes ago, kdog said:

I’d only consider it a failure if we then can’t re-sign him and end up with only a comp pick.  Locking him up for a few years given the Mize/Manning disappointments wouldn’t be an awful thing and could in turn make a Skubal trade next year easy if we have Olson/Flaherty and potentially Jobe to fall back on at that point.

12 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

The ERod non-trade was a massive fail, no question on that. I don't think Flaherty has a no-trade clause so there's not the issue there. But even if he does trade him it could still be a fail. If he waits *too* long so many teams go for secondary targets then the price for Flaherty may fall a bit. 

I'll admit I haven't been closely following MLB at large but it seems like it's a sellers market so I don't think there's too much danger of this, but still... it's one area where waiting to very last might bite the team.

image.thumb.jpeg.459b1e4f38a6a146f841d742ec915590.jpeg

image.jpeg.b79ffb737c5102d4bddfaab8ceb6e140.jpeg

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

image.thumb.jpeg.459b1e4f38a6a146f841d742ec915590.jpeg

image.jpeg.b79ffb737c5102d4bddfaab8ceb6e140.jpeg

Regardless of your opinion on Avila/Verlander trade, NOT trading ERod was a fail. EVERYONE knew he was walking and he could have brought a potential good return.

If your house is on fire the smart move is to get out of your house.

If you stay in your house and turns out an asteroid happens to land in your yard and would have hit and killed you. But instead the wind from the decent and impact ends up blowing out the fire in your house and you survive by staying in your house... well that makes you extremely lucky, not extremely smart.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Turns out the resolution of the website screenshot was bad so here is an excel screenshot instead.

image.thumb.png.65d967427fe779840b7d8ef6b1f50d61.png

Oh-NO! Doesn't bode well: A 37th pick has never made it as a plus player at SS in the majors.

Of course Adam Jones is certainly a nice target comp - except he never played an inning in the majors as a SS. For that matter Mike Heath only played 4!

17 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Regardless of your opinion on Avila/Verlander trade, NOT trading ERod was a fail. EVERYONE knew he was walking and he could have brought a potential good return.

Nobody outside of principles of the trade knows exactly how/when Rodriguez enacted his no trade clause.  In fact, the Dodgers themselves were surprised.  So, I think its disingenuous to pile all of the blame onto Harris.  Rodriguez and his agency also deserve some scorn.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

Nobody outside of principles of the trade knows exactly how/when Rodriguez enacted his no trade clause.  In fact, the Dodgers themselves were surprised.  So, I think its disingenuous to pile all of the blame onto Harris.  Rodriguez and his agency also deserve some scorn.

Edweirdo behaved erratically?