2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

12 minutes ago, casimir said:

Nobody outside of principles of the trade knows exactly how/when Rodriguez enacted his no trade clause.  In fact, the Dodgers themselves were surprised.  So, I think its disingenuous to pile all of the blame onto Harris.  Rodriguez and his agency also deserve some scorn.

Yes, it was a fail. Yes, it’s wrong to blame Harris.

36 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Regardless of your opinion on Avila/Verlander trade, NOT trading ERod was a fail. EVERYONE knew he was walking and he could have brought a potential good return.

Eduardo ****ed up the deal for giggles because Al Avila give him an unlimited no-trade clause.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Edweirdo behaved erratically?

I just think piling all of the blame on Harris as the sole reason for the failure is wrong.

And I'm fine with not extending/resigning Rodriguez.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Eduardo ****ed up the deal for giggles because Al Avila give him an unlimited no-trade clause.

I don’t think that’s accurate—I believe he had a partial no-trade list.  I think it was around 10 teams or so.

• Thanks 1

The Padres could at least dangle 20-year-old lefty Robby Snelling; industry sources said Snelling, who has a 6.01 ERA in Double A, has come up in the team’s discussions involving Flaherty and others. With Adam and perhaps another reliever set to join the big-league roster, the Padres also could look to trade a reliever or two from their current bullpen.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5668472/2024/07/30/padres-pitching-needs-mlb-trade-deadline/

34 minutes ago, casimir said:

Nobody outside of principles of the trade knows exactly how/when Rodriguez enacted his no trade clause.  In fact, the Dodgers themselves were surprised.  So, I think its disingenuous to pile all of the blame onto Harris.  Rodriguez and his agency also deserve some scorn.

Harris, in my opinion, should have had numerous conversations with ERod. He should have pushed for a firm commitment on which teams were okay or not okay. He should have had the back of the house stuff done days before the deadline. 

Now as you said, we'll never know for sure what was or wasn't said or promised or agreed upon. If Harris did all that and then ERod pulled the carpet out at the 11th hour... then Harris gets little blame imho. But if Harris had anything less than a 100% guarantee from ERod that he would accept the trade to the Dodgers, plan B, C, and probably D should have been ready to go just in case.

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Harris, in my opinion, should have had numerous conversations with ERod. He should have pushed for a firm commitment on which teams were okay or not okay. He should have had the back of the house stuff done days before the deadline. He should have pushed for a firm commitment from ERod on which teams were okay and which were not okay to be traded too.

Now as you said, we'll never know for sure what was or wasn't said or promised or agreed upon. If Harris did all that and then ERod pulled the carpet out at the 11th hour... then Harris gets little blame imho. But if Harris had anything less than a 100% guarantee from ERod that he would accept the trade to the Dodgers, plan B, C, and probably D should have been ready to go just in case.

What you are saying is if Harris was a total idiot and didn’t do the bare basics of his job that a third grader would understand , then, yes, he deserves our scorn.

Edited by Longgone

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t think that’s accurate—I believe he had a partial no-trade list.  I think it was around 10 teams or so.

I suppose you could argue that the safer bet was to work with a team not on the list, but how many guys are going to refuse the Dodgers? Really? You can think of just about one right?

If you really want to absolve Harris, the supposition would be that ERod simply didn't want to make a mid-season move, so he more or less deliberately let two teams get to the last minute knowing it was a team he could veto, whereas making his intention plain earlier would have led the team to negotiate with a team he couldn't veto. That's a little more than checkers, but  not so 3-D chess-y that I can't imagine a player and agent cooking it up.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, Longgone said:

What you are saying is if Harris was a total idiot and didn’t do the bare basics of his job that a third grader would understand , then, yes, he deserves our scorn.

I'm saying that yes. I'm also saying if he was a partial idiot who didn't do the mildly advanced parts of his job that a 12th grader would understand, then yes, he deserves some of our scorn.

Again we'll never know for sure what happened. My guess is that Harris did at least some work with ERod. What I don't know is if he got a 100% solid, firm "Yes, I will accept being traded to the Dodgers" or if it was more like "I'd have to think about it, but maybe... probably yeah."

I don't know ERod personally, but based on his history here I'd guess that he may not be 100% trustworthy to follow through on vague promises so unless there was an iron clad promise there should have been alternate plans in place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

based on his history

to me this is where you can ding Harris if you want. ERod had enough issues already that maybe you guess you need to cross every T and dot every I in anything associated with him, but I can give him that much slack for it being his first rodeo and that he wasn't actually here when Eduardo went walk-about.

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I'm saying that yes. I'm also saying if he was a partial idiot who didn't do the mildly advanced parts of his job that a 12th grader would understand, then yes, he deserves some of our scorn.

Again we'll never know for sure what happened. My guess is that Harris did at least some work with ERod. What I don't know is if he got a 100% solid, firm "Yes, I will accept being traded to the Dodgers" or if it was more like "I'd have to think about it, but maybe... probably yeah."

I don't know ERod personally, but based on his history here I'd guess that he may not be 100% trustworthy to follow through on vague promises so unless there was an iron clad promise there should have been alternate plans in place.

It’s probably not totally fair to blame erod either, players are consulted of course, but generally stay out of negotiations. You depend on the agent to represent the player and act with integrity, and apparently this didn’t happen.

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, I never liked the spin the Tigers front office put on it. Blaming the player for something that is in writing in his contract never made sense to me. Harris has months to make changes to the contract in regards to a no trade clause. Waiting until the last minute and working out a deal with one of the teams on the no trade list never made sense. Have a backup plan in case it falls through. With that being said, there are 2 other points. One, Harris wasn't the one who gave that contract. And it was a lesson for Harris to learn from, hopefully. And yes, I know ERod was/is a knucklehead.

I'll give Harris a 40% pass on Eduardo. He didn't sign the contract. But Flaherty is his signing and it's a sellers market. He has to trade him and extract some decent value.

4 minutes ago, Longgone said:

It’s probably not totally fair to blame erod either, players are consulted of course, but generally stay out of negotiations. You depend on the agent to represent the player and act with integrity, and apparently this didn’t happen.

Yeah, it would be more accurate to say "ERod's camp" instead of ERod... and likewise the Tiger's front office instead of Harris. It's just easier to type just the names I guess.

35 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Harris, in my opinion, should have had numerous conversations with ERod.

All reporting available to us reported that they were in the loop with each other the whole time, that Eduardo nodded yes to the deal the entire time, and the last minute demand was a surprise neither the Tigers nor Dodgers could have reasonably expected based on how things were going.

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, I never liked the spin the Tigers front office put on it. Blaming the player for something that is in writing in his contract never made sense to me. Harris has months to make changes to the contract in regards to a no trade clause. Waiting until the last minute and working out a deal with one of the teams on the no trade list never made sense. Have a backup plan in case it falls through. With that being said, there are 2 other points. One, Harris wasn't the one who gave that contract. And it was a lesson for Harris to learn from, hopefully. And yes, I know ERod was/is a knucklehead.

You keep saying this and it’s bull. No one in the front office blamed anyone or put any “spin” on the deal. Second, no one is going to give up leverage and amend a contract, so just stop throwing these things out there.

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

You keep saying this and it’s bull. No one in the front office blamed anyone or put any “spin” on the deal. Second, no one is going to give up leverage and amend a contract, so just stop throwing these things out there.

Yeah, sure. It's all ERods fault. Harris knew about the no trade to LA but only worked out a deal with them, nobody else.