2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, sure. It's all ERods fault. Harris knew about the no trade to LA but only worked out a deal with them, nobody else.

It would just be nice if you would stop repeating the same false, baseless points.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I suppose you could argue that the safer bet was to work with a team not on the list, but how many guys are going to refuse the Dodgers? Really? You can think of just about one right?

And if the Dodgers are the only team making at least a halfway decent offer, then what was Harris to do? Cancel the deal on the last day even though the player kept saying yes to it, on the off chance he might block the trade because it's one of his ten teams? Would that have made Harris a hero here then? I don't think so.

Or maybe Harris should not have taken any calls from any of the ten teams on the list, on the off chance Eduardo would nod yes the entire time until the last second when might block the trade, and then get nothing for him as he ended up doing anyway? Would everyone here believe Harris did the right thing then? I don't believe this, either.

Should Harris have put a second team on the line as a fallback, even if they offer way under market value for Eduardo, on the off chance that Eduardo would nod yes to the deal the entire time and then block it at the last second, because getting something anything for him, even a Verlander-level return, would have been better than nothing? Does Harris win with the posters here for that? Highly doubtful.

Really, I don't see any reasonable scenario where Harris should have had to anticipate every single contingency, the basis of which would be to completely mistrust everything the player and his agent say along the way, and come out a winner in this board's eyes. It just doesn't pass any smell test.

Edited by chasfh

Just now, Longgone said:

It would just be nice if you would stop repeating the same false, baseless points.

It would be nice if you didn't act like you know details of something you know nothing about. Bottom line is Harris didn't deal ERod to a team that he had the ability to refuse. That's on Harris, not ERod. I don't know why your a Harris slappy but it comes down to who is in charge and where the buck stops. At the top, not on the player...

9 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I would rather Harris aim big late than settle small early. We don't need any Dawell Lugos'. 

Quoted for the truth... and also because I just love that name. Whenever I hear it I think that it was a character in the Hobbit.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And if the Dodgers are the only team making at least a halfway decent offer, then what was Harris to do? Cancel the deal on the last day even though the player kept saying yes to it, on the off chance he might block the trade because it's one of his ten teams? Would that have made Harris a hero here then? I don't think so.

Or maybe Harris should not have taken any calls from any of the ten teams on the list, on the off chance Eduardo would nod yes the entire time until the last second when might block the trade? Would everyone here believe Harris did the right thing then? I don't believe this, either.

Should Harris have put a second team on the line as a fallback, even if they offer way under market value for Eduardo, on the off chance that Eduardo would nod yes to the deal the entire time and then block it at the last second, because getting something anything for him, even a Verlander-level return, would have been better than nothing? Does Harris win with the posters here for that? Highly doubtful.

Really, I don't see any reasonable scenario where Harris should have had to anticipate every single contingency, the basis of which would be to completely mistrust everything the player and his agent say along the way, and come out a winner in this board's eyes. It just doesn't pass any smell test.

That's the point, we dint know if there were other offers. But that really is old news, no reason to speculate about any of it. No trade clauses suck and hopefully, Harris won't ever give them out. 

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And if the Dodgers are the only team ...

And the truth is Eduardo is not the only guy to ever veto a trade. It happens. That's why guys negotiate for no trade clauses. The case is just magnified for the Tigers because every missed chance to acquire talent is such a body blow.

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It would be nice if you didn't act like you know details of something you know nothing about. Bottom line is Harris didn't deal ERod to a team that he had the ability to refuse. That's on Harris, not ERod. I don't know why your a Harris slappy but it comes down to who is in charge and where the buck stops. At the top, not on the player...

I’m not a Harris slappy, I wish he could have capitalized on Erod as much as anyone. I’m just not not going to make up fake reasons to blame him, and then repeat them ad nauseam.

Edited by Longgone

Harris and the front office are on a tough spot with the fans.  (They might not care).  No trade will be viewed as a colossal failure.  And anything perceived less than what the Jays received for Kikuchi will be heavily criticized.

The truth is that teams might be leary of his back issues. Many have pivoted to worse options (Montas, Kikuchi, Eflin) for reasons unknown.

Im good with him holding firm on his ask, even if a trade doesn’t happen.  A qualifying offer that results in a high draft pick is worth that risk of setting a high price.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

That's the point, we dint know if there were other offers. But that really is old news, no reason to speculate about any of it. No trade clauses suck and hopefully, Harris won't ever give them out. 

And that's why I don't blame Harris for this, in that it's not his fault, even though he has to take responsibility for it, in that he has to manage the organization based on the result. He can't account for his player and the agent just being lying liars who are misleading him on their intentions.

5 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I’m not a Harris slappy, I wish he could have capitalized on Erod as much as anyone. I’m just not not going to make up fake reasons to blame him, and then repeat them ad nauseam.

Scroll past. That's what I usually do.

I hate to thread police but come on @Sports_Freak and @chasfh

Why do we have to do yet another Erod rehash today of all days!!

Lots of people are coming here for updates and meaningful thoughts on things that matter today.

if you insist on battling this out then at least take it back to last years trade deadline thread instead of getting everyone bogged down in this bs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And that's why I don't blame Harris for this, in that it's not his fault, even though he has to take responsibility for it, in that he has to manage the organization based on the result. He can't account for his player and the agent just being lying liars who are misleading him on their intentions.

Yeah, it's all ancient history that thankfully is over and done with. I'm not even sure how/why it came up. But with Flaherty being traded, I hope he gets the most from a deal. If we get to keep him, it wouldn't be the worst thing. 

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Lots of people are coming here for updates and meaningful thoughts on things that matter today.

if you insist on battling this out then at least take it back to last years trade deadline thread instead of getting everyone bogged down in this bs. 

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

I think they will finish off the trades during today's game.

I need a fix before then. I’ll suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome before then from refreshing the screen. 

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This reminds me of the times we’ve waited in a doctor’s office or mechanics shop. While you’re anxiously waiting for some news or updates you’re thumbing through year-old magazines in the waiting room to kill the time. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Agreed

Deadline trades for Tiger fans are what the NFL draft used to be for Lions fans...the Supe Bowl/ World Series.  

Just hard to get excited about getting a back up catcher or wild as hell reliever.

I'd rather the Tigers just kept Flaherty.  I know some posters are going to go out of their mind with ecstasy getting some teams #14th and #23rd rated prospects in return.

Edited by tiger2022

6 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Deadline trades for Tiger fans are what the NFL draft used to be for Lions fans...the Supe Bowl/ World Series.  

Just hard to get excited about getting a back up catcher or wild as hell reliever.

I'd rather the Tigers just kept Flaherty.  I know some posters are going to go out of their mind with ecstasy getting some teams #14th and #23rd rated prospects in return.

Wow, am I glad you aren't running the Tigers, such a short-sighted viewpoint.