2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

20 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Deadline trades for Tiger fans are what the NFL draft used to be for Lions fans...the Supe Bowl/ World Series.  

Just hard to get excited about getting a back up catcher or wild as hell reliever.

I'd rather the Tigers just kept Flaherty.  I know some posters are going to go out of their mind with ecstasy getting some teams #14th and #23rd rated prospects in return.

Sorry I think you accidently mistyped after the #1 and #2...... 😏

• Like 1

The only reason I think it'd be a failure is if they don't trade Flaherty. They should be able to get decent prospects and then have the money to re-sign him in the off season. I get that we get a QO pick after the first round, but it'd be nice to get a teams 3-10 prospect and then re-sign him after getting that player..... 

Don't get me wrong, I still think Skubal should go. But I think it woulda happened by now if it was.... (I'd love to be wrong here....)

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And that's why I don't blame Harris for this, in that it's not his fault, even though he has to take responsibility for it, in that he has to manage the organization based on the result. He can't account for his player and the agent just being lying liars who are misleading him on their intentions.

Making a bad deal by "accepting" low returns only hinders all future trades. It's better to hold your ground and establish an understanding with your peers that you won't be a sap. That might be playing today as well. Harris has his desired return for Captain jack and won't settle. It might suck two years in a row but eventually teams will bargain in good faith instead of trying to rip off the new guy.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And that's why I don't blame Harris for this, in that it's not his fault, even though he has to take responsibility for it, in that he has to manage the organization based on the result. He can't account for his player and the agent just being lying liars who are misleading him on their intentions.

Making a bad deal by "accepting" low returns only hinders all future trades. It's better to hold your ground and establish an understanding with your peers that you won't be a sap. That might be playing today as well. Harris has his desired return for Captain jack and won't settle. It might suck two years in a row but eventually teams will bargain in good faith instead of trying to rip off the new guy.

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t see this front office ever giving out the type of contracts that would be required.  

If we added Mayo, Cowser/Kjersted and Basello I could..... The Tigers aren't poor. Realistically they are probably one of the top 7 teams in MLB in terms of money they can spend..... 

Not trading Flaherty is acceptable if they choose to sign him to an extension.  

Not trading him and letting him leave for only a future draft pick would be a total failure (but that’s not happening.  He’s getting moved). 

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Not trading Flaherty is acceptable if they choose to sign him to an extension.  

Not trading him and letting him leave for only a future draft pick would be a total failure (but that’s not happening.  He’s getting moved). 

Curious if you would consider trading Flaherty for sub-par prospects to be a failure?

Because if so, then a blanket statement of "not trading him would be a failure" doesn't make sense. Many reports from this year's trade deadline season have been that the limited activity is due to buyers trying to lowball and sellers asking for the moon. 

If Harris gets nothing but low ball offers, I'd rather hold him, get the comp pick, and give him 2 more months to continue to build a connection with the team and city.

6 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

If we added Mayo, Cowser/Kjersted and Basello I could..... The Tigers aren't poor. Realistically they are probably one of the top 7 teams in MLB in terms of money they can spend..... 

I think it’s more of a business philosophy.   Don’t see Harris giving out 6 year contracts to free agent pitchers.  I could be wrong, though.

2 minutes ago, ICroupier said:

Curious if you would consider trading Flaherty for sub-par prospects to be a failure?

Because if so, then a blanket statement of "not trading him would be a failure" doesn't make sense. Many reports from this year's trade deadline season have been that the limited activity is due to buyers trying to lowball and sellers asking for the moon. 

If Harris gets nothing but low ball offers, I'd rather hold him, get the comp pick, and give him 2 more months to continue to build a connection with the team and city.

It’s just hyperbole.  Nothing is that black and white.

7 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It’s just hyperbole.  Nothing is that black and white.

I agree. But plenty of fans don't. If a trade isn't made, it will be treated by many just as he said, "a complete failure."

And it's those same folks who would be clamoring "failure" that would be the first to slam a sub-par return.

My point is Harris is never going to get a king's ransom for a rental, so there's like a 65% chance he's slammed one way or the other by a chunk of the fandom.

Edited by ICroupier
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Harris, in my opinion, should have had numerous conversations with ERod. He should have pushed for a firm commitment on which teams were okay or not okay. He should have had the back of the house stuff done days before the deadline. 

Now as you said, we'll never know for sure what was or wasn't said or promised or agreed upon. If Harris did all that and then ERod pulled the carpet out at the 11th hour... then Harris gets little blame imho. But if Harris had anything less than a 100% guarantee from ERod that he would accept the trade to the Dodgers, plan B, C, and probably D should have been ready to go just in case.

It'd be interesting to know about plans B, C, D, etc...

54 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Deadline trades for Tiger fans are what the NFL draft used to be for Lions fans...the Supe Bowl/ World Series.  

Just hard to get excited about getting a back up catcher or wild as hell reliever.

I'd rather the Tigers just kept Flaherty.  I know some posters are going to go out of their mind with ecstasy getting some teams #14th and #23rd rated prospects in return.

I agree. We desperately need starting pitchers. Extending him for 2 years would be great but I don't see the player agreeing.

9 minutes ago, ICroupier said:

I would deem it a total failure because there are deals out there to be had.   I want more for Flaherty but I’d take deal like the Jays got for Kikuchi more than a draft pick.  

4 minutes ago, ICroupier said:

I agree. But plenty of fans don't. If a trade isn't made, it will be treated by many just as he said, "a complete failure."

And it's those same folks who would be clamoring "failure" that would be the first to slam a sub-par return.

My point is Harris is never going to get a king's ransom for a rental, so there's like a 65% chance he's slammed one way or the other by a chunk of the fandom.

Considering what Toronto received for Kikuchi, it will be perceived as a failure if Harris gets nothing.

• Thanks 1