2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

36 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

A rotation of Skubal, Flaherty, Jobe, Olsen and Mize would be money next year, though.

You can sneak into the playoffs with that rotation with even a bad lineup.  I mean the Tigers are around .500 batting 4 or 5 AAA players each game.

Just now, AlaskanTigersFan said:

The Orioles just traded their #5 prospect (who would be some teams #1) for a guy with an injury history a 4.53 ERA and a 1.53 WHIP..... WTF is Harris and Greenburg doing.......

And Stowers. It's a good haul for the Marlins. 

3 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

The Orioles just traded their #5 prospect (who would be some teams #1) for a guy with an injury history a 4.53 ERA and a 1.53 WHIP..... WTF is Harris and Greenburg doing.......

It just increases Flaherty's worth. We may end up very happy if/when he gets moved.

I doubt the Orioles were trading for Flaherty again.  Plus I don’t think Rogers is a rental—they must think he’s capable of better.

I’d be pissed if I’m an O’s fan.  Neither Eflin nor Rogers will be difference makers in the playoffs for them.  They really needed Skubal or Crochet for that.

• Thanks 1

I must be in the minority because I really don't give a **** whether they trade Flaherty.  There's something to be said to me for having a better team now than you would a year from now.  This team is short on SP and it makes it more fun when the team can win and he makes it more likely they will win. 

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I doubt the Orioles were trading for Flaherty again.  Plus I don’t think Rogers is a rental—they must think he’s capable of better.

I’d be pissed if I’m an O’s fan.  Neither Eflin nor Rogers will be difference makers in the playoffs for them.  They really needed Skubal or Crochet for that.

Good points plus Rogers has two more years after 2024

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Agree with you on the reunion.

As for Rogers, I do kind of wonder how much the 2 or 3 additional seasons of control factor into this.  No doubt Flaherty is having the better season.  But Baltimore must have some affinity for the future with Rogers.

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Don’t stress out yet.  Boston or LA haven’t done anything so far and you know they will.  

Hold on, the Dodgers traded Vanasco to the Tigers for cash.  Why are you skimming over that?

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

then have the money to re-sign him in the off season

How often does a team actually re-sign the same guy after they trade him? It does happen, but I don't think I'd hold it out as much of a probability.

If this is Elias’ haul for the deadline, he is putting his neck on the line by holding on to his largely redundant prospects to acquire a couple of # 3/4 starters if they don’t make the World Series.

You do have to wonder if Skubal was actually in play at all?