2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

13 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It just increases Flaherty's worth. We may end up very happy if/when he gets moved.

let's hope.  there is a point where this peaks and then starts to decline, when the buyers know that the seller doesn't have alternatives, either

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If this is Elias’ haul for the deadline, he is putting his neck on the line by holding on to his largely redundant prospects to acquire a couple of # 3/4 starters if they don’t make the World Series.

You do have to wonder if Skubal was actually in play at all?

The Orioles are planning on having strong offensive players come up every year instead of trading them all and then hoping they can resign a bunch if guys in a few years.  

12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If this is Elias’ haul for the deadline, he is putting his neck on the line by holding on to his largely redundant prospects to acquire a couple of # 3/4 starters if they don’t make the World Series.

You do have to wonder if Skubal was actually in play at all?

If they get bounced in the first round of the Playoffs, people are going to be pretty pissed.........

15 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

let's hope.  there is a point where this peaks and then starts to decline, when the buyers know that the seller doesn't have alternatives, either

But the Tigers do have the option of keeping him and either taking the comp pick or extending him. If a playoff team wants to increase their chances, they'll have to pony up...

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I hate to thread police but come on @Sports_Freak and @chasfh

Why do we have to do yet another Erod rehash today of all days!!

Lots of people are coming here for updates and meaningful thoughts on things that matter today.

if you insist on battling this out then at least take it back to last years trade deadline thread instead of getting everyone bogged down in this bs. 

Do you really hate to thread police? Because you just got at least six likes for this post, so I would think you love to thread police! 😉🤣

Look, I won't speak for sports_freak, but if you care about being fair about it, I wasn't the one who brought up "Erod". RedRamage did, and tiger337, casimir, shinzaki, and longgone all weighed in on it before I posted my first words about it, and gehringer_2, kdog kept it going, too. So as long as you're name-checking perpetrators whenever you do thread police, make sure you're getting everyone who got the fire going and kept it going, not just the people you think have the most obnoxious takes on it.

Love ya, buddy! 😘

Edited by chasfh
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

But the Tigers do have the option of keeping him and either taking the comp pick or extending him. If a playoff team wants to increase their chances, they'll have to pony up...

exactly. But if they don't move him it better be because they have the outline of a deal in place to extend him.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t see this front office ever giving out the type of contracts that would be required.  

Never say "ever", but yeah, I agree that it'll be a while.

19 minutes ago, kdog said:

So what does this tell us? I take it to mean that the teams trying to build are getting caught up in their own false sense of imperative to make trades in markets where the buyers are not offering fair return value.