2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

Is Lirzano going to take over for Tork?

Thayron Liranzo

TLDR

A below-average arm stands in the way of Liranzo catching. He might have enough power to profile at first if he can't.

Full Report

Liranzo still has too much to clean up on defense for us to feel comfortable stuffing him on the Top 100. When he can actually get a throw to the bag off, his Patrick Bailey-style sidearm release works ok, but he so often botches or fumbles his exchange that he doesn't give himself a chance to get the runner. Liranzo mostly utilizes a traditional crouch when receiving and is a below-average framer and ball-blocker. Both those skills are more tenable and within the range of big league viability than his arm, but at Liranzo's size and age, it's no guarantee they'll stay that way.

There is huge switch-hitting power here — Liranzo hit 24 bombs in the Cal League, hit a ball 114 mph, and had a 48% hard-hit rate last year. He can hit for power from the left side even when he isn't taking his best swing, and he's dangerous from the right side even though he uses super conservative footwork, generating everything with a shift in his weight and the strength of his hands. Liranzo doesn't have great feel for the barrel, which is typical for a young a switch-hitter, let alone one of atypical size. His 65% contact rate is below the threshold of any 2023 big league first baseman (Bryce Harper's was at 68%, the next lowest was 72%), so there's substantial Quad-A risk here if Liranzo can't catch. Whether or not he stays back there is the difference between Cal Raleigh and M.J. Melendez from a production standpoint. Arm strength is perhaps a little less teachable than other issues young catchers often need to fix, which is worrisome in this case. He has a little more minor league experience than some of the other prospects who present a combination of extreme ceiling and risk, and Liranzo's high-end outcomes are driving his placement here.

I would rather give Sweeney a chance than keep turning to Kreidler.   

Is Kenta going back to the rotation now?   My guess would be yes.   

When is Olson going on the 60 ? 

Maybe this team needs to evaluate their training staff.  The team seems to be falling apart by the day.     

Harris better have a better offseason than last year.      

Seriously, what is the rotation now? 

Skubal

Bullpen Day

Sammons

Montero

Bullpen Day

This year is such a failure.........especially having to watch KC pass us.       This is still on Avila but not much longer, this is the last year we can pin it on him, but he had 2  1/1 picks and they are both looking like busts now. 

Torkelson looks like Eric Munson

Carpenter with the lingering back thing, just like Andy Dirks, who never played again

Greene hurt......again

MIze hurt..........again

Manning falling apart 

Kenta being a gas can

Javy checked out, but team is too scared to just pay him off and for some unknown reason only invested in a SS at the trade deadline.    

Bummer Summer for 8 years in a row in Tigertown.   Other teams fell after we did and have now passed us on the way up.    

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is Lirzano going to take over for Tork?

Thayron Liranzo

TLDR

A below-average arm stands in the way of Liranzo catching. He might have enough power to profile at first if he can't.

Full Report

Liranzo still has too much to clean up on defense for us to feel comfortable stuffing him on the Top 100. When he can actually get a throw to the bag off, his Patrick Bailey-style sidearm release works ok, but he so often botches or fumbles his exchange that he doesn't give himself a chance to get the runner. Liranzo mostly utilizes a traditional crouch when receiving and is a below-average framer and ball-blocker. Both those skills are more tenable and within the range of big league viability than his arm, but at Liranzo's size and age, it's no guarantee they'll stay that way.

There is huge switch-hitting power here — Liranzo hit 24 bombs in the Cal League, hit a ball 114 mph, and had a 48% hard-hit rate last year. He can hit for power from the left side even when he isn't taking his best swing, and he's dangerous from the right side even though he uses super conservative footwork, generating everything with a shift in his weight and the strength of his hands. Liranzo doesn't have great feel for the barrel, which is typical for a young a switch-hitter, let alone one of atypical size. His 65% contact rate is below the threshold of any 2023 big league first baseman (Bryce Harper's was at 68%, the next lowest was 72%), so there's substantial Quad-A risk here if Liranzo can't catch. Whether or not he stays back there is the difference between Cal Raleigh and M.J. Melendez from a production standpoint. Arm strength is perhaps a little less teachable than other issues young catchers often need to fix, which is worrisome in this case. He has a little more minor league experience than some of the other prospects who present a combination of extreme ceiling and risk, and Liranzo's high-end outcomes are driving his placement here.

That seems like a less than glowing report on his defense.

3 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

This whole thing has turned out to be like a very bad Christmas where you think you’re getting a new bike and instead you get new underwear. 

"I NEVER LEFT...........I'M STILL CALLING THE SHOTS, I'M JUST HIDING SO PEOPLE WOULD STOP BEING MEAN TO ME"

?url=https:%2F%2Fmediaassets.wxyz.com%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F07%2F23%2F482950628_1469315734405_42998842_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

1 minute ago, buddha said:

we didnt get jackson holliday for jack flaherty.  oh no.

you guys are ridiculous.  that's a decent return for an oft-injured rental starter.

its hard to know what the future is or whatever other offers were but it seems OK nothing to blow you away

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Sounds like an Avila-esque deal.      

Maybe, but remember this is just a rental on a guy with some back issues so I'm not expecting the sun moon and stars... just the moon, and maybe one or two smaller stars.

Sweeny as our new McStinky that hopefully is better ?

Liranzo has power which is valuable, a switch hitter which is plus and a good first baseman that can also catch. Seems better than a supplemental draft pick. Not sure if it's as good as what Toronto got for Kuchi-san. Maybe Jack's back lessened the take. "feels" like Harris wanted something else that evaporated and he pivoted to plan B at the last minute. 

But I don't know. Just guessing here.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

we didnt get jackson holliday for jack flaherty.  oh no.

you guys are ridiculous.  that's a decent return for an oft-injured rental starter.

Flaherty has had back issues for some time. I think Liranzo and Sweeney are fair  for Flaherty. Liranzo, is the Tork insurance policy, and Sweeney is a reasonable inf.

Just now, HeyAbbott said:

Flaherty has had back issues for some time. I think Liranzo and Sweeney are fair  for Flaherty. Liranzo, is the Tork insurance policy, and Sweeney is a reasonable inf.

exactly 

Someone posted that it seems Harris has targets he wants to go after and then zeroes in on them, unlike AA who enjoyed more lottery tickets.   I'm still willing to trust Harris with Malloy, Lee, flipping Flaherty/Canha/Lorenzen/Kelly, Ibanez, Vierling.   He has improved the minor league system, scouting and coaching, I'm willing to give him more time to see what he can develop in a year or two.    He infused more young talent at this deadline and his first draft is already filtering into A+ with teenagers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1