2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

19 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Probably will be some discards after all these trades that we can pick up on the cheap as rotation filler.

Three guys off of the 40 and none of the returning guys are on it, so there’s room to maneuver there.

bottom line we are a worse MLB team as of 6:00pm than we were this morning and no-one brought on board has a high probability of making any MLB impact. Now TBH, they were going to be worse once Flahery left at the end of the season anyway, but I'm not sure anything in these returns is necessarily better than a comp pick. Like I said before, teams like the Tigers end up persuading themselves they have to make these trades while the buying teams laugh all the way to the playoffs.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

we didnt get jackson holliday for jack flaherty.  oh no.

you guys are ridiculous.  that's a decent return for an oft-injured rental starter.

It's about what I expected.  Chances are none of them will be very good, but they all have some potential. That's what you get from a rental. Baseball is more fun when you are the team getting the rental because it's means you are good.  

As a seller instead of a buyer, I guess we can’t expect too much very soon, but I don’t think this team is going to be better and more fun to follow right now than it was 45 minutes ago. “It is what it is,“ is certainly true but, hopeful ignoramus that I am, I was expecting to feel better about all of this than I am. This continuing lesson in “deferred gratification” is tiresome. Oh well. 

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Sweeny as our new McStinky that hopefully is better ?

Liranzo has power which is valuable, a switch hitter which is plus and a good first baseman that can also catch. Seems better than a supplemental draft pick. Not sure if it's as good as what Toronto got for Kuchi-san. Maybe Jack's back lessened the take. "feels" like Harris wanted something else that evaporated and he pivoted to plan B at the last minute. 

But I don't know. Just guessing here.

I read a little bit about Sweeney, and maybe he is the new McKinstry.  It seemed a lot of commentary about him being a LHH utility type.

Liranzo could be a huge addition if they can get him to hit with more contact.  Easier said than done, but it sounds like the power comes kind of easily.  And if catching duties become reduced via automated strike zone, than that’s one less thing to worry about if stays behind the dish.  And supposedly he has a strong arm, but the throwing motion needs work.

I don’t know.  Guess we’ll find out eventually.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

bottom line we are a worse MLB team as of 6:00pm than we were this morning and no-one brought on board has a high probability of making any MLB impact. Now TBH, they were going to be worse once Flahery left at the end of the season anyway, but I'm not sure anything in these returns is necessarily better than a comp pick. Like I said before, teams like the Tigers end up persuading themselves they have to make these trades while the buying teams laugh all the way to the playoffs.

Yes,  I am not disappointed with the return, because it's about what I expected.  I continue to be disappointed that they are not in a position where they are getting the proven player.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

othet than getting screwed by flaky Erod, harris hasnt done anything objectionable yet.

He got Vierling in the same trade as Nick Maton so that ended up being a good trade for Soto and Clemens. So yeah, the only other thing I could complain about was letting Candelario walk for nothing. But he was new then...

I guess that as a “consumer” the effect of all this on me is that instead of biting at the mlb.tv offer of the rest of the season for $34.99 I don’t feel motivated to push the button. This is a lesser product on the field and I can do fine with radio and don’t need to see it on TV too. 

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Even though this is what I expected, it still feels like hoping for a bicycle at Christmas and getting underwear instead. 

The Tigers should have a lot of money this off-season. Chafin and Flaherty were both free agent signings and Canha had a team option picked up. (I think). And none of the players we received were/are huge payroll guys. Harris is building right...getting talent depth. And collecting shortstops...lol

• Like 1

This team had a lot of holes at 8 AM today. It has a lot of holes at 6:51 PM today. We need an everyday 1B, SS and 3B, not to mention a whole lot of health elsewhere. Tork is not the answer at 1B, and never will be. Baez hasn't been embalmed at SS, but he is realistically done. 3B is more confusing than a flash mob with a Chinese dragon in Warsaw, Poland.

Assuming perfect health, we are way short of a true playoff team. We have been pretty well banged up. Find a starting pitcher and a 3B from free agency and maybe there is hope for next year.

1 minute ago, HeyAbbott said:

This team had a lot of holes at 8 AM today. It has a lot of holes at 6:51 PM today. We need an everyday 1B, SS and 3B, not to mention a whole lot of health elsewhere. Tork is not the answer at 1B, and never will be. Baez hasn't been embalmed at SS, but he is realistically done. 3B is more confusing than a flash mob with a Chinese dragon in Warsaw, Poland.

Assuming perfect health, we are way short of a true playoff team. We have been pretty well banged up. Find a starting pitcher and a 3B from free agency and maybe there is hope for next year.

3rd base is covered if Vierling sticks there. I would try for a 1st baseman and at least 2 starting pitchers. 

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is a very pessimistic way of looking at the picture. What did you want them to do keep flaherty and win maybe a game more this year? What good is that gonna do versus maybe finding a guy that helps you win 30 more games over the next 10 years.

And the comp pick might be better but two things are most likely gonna be true with the comp pick. They will be older and they will have less minor league success than what we got back. Seems to me the guy with a bit of a track record might be a better ticket than holding on to a guy for 1 more win ans older ticket with less evidence about their potential for success.

Edited by KL2

1 minute ago, HeyAbbott said:

A team whose strength going forward was supposed to be pitching now has one of the weaker staffs and less AAA depth than average and while the pitching went poof we've seen Keith look good and Perez and Malloy look like they might stick. Net/net we've lost ground for the year.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

he hit 24 HR in low A, at high A this year he's hit 7 in 314 PA. It doesn't matter how hard you hit it unless you can hit it with some regularity.

Like a dozen guys have more than 10 Homers. It's the midwest league. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

...  Harris better have a better offseason than last year.      

Seriously, what is the rotation now? 

Skubal

Bullpen Day

Sammons

Montero

Bullpen Day

The only flipside to this is... while we may have to muddle through this year, I still see next year's rotation as Skubal-Jobe-Olson-Maeda, and let everyone else duke it out for #5 starter, or two of the many candidates to push Maeda all the way to the bullpen and gain the #4 rotation spot.

I'm not worried about the off season or next year.

I think it was valuable, and impactful, to "blood" Perez, Keith, Dingler, Malloy (possibly Jung will be called up soon, IMO), Montero, etc. in MLB this year, more than anything else.

My 2 cents.

56 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Flaherty has had back issues for some time. I think Liranzo and Sweeney are fair  for Flaherty. Liranzo, is the Tork insurance policy, and Sweeney is a reasonable inf.

Liranzo doesn’t have value as a first baseman, except that he can play there if you need him, he doesn’t have that kind of bat. His value is if he can walk, hit a few bombs, and stick behind the dish. He’s the main get, Sweeney’s probably a utility guy.

Edited by Longgone

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think this is too harsh. I give him a 50/50 chance.

He either figures it out.

Or he doesn't.

I appreciate your difference in your opinion. I have seen this same movie a number of times, going back to Purnal Goldy, who looked like a slugger, but never did much.

Either way, it is time the Tigers start looking for other long term solutions at 1B that do not include Tork. I do not know what they might be.