2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

Harris needs to get credit for taking a free agent flyer on Flaherty and turning it into a fantastic first half performance along with a top 75 overall prospect and a young and hopefully better McKinstry.   

At the same time, he left too much meat on the bone in the trade.  Toronto and Florida both got better packages for less of a player.   They needed to do a better job negotiating a better deal.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Harris needs to get credit for taking a free agent flyer on Flaherty and turning it into a fantastic first half performance along with a top 75 overall prospect and a young and hopefully better McKinstry.   

At the same time, he left too much meat on the bone in the trade.  Toronto and Florida both got better packages for less of a player.   They needed to do a better job negotiating a better deal.  

I don't think the Toronto package was any better.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Liranzo doesn’t have value as a first baseman, except that he can play there if you need him, he doesn’t have that kind of bat. His value is if he can walk, hit a few bombs, and stick behind the dish. He’s the main get, Sweeney’s probably a utility guy.

I would disagree, he has the thump of a 1B, if he stays a C that is ideal but he definitely has the stick for 1B. 

8 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

... Either way, it is time the Tigers start looking for other long term solutions at 1B that do not include Tork. I do not know what they might be.

I agree with this.

I see no reason to treat future Tiger's rosters as "locked in" with Tork as the 1B'man.

The first soltion to me would be to give 1B gloves to Malloy, Keith, Liranzo, Vilade, and anyone else who could "possibly" play a part in solving 1B if Tork doesn't figure it out. Whether it's a large or small part of the solution...

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

Agreed, Bloss is the main get there and he's probably a #4/#5 starter when all is said and done. Luperfido is basically Akil Baddoo and I don't know enough about the throw in prospect. 

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

I'm thinking Edman is going to have fun with the 40 man roster crunch in the offseason.

One step ahead of you. 

Sweeney, Lee, Owens, and Hicks are all eligible for the Rule 5.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

The only flipside to this is... while we may have to muddle through this year, I still see next year's rotation as Skubal-Jobe-Olson-Maeda, and let everyone else duke it out for #5 starter, or two of the many candidates to push Maeda all the way to the bullpen and gain the #4 rotation spot.

I'm not worried about the off season or next year.

I think it was valuable, and impactful, to "blood" Perez, Keith, Dingler, Malloy (possibly Jung will be called up soon, IMO), Montero, etc. in MLB this year, more than anything else.

My 2 cents.

I can’t see Jobe starting out the season in Detroit.  If anything, maybe they take the Paul Skenes route of shorter outings in Toledo early without burning him up before the season ends.  He hasn’t pitched even 100 innings in a season yet.

They’ll need a top half rotation SP and a mid tier SP.  Skubal, SP, SP, Olson.  Maeda can try to earn the 5th spot.  Jobe, Montero, and Gipson-Long in Toledo.  Probably need another AAAA type or two in Toledo.

I’d leave the RP returnees in the BP.  I’m not all that interested in stretching out Faedo, or Brieske, or Holton.  And they’ll need reinforcements, too.

They have had quite a number of rookies this season.  Might as well add Meadows to that, too, he’s pretty much a rookie for all intents and purposes.  Hopefully they can keep their heads above water to finish out the season and maybe trim down the offensive wish list over the offseason.

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They traded four guys, including one who was maybe the best player available, and got three decent prospects. I think they can do better. 

I love their drafts, the development system, etc, but this aspect seems to need a little work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

He has the power, not the hit tool.

I think he does better from the left side. And is not as good a catcher as Dingler (unless he develops more?).

My first thought is he ends up the 30 game catcher from the left side (if he makes it to MLB) while Dingler is the 130 game catcher from the right side (facing both righties and lefties). And if Liranzo can also learn 1B, he can get some play there. 

Even with the lower hit tool, they're still going to try and get to his power, one way or another.

IMO.

4 minutes ago, Longgone said:

They traded four guys, including one who was maybe the best player available, and got three decent prospects. I think they can do better. 

I love their drafts, the development system, etc, but this aspect seems to need a little work.

They got the highest rated guy traded by any team. How should they have "done better"

14 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

...   At the same time, he left too much meat on the bone in the trade...

I think the top end guys are fine. If there was any meat left, IMO, it was in not getting some lower-level lottery ticket pitcher that the Tigers could possibly develop. But to me, it might knock it down half a grade because, who doesn't love lottery tickets...? But that's too immaterial for me to even think about at this point in time... I'm too busy looking at the guys we got and what their skills/ upsides/ deficiencies are...

10 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Still, Flaherty is a much better player now than Kikuchi.  Even if you like the Flaherty return better, it would only be a very slight upgrade than the Kikuchi deal.   They are very similar packages.  

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Still, Flaherty is a much better player now than Kikuchi.  Even if you like the Flaherty return better, it would only be a very slight upgrade than the Kikuchi deal.   They are very similar packages.  

OK so better player got the better package? Seems about right. 

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

OK so better player got the better package? Seems about right. 

Much better player only slightly better package.  

Im not saying it’s a fleece.  It’s not. He didn’t come anywhere close to getting max value.  

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

I can’t see Jobe starting out the season in Detroit.  If anything...

I could see it happening. There are lots of ways to limit a pitcher's innings, even in MLB.

And if he hits 100 innings this year (don't forget AFL...); doesn't that mean 125-130 innings next year, starter's innings...?

I think the decision is, simply, is he ready for MLB Opening Day 2025... or not yet?

They can figure out everything else, after that...