2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

27 minutes ago, Longgone said:

He has the power, not the hit tool.

PS: The scouting reports says he has a great plate approach, despite the weak hit tool.

Maybe they offset? Or the Tigers can help with the holes that he has in his swing? 

I'm not counting on anything here... I just think that a "wait-n-see-what-develops" approach works for me with this kid...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Liranzo, Clark and McGonigal at WM should be fun.

Campos there too...

Still not giving up on him yet....

AND...

I don't know when Briceno gets back... But I'd like to see him challenged at WM this year too...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I could see it happening. There are lots of ways to limit a pitcher's innings, even in MLB.

And if he hits 100 innings this year (don't forget AFL...); doesn't that mean 125-130 innings next year, starter's innings...?

I think the decision is, simply, is he ready for MLB Opening Day 2025... or not yet?

They can figure out everything else, after that...

Starters innings for SP on the Opening Day roster should be 150+.  I’m not saying he’ll stay in Toledo all season.  Just keep him there in April, limit his innings, he can be among the first call ups if/when needed.

The re-rebuild is going to be slow and incremental. Money will be spent on the margins within the risk parameters. All major improvement will mostly come from internal development.

It's going to be awhile.

27 minutes ago, casimir said:

Madden has been spectacularly awful in Toledo. 

I thought Madden had been a bit  better recently... but....

I was mistaken.

He had two good starts in June: 11 inn's, 6 hits, 1 run 1 BB 12 K's.

Outside of those two, he has a well over 2.00 WHIP at Toledo so yes, he's been atrocious.

At some point, they'll end up pushing him to middle relief like Faedo & Brieske to see if he does any better there... it looks like.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

I thought Madden had been a bit  better recently... but....

I was mistaken...

Lockhart is probably who I was thinking of... His July starts:

20 1/3 inn's, 9 hits, 3 runs, 1 HBP, 7 BB's, 28 K's.

Bring him up. Give him his MLB shot....

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

Starters innings for SP on the Opening Day roster should be 150+.  I’m not saying he’ll stay in Toledo all season.  Just keep him there in April, limit his innings, he can be among the first call ups if/when needed.

One thing in favor of him being on opening day roster is the potential draft pick bonus if he’d win ROY.  If they think he’s ready, I think they figure out his innings in Detroit for that possibility alone.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

One thing in favor of him being on opening day roster is the potential draft pick bonus if he’d win ROY.  If they think he’s ready, I think they figure out his innings in Detroit for that possibility alone.

+1

From the Fangraphs blog about today's deals... regarding Evan Silva:

As for Detroit, the decision to trade Canha feels straightforward. They’ve fallen out of the playoff race, but they didn’t want to trade Tarik Skubal (rightfully so, in my opinion). That means the only thing left to do is send out players on expiring contracts and get whatever you can for them. Canha fits that bill, and he was never going to command a huge haul, so they took what they could and moved on.

Silva is an interesting prospect, though his value is capped thanks to a switch to the bullpen last year. He needed it; a high-effort delivery means he can touch the upper 90s despite a diminutive frame, but he struggled with strike throwing in A-ball. He’s a full-time reliever in Double-A this year, and while his walk rates still aren’t pretty, he’s striking out 30% of opponents to make up for it. He has good secondary stuff and is still only 21. He might be a whiff-reliant multi-inning reliever in the majors; he was logging two-inning stints fairly often for the Giants. He’s somewhere on the 35+/40 FV borderline.

55 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Kikuchi is ranked higher in Eno's pitching plus rankings as of a couple weeks ago, fwiw.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5641710/2024/07/23/eno-sarris-mlb-starting-pitcher-rankings/

That ridiculous.  Kikuchi had a great April, solid May, and a total horror show June and July.  He’s got a 6 25 ERA in his last 11 starts.   65 hits and 39 ER in 54 IP.   2+ months of 💩 

Flaherty last 12 starts is 2.43 ERA and 51 hits and 19 ER in 70.2 IP.     The numbers aren’t even in the same atmosphere.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

That ridiculous.  Kikuchi had a great April, solid May, and a total horror show June and July.  He’s got a 6 25 ERA in his last 11 starts.   65 hits and 39 ER in 54 IP.   2+ months of 💩 

Flaherty last 12 starts is 2.43 ERA and 51 hits and 19 ER in 70.2 IP.     The numbers aren’t even in the same atmosphere.   

All based on stuff metrics, pitch shape, etc. Anybody can recite baseball reference stats.

• Like 1