2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

All based on stuff metrics, pitch shape, etc. Anybody can recite baseball reference stats.

That’s what I was trying to convey on twitter.  All these clowns bashing the deal based on these lists that are out there which don’t represent any of their own personal observations. These are just names on a screen or sheet of paper.  Organizations have their own systems of valuation. We don’t know how the other teams valued Flaherty and we don’t know how the Tigers valued everybody else.  These opinions are largely derived from things created back in February.  Yet everybody is an expert because they see a Jim Bowden tweet. 

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

All based on stuff metrics, pitch shape, etc. Anybody can recite baseball reference stats.

The stats show you what it actually is.  Stuff metrics, pitch shape, etc. show you what it can be.   Nobody can tell you exactly what it will be.     

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The stats show you what it actually is.  Stuff metrics, pitch shape, etc. show you what it can be.   Nobody can tell you exactly what it will be.     

Also, I don't really think there are any metrics that project pitcher performance really well (at last not the public data).  They have gotten better for sure, but there is still a lot of variation.  

I've found Eno's numbers have helped me find some diamonds in the rough in fantasy. They aren't perfect, but it does give a glimpse at to one reason why Kikuchi may have had more value than the general public thinks.

The medical stuff that Rosenthal brought up is the Occam's razor though. Part of me wonders if that's why the Tigers wanted to trade him at all. We've been acting like the qualifying offer would have been a no-brainer, but what if he gets shut down next week with a lumbar injury. Do you offer that guy a $21M QO?

Last 15 Starts:

Kikuchi - 76 IP 5.80 ERA 88 H 49 ER 87K

Flaherty - 88 IP 2.25 ERA 64 H 25 ER 113K

Obviously, Kikuchi hasn’t pitched to the level that his advanced metrics suggest.   He’s been terrible.  

All I’m saying is there’s got to be a point where what he’s putting out every 5th day counts more than what his stuff+ says he could be.  

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think this is too harsh. I give him a 50/50 chance.

He either figures it out.

Or he doesn't.

Finally pushed his OPS at Toledo over 800 tonight on the strength of a double and 2 BB. He's filling Malloy's empty spot as the Hen's designated walker.

It sucks to be sellers every July. Maybe they can do some buying in the offseason. I can't really fault Harris. He did what had to be done because the players haven't performed. Now they need to develop these young kids and "make them better" as he likes to say. Sure would be nice to get a couple established guys who can hit the ball over the fence though. A starter or two would be great as well.

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

It sucks to be sellers every July. Maybe they can do some buying in the offseason. I can't really fault Harris. He did what had to be done because the players haven't performed. Now they need to develop these young kids and "make them better" as he likes to say. Sure would be nice to get a couple established guys who can hit the ball over the fence though. A starter or two would be great as well.

I think pitching is going to have to be the biggest priority this offseason, both starters and BP arms. Of course that depends a lot on how Keith, Torkelson, Dingler, Malloy, Meadows and Perez all finish this season. If a just a couple three of them look like keepers, the position issues will not be as dire as they looked earlier this season.

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think pitching is going to have to be the biggest priority this offseason, both starters and BP arms. Of course that depends a lot on how Keith, Torkelson, Dingler, Malloy, Meadows and Perez all finish this season. If a just a couple three of them look like keepers, the position issues will not be as dire as they looked earlier this season.

I suspect we’ll convince a free agent pitcher who is likely only to get a one year, “prove-it” deal. Maybe two, if they don’t think Maeda can be counted on for next year’s rotation. Skubal, Olsen, Jobe, Mize are likely in.  Montero, Gipson-Long, Manning in the mix,too.

2027. We are improving up the middle with Clark, McGonigle, Rainer, Lee, good depth at catcher. We're gonna need some power in addition to develop our young pitching. We're gonna be good. But I am not sure Ilitch will ever spend. Hoping he sells soon.

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This is brutal from their own pregame team. 

eloy jimenez, yoan moncada, and luis robert are all very talented, lazy bums.

as soon as abreu left the team they all quit trying.  they dont run hard.  they dont play regularly.  they dont care.

take them on at your own risk.

3 hours ago, Timmitch55 said:

2027. We are improving up the middle with Clark, McGonigle, Rainer, Lee, good depth at catcher. We're gonna need some power in addition to develop our young pitching. We're gonna be good. But I am not sure Ilitch will ever spend. Hoping he sells soon.

He spent what 300 million just a couple offseasons ago

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also the people that bitch about the spending were spoiled by Mike and his lack of care about the bottom line.

Even if Chris were to sell the team you're not going to get an owner in here that is going to spend big given our market and overall revenue. We're not one of those teams with giant TV deals that can support a big payroll so were always going to be in the middle when it comes to spending.

At some points maybe a little higher if it appears we're on the winning trajectory and some points lower when we're further away from winning. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

13 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

It was fun watching Flaherty pitch for half a season but he's off to a quality organization so we should all be happy for him.

I’ll bid him Godspeed and everything as he walks out the door, but now that he’s on another team, I really don’t care so much how he does anymore. He’s just another pitcher like all the other pitchers on other teams now. I’m focused on Liranzo and Sweeney now.