2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I guess Im trying to convey the notion that it will take an established mlb player plus to land Skubal or no deal.  

No contender is going to trade a core part of their lineup even fir a Cy Young contender. It would have to be someone close to major league ready who is blocked.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Gleyber Torres or bust!

The other thing that I don't think people have adjusted to is that for the last several years we have been able to assume the Tigers were deep enough in starting pitching in the pipeline to be able to trade pitching. Times change - the pipeline looks like Montero,  and maybe Jobe  midseason 25 or later. Of the depth that was going to allow a trade, the probability of any of Wentz, Faedo and Manning becoming front line starters is evaporating.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

No contender is going to trade a core part of their lineup even fir a Cy Young contender. It would have to be someone close to major league ready who is blocked.

Nope. Even if you wanted to move him, an MLB for MLB trade would be an off-season one - not a deadline deal for exactly that reason. In the off-season you could swing a hitting for pitching deal.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other thing that I don't think people have adjusted to is that for the last several years we have been able to assume the Tigers were deep enough in starting pitching in the pipeline to be able to trade pitching. Times change - the pipeline looks like Montero,  and maybe Jobe  midseason 25 or later. Of the depth that was going to allow a trade, the probability of any of Wentz, Faedo and Manning becoming front line starters is evaporating.

Please tell me you're not invoking Keider Montero as the future of our rotation in the same breath as Jackson Jobe.

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Please tell me you're not invoking Keider Montero as the future of our rotation in the same breath as Jackson Jobe.

Just cataloging what's out there available for the next 12-24 mo. It's the Org's view that Montero is the next man up right now. They made the call.

Edited by gehringer_2

51 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Yankees are struggling and they desperately need starting pitching. Do they have a young SS or 3rd baseman blocked? I don't know their system at all.

On 6/26/2024 at 5:52 PM, RedTeamGo! said:

Have you taken a look at the 2020 draft recently? Tork has been bad so far, but every team in baseball takes him with the number 1 pick that year. That was the COVID draft, teams were basically flying blind because there was little to no scouting going on. They were going off old data from the previous season, and Tork was looking like a sure thing based on what he did in 2019. With hindsight being 20/20 who do you take with the number 1 pick that draft? Garrett Crochet, I guess? There’s no way anyone would have taken him with the number 1 pick that year. No way. 

I think Avila stunk, but using Tork’s career bWAR as evidence is kind of silly IMHO. There’s plenty of other ammo for that particular argument.

The 2020 draft is so weird to me, the reds took a kid with the 12th pick that had tons of power and now in 2024 he’s stuck in AA with a .600 OPS. At least Tork will have a major league career, ha. 

with all that said, I’m hoping the Reds are the team the Tigers trade Tork to. I could see him hitting 40 bombs in GABP.

Well said. People who complain about Tork don't understand he was the choice for being a #1-1 pick by most publications. I always say it was bad luck for the Tigers to have the 1st pick when there wasn't a multi-talented player to draft. No Bobby Witt Jr for us! And he was taken 2nd?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Yankees are struggling and they desperately need starting pitching. Do they have a young SS or 3rd baseman blocked? I don't know their system at all.

They just got Gerrit Cole back so desperation may wane a little - although he did get banged around in his second start -

Yes, I had thought of it before, the NYY and Tigers 'seem' to lineup a little in terms of needs. Thinking combo's from Detroit: JFlaherty, Tork, JJung and maybe another 'not' Top 5 prospect for OF JDominguez and SS OPeraza or Lombard Jr. and a young SP.

NYY gets: a SP for this years run, a future 1B (perhaps now, Rizzo on IL and not performing well so far before) and maybe they are good with Tork and less pressure on him in that lineup and a future LHB power bat 2B in Jung (Torres, bad year so far is FA after this year).

Detroit gets: A future SH power hitting OF. Yes, many may think he is untouchable - but we did so last year with Tork. A highly touted young athletic SS/INF. Lombard Jr is that now and Peraza has been a top 100 the last couple years.

NY may lose a bit advantage in negotiating with Soto - but in the end they would still be the favorites to sign him. They also like Verdugo (another FA but likes it there) and have other OF prospects. 

NY is SS heavy with prospects and we are 2B heavy. There is some sense here... at least enough to 'dream it up', lol.

Edited by alex

11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

hard to believe NYY would trade Dominguez if they were not getting Skubal

if you want Peraza, just wait a few weeks and claim him on waivers

Yeah, they may not want to trade him at all. Yet, one year ago the same could of been said of Tork - who had perhaps just as high value (or more) recently.

IMHO, you are not getting Peraza off waivers anytime soon. He was a Top 100 (pipeline) for two years ('22 & '23). He just turned 24, has had injuries this year and is a SS (who is blocked and others are in the NYY system as well). He has had barely 200 ABs in the majors. Besides, if he hit waivers, there are teams in front of us that would snag him in a NY second.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'll offer a crazy trade:

To the Orioles:

Skubal, Colt Keith, and they choose 1 of Baddoo, Malloy, or Perez

To the Tigers:

Jackson Holliday, Coby Mayo, and Sam Basallo.

Definitely smoking some high end stuff.  Why would the Orioles make that trade?  Keith and the other 3 guys wouldn't even remotely be close to making the Orioles roster.  

And they aren't trading the #1 prospect.

21 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Definitely smoking some high end stuff.  Why would the Orioles make that trade?  Keith and the other 3 guys wouldn't even remotely be close to making the Orioles roster.  

I wouldn’t make it for the Tigers.

3 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

For a Cy Young candidate? Yes they would. They would take Keith at 2B. And if no on an extra OF'er, then take a reliever of their choice instead.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I wouldn’t make it for the Tigers.

This is probably closer to accurate.

This is from the Yankees writer for the Athletic. 

Yankees get: RHP Jack Flaherty

Tigers get: OF Everson Pereira, SS Oswald Peraza, RHP Clayton Beeter

The Yankees could use another starting pitcher. It’s not their biggest need but adding Flaherty would give them another option if Luis Gil ends up seeing his workload reduced, or if Carlos Rodón’s poor underlying metrics continue to catch up with him and he becomes a less-trusted option. Flaherty has been one of MLB’s best strikeout artists this season and he’s massively improved his command compared to last year with St. Louis and Baltimore. The Tigers could use more power. Pereira is out for the season after undergoing elbow surgery. He should make a full recovery. When healthy, he has 20-plus home run potential if he can control the zone better. Beeter profiles as a reliever long term but the 25-year-old has started in the minors with the Yankees. — Kirschner

Bowden: Based on what I’m hearing from opposing GMs, the Yankees are not looking to add another starting pitcher as they are happy with their group which includes Gerrit Cole, Gil, Rodón, Marcus Stroman, Cortes, and Clarke Schmidt. The industry believes if the Yankees trade from their farm system it will be to improve at second base, third base or in the bullpen.