2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Do you mean to say you think Liranzo is not producing? Because he is slashing .220/.344/.356, good for a wRC+ of 105, in his age 20 season in a Midwest League he is young for by -2.3 years. If this is what you mean by "not producing", then, man, tough crowd here.

It's statement of general principle. And to be brutally realistic there is no tougher gauntlet in sports than getting through the minors to the majors  - you do have to exceed the average performance of your MiLB level at each level significantly if you have any chance. In Liranzo's case the fact that he is young is certainly in his favor, but it's the same thing, if you are not outperforming your MiLB peers by age, you probably aren't getting to the majors either. Liranzo did that in low A, no question so he's on track there. RC 105 at high A means he may not be enough above average to get out of that level for at least part of another year - so he may lose one of those years of advantage by however long he is there next season.

Edited by gehringer_2

32 minutes ago, syrett4 said:

Nope.  I read Mayo and Basallo were DOA proposals.   Baltimore is still prospect hugging.  They haven't felt the need to put all of their chips in yet.  If they win the WS this year, they may have been right.  If they get bounced, maybe they develop some intestinal fortitude this winter and call Harris to get Skubal and make that offer. 

I don't think you can build for the World Series.  You can only build to get into the playoffs as often as possible and hope you win the whole thing some year.  Since the Orioles can probably make the playoffs the next few years without Skubal., it makes sense that they would not trade multiple young players to get him.   Dombrowski went all in for stars and it made the team better but didn't get him a World Series.   It made more sense in his case though because he never had the kind of young core that was going to win consisently without making big acquisitions.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Hey now, I was just answering your question...... 😏

But in the offseason, after they get bounced in the first round of the playoffs because their starters couldn't handle it.... Yep! 😋

That's fine. That's the trade you would make for them.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's fine. That's the trade you would make for them.

Allows them to keep Holiday. They have enough IF prospects to cover 3B (plus you have Urias right now) and they don't really need Basallo either. Povich is replaced/upgraded by Skubal. It seems like such a great fit for both teams.......

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Take a look at our Fangraphs Scouting + STATS! prospect ratings look now.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2024-in-season-prospect-list?org=det

image.thumb.png.41eb5457012d6e86d21b8a5de013b471.png

Honest question for the pessimists: does this serve only to demonstrate that our system is not as strong as we all thought it was yesterday morning?

It definitely is depressing..... Only one potential Above average player in our whole organization (and barely at that)........ Sheeeesh. MLB had us 5th to start the year: https://www.mlb.com/news/farm-system-rankings-2024-preseason

18 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think you can build for the World Series.  You can only build to get into the playoffs as often as possible and hope you win the whole thing some year.

Agreed. Winning a WS (or any particular playoff series) often comes down to how two teams match up, and you can't spend too much energy trying to figure out how to build a team for a match-up that is unknowable before the season starts. Normally your best shot is still to build to win your division and let the chips fall where they may in the playoffs. The randomizing drivers in baseball are so high that anything can and does happen in a short series.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Take a look at our Fangraphs Scouting + STATS! prospect ratings look now.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2024-in-season-prospect-list?org=det

image.thumb.png.41eb5457012d6e86d21b8a5de013b471.png

Honest question for the pessimists: does this serve only to demonstrate that our system is not as strong as we all thought it was yesterday morning?

Top 5 looks very solid. After that, I see 2 guys I have hope for. So no, the overall system is not strong. But I wasn't one who ever bought into that to begin with.

14 hours ago, buddha said:

tigers got A- grades from the athletic for the trade.

how dare we get an A- grade.  fire his overrated ass.

It's about as meaningful as nfl draft grades the day after.  It means nothing at all.

3 minutes ago, ICroupier said:

Top 5 looks very solid. After that, I see 2 guys I have hope for. So no, the overall system is not strong. But I wasn't one who ever bought into that to begin with.

Having McGonigle below Madden, Melton, and Sweeny doesn't make any sense to me.  And not having Hamm in the top 20?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ICroupier said:

I don't care how strong the MiLB system is generally, only that it has the the 1-3 stars in it that will actually turn into impact players in the majors. We may have that right now in Clark, Jobe, McGonigle but they need one or two guy from this draft to break out at the bottom of the system as these guys move up.

7 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

This is just some schmo making broad assumptions based on rumor and innuendo from other people also making broad assumptions. The availability of these pseudo publications and "anybody can have a podcast" platforms elevates them to a position they don't deserve so fans think they have some behind the scene perspectives.  They have as much insight as anybody posting on this site, meaning what they read on the twitter.  

Like... maybe the reservations the Yankees had were also held by all the other teams, hence the "lower" deal that ultimately was had? (I'm not conceding they were but I'll go along with their argument to make my point)  Flaherty has pitched well this year and I would have been fine keeping him and I'd be fine having him next year and the year after... but he's also a guy with an injury history in the past, was benched last year in the playoffs, and missed a start recently and had two injections...  so tell me again why he was supposed to bring in ML ready prospects? 

Outrage sells and gets the clicks.  

• Like 1

Just now, 4hzglory said:

Having McGonigle below Madden, Melton, and Sweeny doesn't make any sense to me.  And not having Hamm in the top 20?

It's one source; I like FG because they usually are less positive than MLB Pipeline so it tempers expectations. That being said they also said Reese Olson was a 40FV starter so I look to them as a lower bounds of FV.

I was critical of Harris last year and I can understand the sites that are critical this year but I'm happy with the trades he made. I would have preferred to just bring back Chafin but it's tough to pass up two good young arms for him. Harris keeps adding talent to the organization. I think the 40 man roster next year will be significantly improved over this year.

58 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So wait a minute: are you saying a successful GM would trade Jobe and Clark and Jung and McGonigle to get an established player we need to pay a big salary to? Do I have that straight?

No, a successful GM makes a boatload of money for a billionaire owner. And keeps the fans hopes alive for producing a winner....in the future...always 2 or 3 years away.

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't care how strong the MiLB system is generally, only that it has the the 1-3 stars in it that will actually turn into impact players in the majors. We may have that right now in Clark, Jobe, McGonigle but they need one or two guy from this draft to break out at the bottom of the system as these guys move up.

Yeah, it's the lower draft picks that come out of nowhere that proves a good draft. Skubal and Collins were very good late picks.

Detroit Tigers
Not big losers, but I felt like the collective return the Tigers got for Chafin, Kelly and even Flaherty was a little light. Detroit seems very close to having a breakout season before long, but it feels like I've been writing this for a few years. Anyway, dealing Flaherty and his expiring deal was probably the top to-do item at the deadline and they got that done.

Bradford Doolitle - ESPN

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

You mean like trading for Guillen and Polanco?

A successful Detroit baseball GM is all I have to go on. DD made many successful moves, trades and free agent signings, that made us a contender year after year. Hopefully Harris does the same. I will say DD had a lot of money to work with, but he was pretty good at evaluating talent and getting it here. Emptying the farm system for expensive proven players actually worked. But like we all know, the Tigers had one of the highest payroll at that time. That success is fleeting...

17 minutes ago, kdog said:

Bradford Doolitle - ESPN

If this guy is writing that he’s been saying the Tigers have been close to having a breakout season for years, including last year and the final few Avila years, then I have my doubts about his analysis chops.

• Like 2