2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

6 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

3 spots on the 40 man roster open by my count unless I’m missing something.

Any reason not to add Jung and call him up and let him run at 3B so we can use Vierling more in LF/CF to help spell Riley?

besides he sucks at third .893 fielding %

Edited by Toddwert

6 hours ago, syrett4 said:

What are the rules regarding the moves they can still make?   Does anyone have clarity on the rules after the deadline?  

Some guys on MLB teams should be DFA/reassigned today and exposing them to waiver claims (Eddys Leonard last season) 2006 Sean Casey, and I think they can still trade minor league guys not on the 40 man?   Am I wrong about that?  Am I missing another way they can still acquire talent this season?

Waiver traded were banned a few years ago. Only players not on the 40 man can be dealt.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

In fairness, he’s learning the position. Might benefit from the major league coaching.

for as much as people complain, Keith is probably going better at 2nd than Jung is at 3rd. I don't think that is how the Tiger brain trust thought it was going to go down.

21 hours ago, 4hzglory said:

One thing in favor of him being on opening day roster is the potential draft pick bonus if he’d win ROY.  If they think he’s ready, I think they figure out his innings in Detroit for that possibility alone.

That’s true, but I’m more interested in him being ready for the quality of batters he’ll face and lasting the season without burning out.

Not sure if anyone else saw a sobering stat on mlbtv - over the past decade approx 600 prospects have been traded. About 11% of them have been contributors at the mlb level, and 3% have been impact players. Looks like the rebuild will take at least 2-3 more years. Been a fan for 52 years, but fan fatigue has set in

1 hour ago, papalawrence said:

Not sure if anyone else saw a sobering stat on mlbtv - over the past decade approx 600 prospects have been traded. About 11% of them have been contributors at the mlb level, and 3% have been impact players. Looks like the rebuild will take at least 2-3 more years. Been a fan for 52 years, but fan fatigue has set in

I'm there with ya, 55 years here, but maybe we give the new guy a chance before we throw in the towel.

• Like 1

Looking at the MLB 30 ranking with Smith, Campos, Santana, Graham and Mattison taking the last five spots. All but Mattison were top 15 a year or two ago with expectations they could take that leap. Now it's looking possible but unlikely for the 5 and a few will drop off when the drafts picks are added.  

Anyway, I tried to remember who got dropped when the trade deadline prospects were added.  Can't recall.

1 hour ago, papalawrence said:

So statistically, Avila did good on the Verlander trade.  🙃

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm there with ya, 55 years here, but maybe we give the new guy a chance before we throw in the towel.

Even the good ones don't generally have high success rates in trading proven players for prospects at the deadline though. It's better to get something than nothing, but the teams receiving the proven players usually have the upper hand.  

52 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Even the good ones don't generally have high success rates in trading proven players for prospects at the deadline though. It's better to get something than nothing, but the teams receiving the proven players usually have the upper hand.  

The Tigers have actually hit on a fair number of these deals (Candelario, Paredes, Lange, Olson, Sawyer-Long, Rogers) and yet they can't seem to solve the issues that keep putting them into sell mode. One can hope that next year is last of these deadline deal player dumps. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

DD understands this better than most 

5 minutes ago, papalawrence said:

DD understands this better than most 

DD could have been forgiven for trading prospects if he had done the companion work to get the scouting, drafting, and development science deployed to the minor league system so that the Tigers' pipeline would replenish after his trades. It wasn't the trades themselves as much as his lack of attention to the development end. The system didn't have to be barren just because he had traded a few guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For all the talk of how DD left the farm system barren, I think the real discussion is how he left the Avila regime plenty of assets to be used to restock the farm only for Avila to absolutely piss it all away.  

McCann/Miggy/Kinsler/Iglesias/Castellanos/JD/V-Mart/Verlander/Sanchez/K-Rod/Alex Wilson/etc.

Got turned into a whole lot of nothing.  If we didn’t waffle around those first few years of the Avila regime and actually committed to a strategy, maybe we could’ve restocked the farm system appropriately.  

On top of squandering the assets we had by either settling for less in trades or just letting guys walk, the draft strategy sucked too.  From 2016-2019 we drafted a grand total of 5 players that we got to the big leagues. DD drafts were regularly getting us 2-4 per year.

Harris already has appeared to draft a lot better than Avila did, and has actually taken measures to improve our minor league facilities and international scouting.  

13 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I think the real discussion is how he left the Avila regime plenty of assets to be used to restock the farm only for Avila to absolutely piss it all away.

But Detroit's system was miles behind in data, tech, training, coaching, International, everything. Avila wasting all the team's current assets was undoubted huge. But it was not the only thing that left them in a hole for so long. How many more picks might have turned into something and helped the Tigers avoid the length and depth of this collapse we'll never know. Not that Al exactly got much fixed very well, but he at least recognized the problem and has to be giving credit for beginning the move to modernity, and also getting the owner on board with that being the needed direction.

I think Mike is just as much to blame as Avila for how things went. It wasn't Avila's decision to sell guys in 2015 only to then turn around and "go for it" and sign guys like Upton and Zimmermann. 

Mike didn't decide to throw in the towel until JV was at his lowest value, JD was a rental and Kinsler was past his prime. Knowing Avila we still wouldn't have gotten anything but if he could've went full rebuild after 2015 and traded JD with 2 full years of control, Kinsler with 2 more years of control and coming off a 3rd straight 5 WAR season and a younger JV he certainly would've gotten a better return. 

Whether those guys would've panned out is another story but I can almost guarantee that there would've been much more demand. 

On 7/31/2024 at 3:47 PM, monkeytargets39 said:

3 spots on the 40 man roster open by my count unless I’m missing something.

Any reason not to add Jung and call him up and let him run at 3B so we can use Vierling more in LF/CF to help spell Riley?

I'd like to see Jung too but he's not rule 5 eligible until December 2025. There's going to be limited spots on the 40 man roster this winter so I doubt we'll see him. After Guenther and Hanifee were called up today, it looks like we'll see fringe guys getting opportunities. Guys who are minor league free agents if they're not on the roster. Not exciting, but Harris has been trying to retain people like this all season.