A Good Walk Spoiled - The Golf Thread

I did want to point out Bryson is a pandering phony. Point A is that he claimed his old hat was a Stewart tribute, but for years said it had to do with Ben Hogan. Everything I have heard either through podcasts or through people I know with the tour says he treats people like absolute garbage.

Don't fall for the facade.

On 6/15/2024 at 5:58 PM, Hongbit said:

LIV is barely a blip on the radar anymore.  I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the last season and for sure next year if not.   It was a giant money grab that will in the long run turn out to be a win win for everyone.   The defectors will get back on tour at some point soon with a bunch more coin in their pockets.  The PGA tour was forced to make a bunch of positive changes to its model in response to LIV that probably never would’ve happened otherwise.   It probably will be the end of the Jay Monaghan era too and that’s a great thing for everyone. 

What a difference a week makes…

I can hardly believe it myself but here we are and Bryson DeChambeau is the most popular golfer in the world.    Crazy.  LIV was dead in the water before Pinehurst and a few missed gimmes and an amazing sand shot has given them life.  They are maybe in the best shape they’ve ever been. Nobody is watching on their crap TV deal but the crowds look big and alive at their Nashville stop this week.   

The bigger news may be there was no expected announcement of the PGA/PIF deal this week.   Lots of rumors that it may not even be happening now.  That would be a big problem for the PGA.  Not sure they win a money war against the Saudis especially if their top players aren’t on their best game.    It would be another a huge blow if a LIV golfer can win the British Open.  Jon Rahm is going to get healthy and find his game sometime soon.   It better not be him at Troon.    

On 6/19/2024 at 8:26 PM, Edman85 said:

I did want to point out Bryson is a pandering phony. Point A is that he claimed his old hat was a Stewart tribute, but for years said it had to do with Ben Hogan. Everything I have heard either through podcasts or through people I know with the tour says he treats people like absolute garbage.

Don't fall for the facade.

PGA commish Jay Monahan is so much more of a phony.  He’s so shady that it’s shocking to believe that he’s not the tour in bed with Trump.   They are con men of the same kind.    Someone is going to make a documentary about him and all the behind scenes stuff will come out and people will be shocked at what he was able to control and manipulate.  He’s done such damage to the tour.   A better leader and the tour isn’t in this situation fighting for their future but Jay is still at the helm and his bank account is bigger than ever.  

9 hours ago, Hongbit said:

PGA commish Jay Monahan is so much more of a phony.  He’s so shady that it’s shocking to believe that he’s not the tour in bed with Trump.   They are con men of the same kind.    Someone is going to make a documentary about him and all the behind scenes stuff will come out and people will be shocked at what he was able to control and manipulate.  He’s done such damage to the tour.   A better leader and the tour isn’t in this situation fighting for their future but Jay is still at the helm and his bank account is bigger than ever.  

No disagreement here. Are you up on some of the resignations last summer? I got some inside info there from behind the moat that were particularly juicy. It helps to live 15 minutes from Tour HQ.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

No disagreement here. Are you up on some of the resignations last summer? I got some inside info there from behind the moat that were particularly juicy. It helps to live 15 minutes from Tour HQ.

Only the internet rumors for me.  Nothing inside but figured lots of it had to do with him fighting for his job. 

It’s a terrible thing to say because mental health is very serious but I have real doubts if his leave of absence was really that and not a forced step away for bad behavior.  

8 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Only the internet rumors for me.  Nothing inside but figured lots of it had to do with him fighting for his job. 

It’s a terrible thing to say because mental health is very serious but I have real doubts if his leave of absence was really that and not a forced step away for bad behavior.  

There was a love triangle that completely blew up VP Levels of the Tour.

• Haha 1

Another rough day for two of the PGA’s young talented stars.  Akshay Bhatia can’t close for the second week in a row.  This time Rorying a 4 footer to force playoff

Cam Young has so much game in the bag but lacking the mental side.  There’s a reason he’s a 7time runner up that’s looking for his first win.   He hit a bad drive with the lead on 14 and breaks his driver in a fit of rage and had to finish without it.  He was +2 after that and finished tied for 6th. 

On a positive the course at Detroit Golf Club looked great and played harder than the course at the Signature event at the Travelers last week.  

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Tiger stinking it up again at the British.   +13 and in 151st place with a few more holes to go in round 2.

He needs a CrowdStrike sponsorship on his hat.  

His flight to DTW was already booked after yesterday. He'll be in town watching his son play. 

On 7/20/2024 at 2:14 PM, CMRivdogs said:

I'm about to take up the game after 30 plus years. I only dabbed with it then. Picked up a set of "Senior" clubs. Just waiting until the "Feels like" temps drop below 105 before hitting the driving range.

It’s one of the most rewarding and at the same time frustrating things in my life  

Politics aside, Trump can golf pretty well for his age.

Also, why does Bryson run a Youtube channel?  I just figured that would be small potatoes for a guy like him.   But I suppose it means more money from his sponsors if he has a million YT followers.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Politics aside, Trump can golf pretty well for his age.

Also, why does Bryson run a Youtube channel?  I just figured that would be small potatoes for a guy like him.   But I suppose it means more money from his sponsors if he has a million YT followers.  

The YouTube channel was huge for him turning his image around from the uncool side of the Koepka feud to huge fan favorite despite being on LIV.    

I can’t imagine a worse person to play with than Trump.  Massive ego, will blatantly cheat whenever he can, and doesn’t think anything of the rules or etiquette of the game.  Not a chance of him actually paying you if he loses a bet.  None of that is political and pertains directly to what has been documented on his golf game.  

Edited by Hongbit

Came back to golf this year after about 20 years away.  When/why did courses stop putting water out?  I assume it's so they can sell you the $4 bottle of water.  Funny thing is, I still see all the old stands for the water jugs on the courses.  They just sit empty.

21 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Came back to golf this year after about 20 years away.  When/why did courses stop putting water out?  I assume it's so they can sell you the $4 bottle of water.  Funny thing is, I still see all the old stands for the water jugs on the courses.  They just sit empty.

Covid.

Posted (edited)

Superstar with a final round 62 for the gold!   4 under on the last 5 holes.     Rahm had a 4 shot lead over Xander at the turn and they went 39 and 38 on the back.    

Edited by Hongbit

I read good things about the Callaway pre-owned site.  I ordered a "like new" Paradym 7 wood from them and it came still in the shrink wrap with stickers/tags on the shaft like it was never used.  Not a single mark on the head, no scuff marks at all.  99% sure it was a brand new club.

They also offer a 15 day money back guarantee if you are unhappy with the condition.  You can just print up the return label from UPS and send it back.  It also has a manufacturer warranty good for a year I believe.

One very small downside is it comes with a generic "Paradym" head cover.  So if you order a driver and a few fairway woods they all look the same.  But you could come up with something fairly easy to help identify which club is which.