6/17/24 7:20PM Tigers @ Braves

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think for both it was more of a 50/50 call than it was definitive yes or no.  Candelario had seen success, but also failure.  He was only on the hook for one more season at most.  Castro was still young and cheap, but had his issues.

And who knows, maybe they needed a fresh start elsewhere for themselves anyway.  Maybe they don't see success if they stay in Detroit.  But then that begs the question, what's going on in Detroit?

Candelario had shown that he could be a very good hitter across multiple seasons so I thought he deserved another look. Willi was actually better under the hood in 2022 than his surface stats were and, despite the anecdotal rage regularly expressed here, was showing proficiency at multiple positions. Ultimately neither would make us playoff team now, but both would be useful pieces if for no other reason than they could be trade chips now.

As for what's going on in Detroit—I'm not sure any hitter would want to come here anytime soon. Notable exceptions notwithstanding, the Tigers have looked like the team where hitters go to die for a few years now.

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

As for what's going on in Detroit—I'm not sure any hitter would want to come here anytime soon. Notable exceptions notwithstanding, the Tigers have looked like the team where hitters go to die for a few years now.

People will want to blame it on Comerica - but the ballpark gave us two batting champions and and a triple crown in a lot fewer years than old Tiger Stadium, a supposed great hitters park, ever did. The biggest problem with Copa has been who's playing there.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

People will want to blame it on Comerica - but the ballpark gave us two batting champions and and a triple crown in a lot fewer years than old Tiger Stadium, a supposed great hitters park, ever did. The biggest problem with Copa has been who's playing there.

You misspelled “coaching”. 😉

I wonder whether there might be a perception-is-reality thing going on,