6/19/24 12:20PM Tigers @ Braves

So let me get this straight. 13 runs on Saturday and 5 home runs. Then the next 4 games, no more than 1 run with only 3 extra base hits and no home runs. it's enough to keep me up nights. Can't believe the team is worse now without Baez, as well.

Edited by Klondike
  • Thanks 1

Akil Baddoo is not a major league player.   Enough already.   Try something else.   Try anything else.   Just stop with him. 

This idea that Kreidler could be the SS if we got rid of Baez is laughable.   He's not good (and this is his longest healthy stretch in a few years,  waiting for the injury any minute now).   I don't care if Zack McKinstry hits lefthanded because he can't hit anyway, so why does it matter which side of the plate he stands on.     This OBP Machine Malloy needs a repairman.   The bottom half of this lineup is bollocks.     Can we please try something else............ANYTHING ELSE?      PLEASE?  

The folks that coach hitting on this team.   Why are their jobs so safe?   

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Akil Baddoo is not a major league player.   Enough already.   Try something else.   Try anything else.   Just stop with him. 

This idea that Kreidler could be the SS if we got rid of Baez is laughable.   He's not good (and this is his longest healthy stretch in a few years,  waiting for the injury any minute now).   I don't care if Zack McKinstry hits lefthanded because he can't hit anyway, so why does it matter which side of the plate he stands on.     This OBP Machine Malloy needs a repairman.   The bottom half of this lineup is bollocks.     Can we please try something else............ANYTHING ELSE?      PLEASE?  

The folks that coach hitting on this team.   Why are their jobs so safe?   

There isn't any one else to try.  That is the price of handing the organization over to someone as incompetent as Avila.  

The hitting coaches are a low hanging fruit, but a hitting coach can only do so much.  They can't just make someone have talent.  

You can give the greatest chef in history rotten meat and just a lighter... and the food will taste like bleep 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Article in the Free Press this morning showed how bad the Tigers SS are doing this season offensively. The absolutely worst in history and it's not even close.

And this with Ray Oyler going 0 for August AND September in 1968.  

Enough with Kreidler.  He had his one good game.  He's done. 

There has to be an available shortstop out there that is better than Kreidler & McKinstry.  It's not statisically possible there isn't.  You'd be asking someone to be a .215 hitter............that's it.     But this is Hinch's guy, right.    Gotta stick with his guy.  

Please explain why Hinch is seemingly so untouchable.    I know the groceries aren't great, but he's not even making prison-level chow with them.   

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And this with Ray Oyler going 0 for August AND September in 1968.  

Enough with Kreidler.  He had his one good game.  He's done. 

There has to be an available shortstop out there that is better than Kreidler & McKinstry.  It's not statisically possible there isn't.  You'd be asking someone to be a .215 hitter............that's it.     But this is Hinch's guy, right.    Gotta stick with his guy.  

Please explain why Hinch is seemingly so untouchable.    I know the groceries aren't great, but he's not even making prison-level chow with them.   

Oh, it's not just historic in Tiger history. It's the worst in MLB history. And from what the said, it's not even close.

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Because Hinch has more years on his contract and Ilitch isn't going to pay two salaries at the same time foe a manager.

Unfortunate time for the Tigers to play in Atlanta....Myself and my son were at all 3 games. All 3 games the players looked lifeless on the field and in the dugout. They have all packed it in as well as Hinch. The way he is managing the playing time is absurd. The Braves looked like a MLB team playing a college team.

• Sad 1

Hinch is not the problem as a manger per se, he may be a problem if what he and/or the org in general believes about hitting has become obsoleted by the most recent evolutions in the game.

Just spitballing here but with HRs and batting avgs in particular down so much everywhere we may be looking at contact hitting becoming the next comparative advantage. That would be a shift from where the org has been recently.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, RaceDog said:

Unfortunate time for the Tigers to play in Atlanta....Myself and my son were at all 3 games. All 3 games the players looked lifeless on the field and in the dugout. They have all packed it in as well as Hinch. The way he is managing the playing time is absurd. The Braves looked like a MLB team playing a college team.

Hinch is proving, that without cheating, his managerial skills are on par with his mlb hitting abilities.

The sad thing Hinch's career OPS at .636 is higher than Torkelson, Keith, Baez, and Rogers this season.  That shows you how awful these hitters are.

Edited by tiger2022

Given how bad this offense is and how many holes there are on this team, with no apparent way out with the current player pipeline, I'd say Harris needs to see if he can get a haul of top end prospects to actually fill out the core via a Skubal trade...but then again, I really dont trust Harris to not have an Avila-esque trade and step on his own petard and land on his face.

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

8 singles + 1 BB + 2 stolen bases = zippo runs

they literally are not good at anything

runs on road trip: 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 13

And that’s kind of an extreme version of how they find themselves only a bit below league average in runs scored per game.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

In our defense, it’s not like we’re the Chicago White Sox, but that’s not bunch of defense. This is really pitiful.

Sox up next. Hopefully the Tigers do prove they are better this weekend, but I'm concerned.

2 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

Given how bad this offense is and how many holes there are on this team, with no apparent way out with the current player pipeline, I'd say Harris needs to see if he can get a haul of top end prospects to actually fill out the core via a Skubal trade...but then again, I really dont trust Harris to not have an Avila-esque trade and step on his own petard and land on his face.

Trading present tense productive players for even top prospects is usually a loser, especially the way teams are valuing them now. IIRC Verdugo was a  top prospect in baseball. Red Sox gave up Betts for him, Betts is still an all-star, Verdugo is a journeyman and not even with the BoSox. White Sox tried the same and got nowhere. When it comes to all-star baseball players there is no replacement for the bird in hand. At the time we thought we got a decent return for Verlander, in the end not so much. If you had given up an all start in trade to TB for the consensus best prospect in a generation in Wander Franco, it still would have blown up in your face. Until a guy proves he can play and stay in the majors, he remains a crapshoot.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

Having seen Malloy try to hit MLB pitching for a stretch...I'm going to declare Atlanta the winners in the Jiminez deal

Malloy is the example for why every stat has value when applied correctly. BA is practically an orphan today, but it was his lack of BA in AAA that was a signal that despite a good OPS, Malloy might struggle in the majors. Obviously I hope he can find a way to make the jump, but he's showing he's not the sure thing some thought he could be.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Among players on the Tigers with more than 150PA, Riley Greene has the higest K rate, and twice the o_WAR of the next best hitter.

Probably feels he needs to carry the team. Personally I can live with an high k rate if the OPS is north of .800