2024 Pistons Head Coach Search

I thought Detroit was a great job for a new GM. It is a terrible job for a new coach. 

Least amount of talent in the league. High draft picks management will want played even tho they are bad. Rookie GM with no prior experience. 

Big pass if I'm an up and coming assistant.

Who are the four factions inside the organization that can't get on the same page? Team Gores, Team Tellem, Team Langdon, ??? I feel like anyone not on Langdon's page or anyone who stands in the way of Langdon making the moves he wants should be broomed out with the previous administration and front office.

43 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Who are the four factions inside the organization that can't get on the same page? Team Gores, Team Tellem, Team Langdon, ??? I feel like anyone not on Langdon's page or anyone who stands in the way of Langdon making the moves he wants should be broomed out with the previous administration and front office.

4th team was the coach, who was obviously not on the same page as the rest of the org.

again, dysfuntion and disorganization comes from bad ownership.

• Like 2

Can someone with more hoops knowledge then me give me the good and bad on Chris Quinn. He seems like a highly regarded and up and coming assistant coach they would fit where we're going. He comes from a successful franchise in Miami and has seemingly had a decent hand in their player development down there. 

Is the Erik Spoelstra coaching tree good, middling, Bill Belichick-level unimpressive?

I can't get the tweet to post. But ESPN saying Detroit had permission to interview Dallas assistant Sean Sweeney and Minnesota assistant Micah Nori.

They are also supposed to interview JB Bickerstaff.

Bickerstaff is terrible. He would be a disaster.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Can someone with more hoops knowledge then me give me the good and bad on Chris Quinn. He seems like a highly regarded and up and coming assistant coach they would fit where we're going. He comes from a successful franchise in Miami and has seemingly had a decent hand in their player development down there. 

Is the Erik Spoelstra coaching tree good, middling, Bill Belichick-level unimpressive?

Unfortunately, it's really hard to predict when it comes to an assistant. How much is he really responsible for? How much has he learned? Same questions we had with Weaver working under Presti or Landgon working under Griffin. You never truly know.

What we do know is that he is very highly regarded around the league and most reports say that he will be a head coach at some point soon. He's been learning under the guy that most people consider to the best coach in the NBA right now. Also, "Heat culture" is something that many teams wish they had, especially in Detroit where the fans would love a return to something that feels like the "Going to Work" era.

He'd be a gamble, just like any assistant without a proven record as a head coach. You're hoping that the apple doesn't fall from the tree. It's not a guarantee, but the alternative is to go get a re-tread who failed and got fired at least once before.

Edited by Betrayer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I can't get the tweet to post. But ESPN saying Detroit had permission to interview Dallas assistant Sean Sweeney and Minney?sota assistant Micah Nori.

They are also supposed to interview JB Bickerstaff.

Bickerstaff is terrible. He would be a disaster.

Is he? Why? He completely turned that team around and that was before the Mitchell trade. His firing didn't seem to performance related, it seemed to be because Altman got in a confrontation with him that Altman started if the rumors are to be believed. I thought Cleveland did well against Boston considering how shorthanded they were.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Is he? Why? He completely turned that team around and that was before the Mitchell trade. His firing didn't seem to performance related, it seemed to be because Altman got in a confrontation with him that Altman started if the rumors are to be believed. I thought Cleveland did well against Boston considering how shorthanded they were.

Piston fans say he turned it around. Others say they just kept adding talent. Sexton and Garland were both there, Allen too I think. Added Mobley the next year. You know, a proper rebuild. 

Their offense was terrible. He completely misused Mobley by trying to make him a back to the basket big. He thrives facing up.

But his biggest problem was losing the locker room. It's instantly over for any coach that does that.

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Piston fans say he turned it around. Others say they just kept adding talent. Sexton and Garland were both there, Allen too I think. Added Mobley the next year. You know, a proper rebuild. 

Their offense was terrible. He completely misused Mobley by trying to make him a back to the basket big. He thrives facing up.

But his biggest problem was losing the locker room. It's instantly over for any coach that does that.

The Pistons added talent too but got worse every year. Not all talent is built the same but you still have to mold the talent to fit together, it's not like they had any superstars to carry the team/coach. He inherited a 19 win team and win 44 two seasons later so he must have done something right.

I thought the whole locker room issue was Altman confronting Bickerstaff about some disagreement (don't remember what). I didn't hear about any player dissention.

In any event, I wouldn't be over the moon about his hiring but I don't see anything on his resume that would scream "disaster". Of all the available options, he's won more than all of them.

9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The Pistons added talent too but got worse every year. Not all talent is built the same but you still have to mold the talent to fit together, it's not like they had any superstars to carry the team/coach. He inherited a 19 win team and win 44 two seasons later so he must have done something right.

I thought the whole locker room issue was Altman confronting Bickerstaff about some disagreement (don't remember what). I didn't hear about any player dissention.

In any event, I wouldn't be over the moon about his hiring but I don't see anything on his resume that would scream "disaster". Of all the available options, he's won more than all of them.

You don't lose over 80% of your games if you have talent.  The Pistons added a guy who was the #7 pick, was cut in year 4, and nobody picked him up.  Think about that.  Every single contender in the league wants depth.  Every team can sign a guy to a vets minimum.  Nobody touched him.  Duren and Ivey are not that level of bad, but Pistons fan really overrate them.

Cleveland made a big jump the year they drafted Mobley and traded for Markkenan.  Then they just flatlined, even after obtaining Mitchell.  He hasn't molded anything.  Garland is lazy and doesn't play D.  Mitchell is a decent offensive player, but brutal on D.  When Drummond was there, they tried to run the offense through him.  Totally misuses Mobley.  Not a lot of accountability for certain players.

Actually, he does sound like a Pistons coach.

• Haha 2

Bickerstaff doesn't excite me for  all the reasons already mentioned. I'm sure he'd be better than Monty, but probably on par with Casey.

Sweeney also doesn't excite me. He was here with Casey the whole time and was reportedly the defensive guy - yep, that same defense that we all complained about non-stop. Unless he was jumping up and down trying to get Casey to try something more innovative on offense and defense and Casey just ignored him, why would we want this guy back? Because Giannis likes him? Are we really still talking about that?

14 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

You don't lose over 80% of your games if you have talent.  The Pistons added a guy who was the #7 pick, was cut in year 4, and nobody picked him up.  Think about that.  Every single contender in the league wants depth.  Every team can sign a guy to a vets minimum.  Nobody touched him.  Duren and Ivey are not that level of bad, but Pistons fan really overrate them.

Cleveland made a big jump the year they drafted Mobley and traded for Markkenan.  Then they just flatlined, even after obtaining Mitchell.  He hasn't molded anything.  Garland is lazy and doesn't play D.  Mitchell is a decent offensive player, but brutal on D.  When Drummond was there, they tried to run the offense through him.  Totally misuses Mobley.  Not a lot of accountability for certain players.

Actually, he does sound like a Pistons coach.

They had one of the biggest turnarounds in the NBA under Bickerstaff, how is that not molding a team together? As I said before, no superstars to carry them either so you can't say... well, he was carried by Luka, Jokic, Embiid etc.

I'm not sure how Mitchell being poor on D is Bickerstaff's fault, he was like that under every coach. How did he misuse Mobley? Which players weren't held accountable?  I see every fanbase say this about their coach but I rarely see concrete examples given. With Monty, we had real examples of his failures. Starting Hayes for as long as he did. the regressions of Duren, Ivey, Ausar as the season wore on, failing to stagger the starters putting in the entire bench unit only to watch them get destroyed yet still keep them in etc.

As I said before, Bickerstaff wouldn't be my top choice and I'm sure he has some flaws like every coach does but I'm having a hard time seeing a guy that turned a 19 win team into a 44 win team in 2 seasons as a disaster. Everybody loves Atkinson and Quinn but what do they have over Bickerstaff?

39 minutes ago, NYLion said:

They had one of the biggest turnarounds in the NBA under Bickerstaff, how is that not molding a team together? As I said before, no superstars to carry them either so you can't say... well, he was carried by Luka, Jokic, Embiid etc.

I'm not sure how Mitchell being poor on D is Bickerstaff's fault, he was like that under every coach. How did he misuse Mobley? Which players weren't held accountable?  I see every fanbase say this about their coach but I rarely see concrete examples given. With Monty, we had real examples of his failures. Starting Hayes for as long as he did. the regressions of Duren, Ivey, Ausar as the season wore on, failing to stagger the starters putting in the entire bench unit only to watch them get destroyed yet still keep them in etc.

As I said before, Bickerstaff wouldn't be my top choice and I'm sure he has some flaws like every coach does but I'm having a hard time seeing a guy that turned a 19 win team into a 44 win team in 2 seasons as a disaster. Everybody loves Atkinson and Quinn but what do they have over Bickerstaff?

kenny atkinson took this collection of misfit toys to a 42 win season and the playoffs.

quinn is a part of the best front office/coaching staff in the league.

Screenshot_20240621_111828_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1