2024 Pistons Head Coach Search

8 minutes ago, NYLion said:

They had one of the biggest turnarounds in the NBA under Bickerstaff, how is that not molding a team together? As I said before, no superstars to carry them either so you can't say... well, he was carried by Luka, Jokic, Embiid etc.

I'm not sure how Mitchell being poor on D is Bickerstaff's fault, he was like that under every coach. How did he misuse Mobley? Which players weren't held accountable?  I see every fanbase say this about their coach but I rarely see concrete examples given. With Monty, we had real examples of his failures. Starting Hayes for as long as he did. the regressions of Duren, Ivey, Ausar as the season wore on, failing to stagger the starters putting in the entire bench unit only to watch them get destroyed yet still keep them in etc.

As I said before, Bickerstaff wouldn't be my top choice and I'm sure he has some flaws like every coach does but I'm having a hard time seeing a guy that turned a 19 win team into a 44 win team in 2 seasons as a disaster. Everybody loves Atkinson and Quinn but what do they have over Bickerstaff?

I already answered most of this.  

Atkinson took a team that should have won 25 games and made the playoffs.  I also like he has been on Kerr's bench since then.

I don't know much about Quinn except he is highly respected and sits next to Spo.  Hiring a first time HC is always a crap shoot.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

kenny atkinson took this collection of misfit toys to a 42 win season and the playoffs.

quinn is a part of the best front office/coaching staff in the league.

Screenshot_20240621_111828_Chrome.jpg

Yes, I like Atkinson but we're basing it on one year of success. 

Patricia was part of the best front office and coaching staff in the league. "Heat Culture" could very well be the new "Patriot Way" for all we know. 

This is what I'm saying, there's risk with every coach but I don't know why Bickerstaff's successful run with the Cavs makes him a disaster while Atkinson and Quinn are the right choices. You're taking a leap of faith with any of these guys. Outside of a few coaches, who knows who is really good or not. 

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Patricia was part of the best front office and coaching staff in the league. "Heat Culture" could very well be the new "Patriot Way" for all we know. 

This is what I'm saying, there's risk with every coach but I don't know why Bickerstaff's successful run with the Cavs makes him a disaster while Atkinson and Quinn are the right choices. You're taking a leap of faith with any of these guys. Outside of a few coaches, who knows who is really good or not. 

like you said, any coach would be a risk.

atkinson took over the nets when they were the worst team in the league with no draft choices (they traded them all to boston who turned them into tatum and brown) and he got them to .500 in three years.  that's why everyone loves him.  bickerstaff took over a cleveland team that then aquired a top 3 pick and a star offensive player.  much different situation.

quinn is a crap shoot, agreed.  but he is well liked around the league.

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

like you said, any coach would be a risk.

atkinson took over the nets when they were the worst team in the league with no draft choices (they traded them all to boston who turned them into tatum and brown) and he got them to .500 in three years.  that's why everyone loves him.  bickerstaff took over a cleveland team that then aquired a top 3 pick and a star offensive player.  much different situation.

quinn is a crap shoot, agreed.  but he is well liked around the league.

Bickerstaff turned them around before they acquired the star player ftr.

Either way, I think you'd agree that this team isn't going anywhere until the roster is fixed. As awful as Monty was, and he was truly awful, a coach still needs players to work with so Langdon has his work cut out for him regardless of who the new coach is.

51 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Bickerstaff turned them around before they acquired the star player ftr.

Either way, I think you'd agree that this team isn't going anywhere until the roster is fixed. As awful as Monty was, and he was truly awful, a coach still needs players to work with so Langdon has his work cut out for him regardless of who the new coach is.

he won 22 games and then got mobley and markkanen.  im not saying he did a bad job, but he didnt do what atkinson did.  he had talent, atkinson had next to nothing.

When you’ve been an absolute dumpster fire for a decade plus, and you have an absolute moron for an owner, what kind of candidates would actually want the job? Let’s be real here. They have no direction. Weaver changed course 4-5 times in his tenure alone. So I know some of you are excited about Langdon and what he could potentially do. All I see is another Gores hire. With each new GM and each new coach they are further and further down the drain. 
Yes they have a lottery pick. They’ve had one for how many years in a row? Who cares. Yes they have 65 million in cap space. What decent FA would want to play on this team. I see so many problems and now we get to have another offseason where we are told “This season won’t be measured by wins and losses” and “it’s about the future”.  Yay. Another rebuild. 

I would love to punch Tom Gores right in the face for ruining my favorite team. 

11 hours ago, NYLion said:

Well said. Also success elsewhere doesn’t always translate to other organizations. We just witnessed this with Monty Williams. Monty was an excellent coach in Phoenix, and only cared about cashing a check in Detroit. 

I wouldn’t expect a great hire. Detroit is the type of job you pass on if you’re a good candidate and that’s completely on Tom Gores.