Lions Backup QB Situation

https://www.motownlions.com/2024/06/20/nfl-analyst-suggests-the-lions-trade-hendon-hooker-and-sign-veteran-quarterback-with-ties-to-dan-campbell/

Someone please explain this to me. Why would the Lions use a third rounder on this guy to trade him for a 4th or later? I don't understand why so many people want to trade Hendon Hooker. To me, if he can start somewhere else, that makes him a premium backup. Why not (if he's ready) use him as your backup, cut Nate Sudfeld or send him to the practice squad? To me, having HH around is a benefit. I think HH is better than Sudfeld now, and God forbid if Goff went down, who would we want out there? 

Also, Aaron Rodgers sat behind Brett Farve for YEARS just like Jordan Love sat behind Aaron Rodgers. I guess I'm not understanding why we wouldn't want a successor to be in our system for multiple years. Even if he isn't the successor, to have a premium backup at QB of all places isn't a bad thing is it? Who cares how old he is. He can play in the NFL for 10 years. If he's a premium backup for 10 years, so be it. What am I missing?

P.S. - Ryan Tannehill is a good player. But he's looking for a job. So why would the Raiders as mentioned in this article trade a pick when they can sign Ryan without dumping a pick.... That too doesn't make sense. Now if some team offered a 1st rounder for HH, then we should pay someone to pack his bags. But anything else, forget about it. 

20 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Backup QB is not a position I intend to think about for the next three years.

Unless Hooker is taking a knee or handing the ball off to Craig Reynolds up 31. At that point I’ll be enough beers in to have a good laugh at his name again. 

But you have to because luck is going to run out at some point and Jared Goff will miss a game or two (hopefully no more).   We have no idea how good Hendon is.   It's about game management and not raw talent, so I think his ability to read defenses and his timing are more important than anything.      I think Hooker is the backup but it never hurts to have another possible option incase of an injury or he just looks overmatched.    We'll get a little bit of an idea in preseason how he is with timing.   They took him for a reason.    I trust in Brad.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But you have to because luck is going to run out at some point and Jared Goff will miss a game or two (hopefully no more).   We have no idea how good Hendon is.   It's about game management and not raw talent, so I think his ability to read defenses and his timing are more important than anything.      I think Hooker is the backup but it never hurts to have another possible option incase of an injury or he just looks overmatched.    We'll get a little bit of an idea in preseason how he is with timing.   They took him for a reason.    I trust in Brad.   

At the bar tonight I was approached by someone in a Nats hat who saw my Lions sweatshirt and asked me my thoughts on Hendon Hooker and whether the Lions should trade him. Rather bizarre given the timing of this thread.

I’m sure Brad and Dan will think about backup QB and Hooker’s development. I just don’t intend to (because Goff is invincible and will never ever get hurt). Fans aren’t going to see enough from Hooker in the preseason to tell anything anyway. Even if he plays all 12 quarters, he’s too young in his NFL development, and the preseason is not a representative sample (good or bad).

They still have good ole Nate Sudfeld on the roster. I expect them to keep him around as the emergency third QB.

I suspect the "hot take" logic here is that whatever you paid for Hooker is in the past. That's "money" spent and you're not getting it back. *IF* Hooker is just going to ride the pine for the next 3-4 years that's equivalent (in terms of on the field performance) as drafting a 3rd rounder who had a career ending injury in his first game and retired. The logic would be getting something... anything... for Hooker would be better than him just keeping the bench warm.

Of course that logic assumes that Goff stays health and productive for the next 3-4 years AND that the Lions aren't going to extend Hooker if they see him developing into a potential star QB. We very well may look back in 2028 and say: Goff never was out for long (or ever) and Hooker doesn't look like the heir apparent... we should have traded him for whatever we could have gotten. 

I suspect that it won't play out just like that and I don't think we'll get enough value in return for trading Hooker, but it's certainly possible.

12 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

At the bar tonight I was approached by someone in a Nats hat who saw my Lions sweatshirt and asked me my thoughts on Hendon Hooker and whether the Lions should trade him. Rather bizarre given the timing of this thread.

I’m sure Brad and Dan will think about backup QB and Hooker’s development. I just don’t intend to (because Goff is invincible and will never ever get hurt). Fans aren’t going to see enough from Hooker in the preseason to tell anything anyway. Even if he plays all 12 quarters, he’s too young in his NFL development, and the preseason is not a representative sample (good or bad).

They still have good ole Nate Sudfeld on the roster. I expect them to keep him around as the emergency third QB.

Fans may not see much in the preseason but the coaches should. The way Hooker reads defenses and calling plays that utilizes his abilities are all good to know if he's ever needed in an emergency. Good coaches put players in the best situations for success. 

12 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I suspect the "hot take" logic here is that whatever you paid for Hooker is in the past. That's "money" spent and you're not getting it back. *IF* Hooker is just going to ride the pine for the next 3-4 years that's equivalent (in terms of on the field performance) as drafting a 3rd rounder who had a career ending injury in his first game and retired. The logic would be getting something... anything... for Hooker would be better than him just keeping the bench warm.

Of course that logic assumes that Goff stays health and productive for the next 3-4 years AND that the Lions aren't going to extend Hooker if they see him developing into a potential star QB. We very well may look back in 2028 and say: Goff never was out for long (or ever) and Hooker doesn't look like the heir apparent... we should have traded him for whatever we could have gotten. 

I suspect that it won't play out just like that and I don't think we'll get enough value in return for trading Hooker, but it's certainly possible.

All I'm saying is, who would you rather have if Goff did get hurt..... Sudfeld a career backup or a potential starter in Hooker? I'll go with the potential starter......