6/22/24 1:10PM White Sox @ Tigers

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hot and humid in Det. Ball should be flying. Expect another shutout.

It was so strange to watch the Yankees Braves game on Apple TV last night. Everybody looked like they knew how to hit a baseball. You could read it in their body language when they walk to the plate like they had contact harbored in their bodies, waiting to be expressed through the barrel of the bat. I sometimes think our guys are afraid of the ball. They look tentative, not confident. Sometimes confidence is mere performativity, an act. But in the other game I watched last night, these guys all seemed to know what they were doing, and a lot of times our guys don’t. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

It was so strange to watch the Yankees Braves game on Apple TV last night. Everybody looked like they knew how to hit a baseball. You could read it in their body language when they walk to the plate like they had contact harbored in their bodies, waiting to be expressed through the barrel of the bat. I sometimes think our guys are afraid of the ball. They look tentative, not confident. Sometimes confidence is mere performativity, an act. But in the other game I watched last night, these guys all seemed to know what they were doing, and a lot of times our guys don’t. 

Great points.  Confidence comes with experience and success.  Relying on a young unproven lineup was probably a mistake.  An opposing pitcher has a much easier go of it being able to pitch without runners on base.

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I watch a lot of games since I bought the MLB app. What I find refreshing is other teams announcers actually call the game and they don't spend multiple innings giggling like 3rd graders.

• Like 1

At least we’ve avoided the tedium of both teams no hitting each other, which in the case of each would be due not to great pitching, but to bad hitting. They’re like two hobos fighting in the alley for the driest place next to the dumpster in which to pass out. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

I'm excited to go into next season with Maeda still on this staff...unless Harris admits he f*cked up and talks Chris I into cutting him and eating $12mill, ha, yeah right.

Have you heard he's great once we get to June?

We joked when the Tigers scored 13 runs against the Astros about it being their runs for the week and things like that but since that game a week ago the Tigers have scored 5 runs total. Turns out we were being a way too generous when we thought 13 runs was a weeks worth. 

So, again with the City Connects today. I thought they were supposed to be rare and special?

Look, I admit I’m an old man, and I do like certain traditions, and I do whine when they are flouted, and I don’t feel any pride in being like that, but it is what it is. But I think it is fair to ask whether the Tigers are hurting their essential brand equity by wearing City Connects every day. The traditional uniform, and particularly the cap, are iconic brand symbols going back more than a century. I mean that literally—this is from 1923:

image.jpeg.245ce8780e01ec8ce288757e6f4c2786.jpeg

(Don’t focus on the pinstripes on two of the guys. I can’t explain that.)

So this is a well-established look, the look that’s been driving hundreds of millions, maybe even into the billions, of dollars in merchandise sales over the years, and continues to do so. And by wearing the City Connects every game, they are basically repudiating this look that they have, again, spent more than a century cultivating.

I accept that City Connects are not going away and teams will continue wear them until they fall out of favor, which will hopefully be soon (although maybe not). But in the meantime, someone from the Tigers has got to step in and put a stop to players wearing them every. God. Damned. Home game. It’s too much, but more importantly, it hurts the essence of the brand.

• Like 3

Just now, chasfh said:

So, again with the City Connects today. I thought they were supposed to be rare and special?

Look, I admit I’m an old man, and I do like certain traditions, and I do whine when they are flouted, and I don’t feel any pride in being like that, but it is what it is. But I think it is fair to ask whether the Tigers are hurting their essential brand equity by wearing City Connects every day. The traditional uniform, and particularly the cap, are iconic brand symbols going back more than a century. I mean that literally—this is from 1923:

image.jpeg.245ce8780e01ec8ce288757e6f4c2786.jpeg

(Don’t focus on the pinstripes on two of the guys. I can’t explain that.)

So this is a well-established look, the look that’s been driving hundreds of millions, maybe even into the billions, of dollars in merchandise sales over the years, and continues to do so. And by wearing the City Connects every game, they are basically repudiating this look that they have, again, spent more than a century cultivating.

I accept that City Connects are not going away and teams will continue wear them until they fall out of favor, which will hopefully be soon (although maybe not). But in the meantime, someone from the Tigers has got to step in and put a stop to players wearing them every. God. Damned. Home game. It’s too much, but more importantly, it hurts the essence of the brand.

If they win with them on Friday, they wear them all weekend unless they lose.