6/23/24 1:40 PM White Sox @ Tigers

IdahoBert

49 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you strictly platoon young players out of the gate, you guarantee the inability to hit same side pitching will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I am mildly surprised that a team supposedly committed to development would take such a short term gain at the risk of long term loss approach. But if you follow the numbers to win today, that's where you end up.

Almost as though they have no idea what they're doing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

10 games in a row.  Everybody is going to start at some point.

He hit a homer.    Blind Squirrel today.   Good for him.   Happy for him.     No, take him back and bring me those melted cheese sandwich appetizers you talked me out of ! 

A - Put a blanket around Reese Olson and get him some fluids.  He must be in shock that his team scored 5 runs in a game he started. 

B - That White Sox pitcher really sucks.  

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Almost as though they have no idea what they're doing

Or you are just seeing their real opinion of the player's future. Riley plays full time, but even with the investment they have made in Keith and their supposed faith in him as a hitter, he been allowed only 28 PA against LHP so far. Don't like that.

Maybe the team would claim that since he hasn't been off a great start they are trying to protect him, but it's still coming at a cost of him not getting to see that pitching.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

It's like crawling through the desert, no runs. Drinking our own urine for a run. Today we arrive at an oasis. Drinking our fill of runs. Reese Olson jumps naked into the water because he has been the most run deprived. Tonight we sleep, satiated. Tomorrow we wake and realize we are still in the middle of the desert and the Phillies are on the horizon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Or you are just seeing their real opinion of the player's future. Riley plays full time, but even with the investment they have made in Keith and their supposed faith in him as a hitter, he been allowed only 28 PA against LHP so far. Don't like that.

Maybe the team would claim that since he hasn't been off a great start they are trying to protect him, but it's still coming at a cost of him not getting to see that pitching.

Yeah, i don't disagree with that. Coming into the game 12% of Keith's PAs are against LHB, vvs 22% of all Tigers PAs and 26% of all AL PAs. It's not as though he's being sat against all LHP starters, necessarily: Keith has started 61 of the Tigers' 76 games, which is not exactly a platoon situation. And he is sucking wind against LHP, which raises a chicken or egg question. He didn't have that split last year in Toledo. So, who knows. I would think he is sitting against some LHPs, and maybe getting pinmch hit for late in the game when LHPs come in. But I agree that he needs to see them more.

He did just get a wind-blown pop-up double against the LHP Shuster, so ... baby steps!

I got back from my walk at the botanical garden, heated up a couple egg rolls and kept checking, but the game hadn’t started yet and suddenly when I do check I see we have a 9–0 game going on. Once again when I’ve absent, the team does better.  

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I got back from my walk at the botanical garden, heated up a couple egg rolls and kept checking, but the game hadn’t started yet and suddenly when I do check I see we have a 9–0 game going on. Once again when I’ve absent, the team does better.  

Look, Bert, we love you and everything, but ... can you take the hint, pal? 😉

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Look, Bert, we love you and everything, but ... can you take the hint, pal? 😉

It’s uncanny. It happens a lot. But they seem to suck more often when I’m not paying attention too. It may not be statistically significant. 

4 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

It’s uncanny. It happens a lot. But they seem to suck more often when I’m not paying attention too. It may not be statistically significant. 

its like going to the bathroom at a restaurant and coming back and finding your meal has arrived

54 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Uhhhh...take pregame walks more often and we'll make the playoffs. 🤣

15 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

its like going to the bathroom at a restaurant and coming back and finding your meal has arrived

So funny you say that because when my wife and I are at a restaurant and they're dragging their feet on getting our meal to us, she'll tell me to go to the bathroom so we can get it sooner.

• Haha 1