6/24/24 6:40 PM Phillies @ Tigers

IdahoBert

On December 5, 1963 the Tigers traded future Hall of Famer Jim Bunning, along with infielder Gus Triandos, to the Phillies in exchange for infielder Don Demeter and right-hander Jack Hamilton.

Bunning had been with the Tigers for nine years, posting a 118-87 record with a 3.45 ERA. He made five All-Star games, including three in a row, and was one of the most durable arms in the league. 

per Motor City Bengals 

When I saw my first game at Tiger Stadium in 1964, I believe, I saw Don Demeter hit a towering 440 foot flyball out to dead center. It was breathtaking and heartbreaking. 

When I wanted to find a picture suitable for the above post I typed “moron wearing Detroit Tiger cap“ into Google and aside from this photo, three photos of Brad Ausmus showed up among the first dozen photos, and that struck me as unfair. There was also a photo of Ian Kinsler right up near the top and also a photo of Smokes. Google is really cruel. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

On December 5, 1963 the Tigers traded future Hall of Famer Jim Bunning, along with infielder Gus Triandos, to the Phillies in exchange for infielder Don Demeter and right-hander Jack Hamilton.

Bunning had been with the Tigers for nine years, posting a 118-87 record with a 3.45 ERA. He made five All-Star games, including three in a row, and was one of the most durable arms in the league. 

per Motor City Bengals 

When I saw my first game at Tiger Stadium in 1964, I believe, I saw Don Demeter hit a towering 440 foot flyball out to dead center. It was breathtaking and heartbreaking. 

I was completely crushed when they traded Bunning. It was one of first traumatic experiences of my childhood where the adults in my life failed me. And WTF good was a greek goddess supposed to do for a baseball team?

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I was completely crushed when they traded Bunning. It was one of first traumatic experiences of my childhood where the adults in my life failed me. And WTF good was a greek goddess supposed to do for a baseball team?

If you knew Demeter was a greek goddess when you were a kid, you were raised under more elevated circumstances than myself. I’m envious.  

5 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

If you knew Demeter was a greek goddess when you were a kid, you were raised under more elevated circumstances than myself. I’m envious.  

If he knew Demeter was a greek goddess when he was a kid, it probably got him pushed into a bunch of puddles by the other kids, too. 😉

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

I'm 10 minutes late and the Tigers have already given up 4 runs? yeesh

The best part is they prolly won't score 4 runs the entire series. Unless the Phillies have such a huge lead thay let a utility player pitch.

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Mize has 46Ks on the year....he's given up 42 runs. 

I have no idea why, but ever since Mize came to the majors, he has had the problem that he can throw a sinker right at the bottom edge of the zone, which for most pitchers is a good pitch, but Casey gets hammered. Happens all the time. He has to keep to the inside/outside or his stuff low in the zone doesn't play.

Edited by gehringer_2