6/24/24 6:40 PM Phillies @ Tigers

IdahoBert

Is it possible that Casey Mize actually turned a corner today after the first inning? He sure made a heck of an adjustment and the result was eye opening. I mean if he can get strike outs that’s like finding his holy grail isn’t it ?

3 hours ago, kdog said:

Carson Kelly has given himself a decent trade market as a catcher. Decent win for Harris and his pro personnel staff.

So what?  Signing guys just to trade them is such a loser's mentality.  Wasn't the rebuild over?  If they don't watch it, they will lose close to 100 games this season.

1 hour ago, tiger2022 said:

So what?  Signing guys just to trade them is such a loser's mentality.  Wasn't the rebuild over?  If they don't watch it, they will lose close to 100 games this season.

We’re currently not getting any production out of three bats we needed to count on (Tork, Carpenter and Baez), so I do think we’re in trouble unless something clicks for Keith, Malloy, Kreidler and/or Perez.  I’m not holding my breath.

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Is it possible that Casey Mize actually turned a corner today after the first inning? He sure made a heck of an adjustment and the result was eye opening. I mean if he can get strike outs that’s like finding his holy grail isn’t it ?

Another reminder, he is coming off of injury and had been shelved for quite a while.  Hopefully he can continue on an upward trajectory and finish the season strong.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

We’re currently not getting any production out of three bats we needed to count on (Tork, Carpenter and Baez), so I do think we’re in trouble unless something clicks for Keith, Malloy, Kreidler and/or Perez.  I’m not holding my breath.

Kreidler and Malloy have yet to give us any reason for optimism. Perez and Keith are doing enough to keep hope for them alive.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

I’ve been gone all night and didn’t see the game. I just looked at the box and, holy sh*t, Casey Mize. 

I just did a query, and Casey Mize is literally only the second guy in modern baseball history to strike out at least 10, walk nobody, give up at least nine hits, and do it all in 4-1/3 innings or less:

https://stathead.com/tiny/JjwEf

This is a very modern baseball thing to do. Nobody could have done this before the last ten or fifteen years, because of how the game has evolved.

Casey Mize is now showing up this today:

https://stathead.com/tiny/Rty1f

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Another reminder, he is coming off of injury and had been shelved for quite a while.  Hopefully he can continue on an upward trajectory and finish the season strong.

In another lost season, hopefully this will be a positive development.

I'm fine with using major league time to develop Mize. Wasting time with guys like McKinstry, Baddoo, Kreidler is frustrating. These guys are not part of the near future...but we have no options.

I always thought we would be done with Vic Reyes and Harold Castro...but we are back to it.

12 hours ago, chasfh said:

I’ve been gone all night and didn’t see the game. I just looked at the box and, holy sh*t, Casey Mize. 

I just did a query, and Casey Mize is literally only the second guy in modern baseball history to strike out at least 10, walk nobody, give up at least nine hits, and do it all in 4-1/3 innings or less:

https://stathead.com/tiny/JjwEf

This is a very modern baseball thing to do. Nobody could have done this before the last ten or fifteen years, because of how the game has evolved.

It struck me as odd when I saw the line too.  Thanks for confirming it.

The other thing is you wouldn't expect it from Mize who had never struck out more than 7 batters in a game previously.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, kdog said:

I'm fine with using major league time to develop Mize. Wasting time with guys like McKinstry, Baddoo, Kreidler is frustrating. These guys are not part of the near future...but we have no options.

I always thought we would be done with Vic Reyes and Harold Castro...but we are back to it.

Who do you bring up in place of McKinstry, Baddoo, and Kreidler right now?  Meadows' numerals look good, but has he done what has been asked of him?

Just now, casimir said:

Who do you bring up in place of McKinstry, Baddoo, and Kreidler right now?  Meadows' numerals look good, but has he done what has been asked of him?

Meadows is apparently still struggling with off speed pitches..sounds like they are still waiting on him to figure things out.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Kreidler and Malloy have yet to give us any reason for optimism. Perez and Keith are doing enough to keep hope for them alive.

I don't know.  I think Keith and Malloy aren't exactly too dissimilar from each other on some of their non traditional metrics.  Perez is earning his stay.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I don't know.  I think Keith and Malloy aren't exactly too dissimilar from each other on some of their non traditional metrics.  

Malloy is/has been, needs to stop being, a one trick pony, which is his walks supporting too much of his OPS, Keith is more of your normal kind of hitter.

16 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

The three hard hit balls in the 1st would normally be 2 or 3 runs at the most and he did look pretty good from there on. I also liked that he wasn't given anything up on 0-2, where Tiger pitchers have been having problem. Wanting to keep your pitch count down is one thing but you can't throw into the zone much on 0-2 when guys are primed to swing and Casey didn't.

• Like 1