6/26/24 1:10 PM Phillies @ Tigers

IdahoBert

37 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I don’t know who these two guys in suits are in these T-Mobile commercials, but this may be my least favorite commercial ever. 

From the show Suits. That commercial is the stupidest thing on TV. I keep my speaker remote handy to hit mute as fast as possible. The next worst is those singing Burger King commercials. Unwatchable.

8 minutes ago, kdog said:

This is one of those games where it's good/great team vs below average/bad team. Not much you can do.

the sad part is that the Phillies haven't even played particularly clean - they pitch and hit well enough they don't have to.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Chalk it up to micro-fractionalization of the TV market. They had an 8 yr run on Peacock in a comedy called "Suits". I had no idea who they were either. 

When I scroll through Peacock, I can scroll forever and find a little I’m interested in. The only thing I use Peacock for is watching major cycling races. Sometimes they have a movie I saw at the theater and it comes to Peacock first and I’ll watch it again. Why everybody there in the business producing content and if it’s only content it’s still a victory.

I’m not surprised how this game played out. I’m just surprised that we didn’t lose all three although having Skubal is kind of an ace in the hole. But we also actually figured out how to score runs against a great pitcher and that’s pretty amazing. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

From the show Suits. That commercial is the stupidest thing on TV. I keep my speaker remote handy to hit mute as fast as possible. The next worst is those singing Burger King commercials. Unwatchable.

Meghan Markle was an actress on Suits also

17 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Singing? Generous assessment …

18 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Jason and Dan commented on it as well but it's up to Perez to be ready and attentive to the pitcher by 8 seconds. It doesn't matter that Turnbull had his back turned. The pitcher can do cartwheels if he wants, as long as he starts his delivery by 1 second. 

This happened earlier in the season. I forget who it was. Maybe Perez wasn't on the team at that point but all batters should be aware they have to be ready. Doesn't matter what the pitcher is doing.

I didn’t see it, but the way I heard it described was, Perez was in the box and ready at ten seconds, Turnbull was diddling around, Perez than took a step back and looked down at eight seconds, then the call was made.

The way the batter portion of the time rule is written is, “Batters must be in the box and alert to the pitcher by the 8-second mark or else be charged with an automatic strike.” Perez was ready at ten seconds, so he was ready BY eight seconds, which is the letter of the rule. But he had stepped back and was apparently not ready AT eight seconds, so he got popped for it.

So it seems that even by the letter of the rule, Perez was in the clear. But even by the spirit of the rule, Perez was fine, and the umpire called it wrong. I think they should either change the wording to “at”, or else re-evaluate how that part of the rule is applied in the real world. The latter would be technically better, although the former would probably be easier.

the rule to me seems backwards... as far as I'm concerned it's a "pitch clock" not a "batters clock" and the hitter can do whatever they want but the pitcher is throwing, ready or not.  They are the ones with the ball in their hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

as far as I'm concerned it's a "pitch clock" not a "batters clock"

I'll pick a nit this far: by nomenclature this is true, but in reality it was just as much or more batters wasting time stepping out (Mike Hargrove syndrome), as pitchers wasting time that drove creation of the rule, so despite it being called 'pitch clock' it was meant to control batters as much as pitchers. That said, I agree with both your assessments. There was no sense at all in which Turnbull was waiting for Perez, so the call did not align in any way with the objective of reducing time waste.

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'll pick a nit this far: by nomenclature this is true, but in reality it was just as much or more batters wasting time stepping out (Mike Hargrove syndrome), as pitchers wasting time that drove creation of the rule, so despite it being called 'pitch clock' it was meant to control batters as much as pitchers. That said, I agree with both your assessments. There was no sense at all in which Turnbull was waiting for Perez, so the call did not align in any way with the objective of reducing time waste.

yeah I get it.  And I believe the pitcher does have to wait for the hitter, they can't get the ball back and throw it at 12 seconds remaining if the hitter isn't "ready".   I would just amend the rule to say that by 7 seconds or whatever, the pitcher is free to start their motion and the hitter has the responsibility to be ready.  but maybe it's a solution in search of a problem, is this happening all the time?

15 minutes ago, oblong said:

yeah I get it.  And I believe the pitcher does have to wait for the hitter, they can't get the ball back and throw it at 12 seconds remaining if the hitter isn't "ready".   I would just amend the rule to say that by 7 seconds or whatever, the pitcher is free to start their motion and the hitter has the responsibility to be ready.  but maybe it's a solution in search of a problem, is this happening all the time?

I like the quick games but I wonder about pitchers arms becoming fatigued during long at bats. I saw an 8 pitch at bat last week in the heat and it's like an intense workout for the pitcher.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I didn’t see it, but the way I heard it described was, Perez was in the box and ready at ten seconds, Turnbull was diddling around, Perez than took a step back and looked down at eight seconds, then the call was made.

The way the batter portion of the time rule is written is, “Batters must be in the box and alert to the pitcher by the 8-second mark or else be charged with an automatic strike.” Perez was ready at ten seconds, so he was ready BY eight seconds, which is the letter of the rule. But he had stepped back and was apparently not ready AT eight seconds, so he got popped for it.

So it seems that even by the letter of the rule, Perez was in the clear. But even by the spirit of the rule, Perez was fine, and the umpire called it wrong. I think they should either change the wording to “at”, or else re-evaluate how that part of the rule is applied in the real world. The latter would be technically better, although the former would probably be easier.

He stepped in at 10 seconds and was looking down at the ground at 8 seconds.

48 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I like the quick games but I wonder about pitchers arms becoming fatigued during long at bats. I saw an 8 pitch at bat last week in the heat and it's like an intense workout for the pitcher.

There are two ways to look at it though, with the clock the starter does his work over a shorter total time interval so the overall fatigue period is shorter. These issues are complex enough that you don't likely get an clear answer until it starts to show in real world experience if it ever does at all over all the other noise. Plus I'd put it this way - the incredible lengthening of games certainly didn't do anything obvious to reduce pitcher injury, so hard to make a strong case that returning to shorter games will be detrimental.